Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to go to Mexico - Juarez

I am planning on having my surgery in December of 2010, In Juarez. But I don't have enough time to get a passport, but my facilitator assured me that I will be ok with just my ID and birth certificate for a one time trip.

But in Juarez there is alot of crime and americans are coming up missing? How safe is it really. Am I being a scardy cat for nothing?

You might want to checkout the passport requirements yourself. I was under the impression that passports were required as of 2007. I sure would hate to get stuck in Mexico.

No passport is required to get in to Mexico but you will probably need it to get back in the US.

Here is a link I found which may help: Passport RQD

It is my understanding that a passport is necessary as of 2007. We used to be able to cross in and out of Canada with only a birth certificate. We now need a passport.

As for missing Americans...I would think you would be safe as long as you don't go driving off into out of the way places. I know people that visit there several times a year and they never have a problem.

Have you made arrangements for a doctor here in the states to get your fills? Keep in mind that you might need to see your 'fill' doctor once a month. If you're lucky, you won't have problems requiring an unfill after a fill. If you're planning on making the trip to Mexico for your fills...are you prepared to make that trip once a month or so for 'possibly' the first year? According to my surgeon it's very normal for the first year.

If I was you I would not go to Juarez, It is too dangerous down there right now. My husband is from Mexico and ½ of his family lives in Matamores and it is very dangerous there too. Juarez was just on the news again today. The cartels are threatening all the teachers (federal employees in Mexico) to turn over their Christmas Bonus or teachers and children will die. I met a Lady on this board and she was scheduled through some program to have her surgery in Mexico too but a couple of days before a lot of people died there and she call her company and said she could not do it so they told her is could go to a Dr in Detroit instead for the same price. If you are interested PM me and I will call her and asked the name of company.

The first weekend in November I went to a WLS Conference in Houston. Met a few people who had the Lapband and Sleeve in Mexico and were very happy with that Dr and he is not in Juarez. I am going to give you his name, BUT I know nothing about him EXCEPT what I was told. I was banded in Houston, but these people spoke highly of him and he was one of the venders there giving out information that is why I have a card

Dr. Guillermo Alvarez

Toll free # 1-888-214-5884

Please be careful in whatever you do. We are all dying to be skinny but we do not want to be dead really!!! And people are dying in Mexico right now. I am sure we will now hear from everyone who has been banded in Mexico, but it is the truth it is not safe down there whether you live there or are visiting not right now anyway. Please research really good where you will be going and if you will be on your own anytime. How you will get back and forth from the hospital to the border. The drug cartels do not care who you are. Also you do have to have a passport or a passport card (45.00) to get back in US unless you are flying then you need full passport. You can pay a little bit more and get it in less than 2 weeks

Cheri Rodriguez

I am planning on having my surgery in December of 2010, In Juarez. But I don't have enough time to get a passport, but my facilitator assured me that I will be ok with just my ID and birth certificate for a one time trip.

But in Juarez there is alot of crime and americans are coming up missing? How safe is it really. Am I being a scardy cat for nothing?

You might be able to get an expedited passport if you can go to a local passport office (make an appointment!!) and show proof of an upcoming trip (within two weeks, typically). YOU WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO LEAVE THE US FOR Mexico WITHOUT A PASSPORT. Don't even try it. The won't even let you get a boarding pass at the airport without the passport. Good luck!!!

Frankly, I would stay out of Juarez. If you do go, be careful!!!

I believe you need to do some research for yourself and not rely on what we may say. Some will say it is safe, some will say it is dangerous. Personally, I would not go into Juarez right now and I'm a very seasoned Mexico traveler. But that's JMO and you need to check out CNN.com and other newspaper reports.

I believe you need to do some research for yourself and not rely on what we may say. Some will say it is safe, some will say it is dangerous. Personally, I would not go into Juarez right now and I'm a very seasoned Mexico traveler. But that's JMO and you need to check out CNN.com and other newspaper reports.

Consider checking out state.gov. That is the US Department of State and you can look up any advisories they might have for any location you want to visit. Plus, you would be able to find contact information for the US Embassies for the country you visit -- just in case.

The name of that place is “Beliteweight” in Detorit I saw it it on another thread. She has her chioce of Mexico or Detorit for the same price. My doctor has lowered his price for self pay to $10,000 he is a great Dr in Houston.

Cheri

I wouldn't sweat it. You better at least have your birth certificat though. As far as violence, just get in and get out and you will be fine. If you wonder about at night, don't. I have friends that go to Tijuana all the time, myself included and we have never had a problem. ...we do have passports though!

good luck!

I would not go to Juarez - not for surgery - not for anything. A friend of mine has family in Mexico and her uncle was kidnapped by the drug cartel. They paid the ransom and her uncle was dropped off at a hospital but later died from a stroke he had while held captive. The hospital told the family that it was not uncommon for the drug cartel members to call and ask if certain people were at the hospital and if they were and the hospital did not hand them over to the cartel they would kill hospital staff - so the hospital does as requested by the cartel. This is not one of those friend of a friend of a friend stories - this is true - and my neither my friend or her family are involved in drugs - the cartel targets Americans & Mexicans who have family in America who they believe have money to pay the ransom. My friend didn't even go to Mexico for her uncle's funeral because she is a single mother and was afraid to take the risk. Your decision of course - but I wouldn't go anywhere near Juarez.

I would not to go to Jaurez for anything! I live in El Paso, Tx. Jaurez is basically across the street. It's easy to ignore the news or feel everything is being exagerated in regards to the violence when you don't live around here. Other people have posted about options in the U.S. I would definitely look into those options!

Yeah, if there is one place in Mexico I wouldn't be going right now, it is Juarez. It's a dangerous place for anyone, not just American.

I went to Mexico Tijuana to be exact for my surgery and YES you need a passport. As far as the crime and stuff "Don't believe the Hype" Mexico is no more dangerous then shady parts of America. If you go there looking for trouble your gonna get trouble, I have friends that live in Mexico and they say that it's not as bad as people make it out to be...

But you have to make that decision on what is right for you and what you are comfertable with.

Here is the link for passport requirements, you need one to come back from Mexico:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

You cannot get the passport card without a passport book.

Other info from the state department:

Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of Mexico. The “border zone” is generally defined as an area within 20 to 30 kilometers of the border with the U.S., depending on the location. Regardless of the destination in Mexico, however, all U.S. citizens age 16 or older must present a valid U.S. passport or passport card to re-enter the U.S., even by land.

All Americans traveling outside of the United States by air, land or sea (except closed-loop cruises) are required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card.

Travel warnings for Mexico:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html

Best wishes for your decision!

I do not want to start an arguement, but it is not hype. Watch the news, pull up the bordering towns newspapers and read for yourself. My husband's family lives in Matamores, Mexico bordering with Brownsville and they all are scared, their way of life has changed. People do not go into the city at night anymore and a lot of businesses or going out of business, people call them and their neighbors on the phone and threaten them. They are living in fear.

I do not care if you have surgery in Mexico . . . if I could have not afforded it in the U.S. I might have considered going there before this last year. There are good and bad Drs in every country, but that is not what the danger is. It is the cartel members. I can't stand to read people saying it is not true when it is. Please, please as you are researching your DR please research the area you are going to just as much. If you walk down the streets in Mexico it is hard to tell the vistors from those who live there and that is really true of the border towns. Just type in Juarez and research it. Thanksgiving weekend our family had a really big celebration and we did not go as it is just too dangerous and I want my Grandbabies to have a Grandma. It is not the Doctors or the people of Mexico it is the drug cartels and they only care about making money, they are not even loyal to each other . . . innocent people are getting killed to show which cartel is stronger. Okay I have said enough but please just check it our for yourself not with people who had surgery later than a year ago because too much has changed in the last year. Promise that all I will say about it.

Cheri