Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2010 Bandsters out there?

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I am feeling good and going back to work tomorrow, finally! I was out running errands with the kids today (Wal-Mart, mall) as a test run and was really tired, but not too horrible. My surgery was 12/27 so I am exactly 1 week post op.

I am finding that I am eating more than pure thin liquids (which I was supposed to be on for 2 weeks, then adding applesauce for Weeks 3, 4). I know my surgeon is being super cautious, since this is his first, but could't stand broth and Jello anymore. I tried some runny cottage cheese, baby food (bananas) and a 1 saltine mushed up in my Tomato Soup. I am eating less than a 1/4 c of the thicker liquids so I don't stretch out my pouch. I did see a less-strict diet post-op diet in one of my books. Hopefully I can combine the two.

I am looking for advice....anyone have any thoughts good or bad about this or ideas how to liven up the full liquid diet?

I was banded on 12/27/2010. I seem to have had some of the same issues that others have and I am just glad I found this site it is a wealth of information. Surgery to discharge and after ..

I look forward to reading more !!

I am doing GREAT! i had my first post op visit. i am down 13# since surgery. So i have lost a total of 26# from Sept to now. Really excited. Soreness is pretty much gone except in one spot. The port site is still a bit tender. but livable. First day back at work is tomorrow. so excited. Vits and supplements are going down great. i am so enjoying being on soft foods now. i look forward to the rest of the journey! God Bless everyone!:D

Hi All! I was banded on Monday Dec. 6th. I am 5'1" My highest weight was 239. I started the 6 months of diet and exercise in April, and my weight was 220. My weight right before surgery was 221.7. I am currently up 6 lbs from the fluids and swelling. I am having very little pain at my incisions, but my shoulders and legs are killing me! I feel like I did 100 squats! I also have been trying to follow the rules my doc gave me which is clear fluids and Protein shakes for 2 weeks. I am only supposed to sip 5 ounces of these fluids over 30 minutes. I am finding it hard to get all this Fluid in, so I am sipping as much as I can. I have experienced some pressure and tightness right below my sternum. I just assume this is "Bertha the Band" letting me know she is there :) I decided to give my band a nickname. I'm glad that I see alot of you out there who made this choice to ward off Diabetes. This has been my main reason for turning to the LapBand.

I was banded on the 6th also.

I'm almost a month out now. I was banded on December 6th. I didn't have any pre-op dieting so my starting weight was 191 and I'm 5' 4". I'm currently at 180. I meet with my doctor on Wednesday (day after tomorrow) I'm curious if it's too early to get a fill.

I also start Lindora weight loss program next Monday so I'm hoping this will speed up the weight loss for me

YAY! I hadn't met anyone yet who had the same surgery date as me :) How are you doing? I am doing much better since that first week. "Bertha" my band is treating me well, and I am down 12 lbs since surgery ( 24 since the pre-op diet was started) :) My first fill is scheduled for 1/19/11. It's Nice to meet ya!

Lori

YAY! I hadn't met anyone yet who had the same surgery date as me :) How are you doing? I am doing much better since that first week. "Bertha" my band is treating me well, and I am down 12 lbs since surgery ( 24 since the pre-op diet was started) :) My first fill is scheduled for 1/19/11. It's Nice to meet ya!

Lori

ha! You're down one pound more than me! I'm at -11 lbs. I have an appointment on Wednesday but I don't know if I get a fill. He said it's a check up but maybe I'll get lucky because I've gotten hungry in the last week.

Hello Everyone! I was banded Dec. 9th. I started my jouney at my all time high of 324 lbs. I lost a few pounds before I began my pre-surgery diet. Ended up being 302 on surgery day. I lost 9 lbs the first week. I saw my surgeon 11 days after surgery for my post op and he warned me that most people gain the first few weeks after surgery due to inflammation and swelling. I was glad he did because I was very disappointed to see that I had gained 6 lbs the day I saw him! He told me not to worry, that it was very normal and happens to everyone. I was glad he shared that with me! My surgeon progresses people a little quicker through the food stages. At day 11 he told me to eat normally...just no steak! I have lost 5 lbs of the 6 I had gained and feel my clothes getting baggy! My surgeon told me I could eat 1 cup of food! I was shocked! I don't understand how that works with having the small pouch and putting a cup of food in, but he said after the first fill is when the "magic" starts happening, and for now he just wanted m. e to concentrate on healing. I would say it took almost 2 weeks before I was feeling better, had more energy, and the pain in my chest/shoulder went away. My port site is still sore and it really gets sore if I overdo or lift too much weight. (He also repaired a hiatal hernia before he put the band on.) The last couple weeks I have had no difficulty drinking lots of Water. But I do make sure I'm not drinking during meals or if I need just a sip to get something down. I'm was doing the opurity Vitamins and Calcium. For me they are just too strong/sweet. I can hardly gag them down, so today I found a high potency liquid Vitamin at sam's club that looked like a good one, and I'm happy to say it is much more tolerable for me.

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts for the December 2010 Bandsters yet, and I look forward to reading and catching up on everyone's experiences and advice. I think this is going to be very do-able and so far I am very happy that I did it. I'm looking forward to walking this journey with all of you!

HairdoerBren

Surgery 12/9/10

324/302/294 Down 30#

I was banded on the 6th Dec too subpoptart and Lori.

I'm back to normal foods now and feeling hungry often. My Dr said I would get a fill at the next visit and hope to make it there Thursday. The surgery is 1.5 hours drive away and I don't like driving there by myself- its a big city compared to were I live smile.gif

I'm trying to keep my portions small and also trying to fill up on Proteins first. I know I need to exercise more and have just started using the Wii fit again- bit boring though. I also have the Dance game but I'm just too uncoordinated for that one at the moment laugh.gif Maybe I should try the Zumba game? Looks great but I think I lack the talent!

I'm looking forward to the first fill but nervous too.

I had a nice NSV today...I realized that the jeans I wore to work today were so loose that I could actually take them off without unbuttoning them! I knew they were getting very loose, but I had no idea they were THAT loose! So, during lunch today I went to Lane Bryant for a new pair (BTW, they are having a big sale) and ended up bringing home 2 pairs of jeans, 2 sweaters and 5 pairs of underwear all in a size smaller than I normally wear!!

This did wonders for my mood today because I have been very frustrated that the scale is not moving at all...I have been journaling my food (staying around 750-850 calories) and exercising and still nothing! My husband thinks I should try to increase my calories slightly and see what happens so I am trying to do that today. I am scheduled for my first fill next week so hopefully that will help!

Hi All!

One week down after being banded 12/27. Saw my Dr. yesterday, he said everything was looking good and I could progress from liquids to soft foods and onward over the next five weeks until my next appointment in February. Laid out his five rules, and said just finish healing and learn to live with the band, then the adjustments will start. Overall, feeling pretty good, the energy is coming back.

I am looking forward to the new year.

Take care! eko

I'm almost a month out now. I was banded on December 6th. I didn't have any pre-op dieting so my starting weight was 191 and I'm 5' 4". I'm currently at 180. I meet with my doctor on Wednesday (day after tomorrow) I'm curious if it's too early to get a fill.

I also start Lindora weight loss program next Monday so I'm hoping this will speed up the weight loss for me

Nice, I did Lindora in the past, the only other time I lost pretty significant weight. (of course gained it all back), but it's good that you go everyday, they are really on top of you about sticking to your diet!

Lost a pound today finally. haha! Started at 298, Surgery I was about 281, and now i'm 275. So 6 pounds in 3 weeks since surgery :). 100 pounds till my goal!

Doing good with my exercise, gosh I hate the gym though! It's so smelly ahaha. Didn't lost any weight this week, boo. But I guess I'm still "healing" i'm just anxious! I'm watching my portions much more carefully now.

I bought the Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook, some great ideas. All pretty simple to make too. Which is good in my tiny tiny kitchen :D

Heather, can you share a bit of info about this book? I'm looking for advice/recipes/techniques for how to eat properly with a band. Especially before i get my first fill in two weeks. Now that the honeymoon is over, my postop weight loss has ended, and I'm juggling between bandster hell and eating too much at mealtimes. That, and feeling like I'm on a "few pounds up, a few pounds down" teeter totter. I went to a local bookstore today, but found nothing about bariatric cooking. Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks, everyone.

Dave

Hello All!

I was banded on December 21st. 2 weeks ago today, and I am so glad to be moving on to pureed food! It's so nice to have other people in the same boat as me! So far I am down 25 lbs from my starting weight (this includes 3 months of pre-op dieting). It's harder and harder to stay full for very long right now, and I can't wait until I have some fills and can get to that restriction point.

I went back to work yesterday and after two days it's pretty hard to sit at my desk in one place all day, it hurts on my port incision. But to be truthful, I actually feel better than I thought I would at this point.

It's so nice to meet you all and I can't weight to go on this journey with you!