Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Pills during Post-Op?

Okay, i know this is extreme...but so was going to Mexico to get my LapBand!

I am 4 weeks post-op and literally hungry and starving every day. I have gained all my pre-op weight back and soooo frustrated.

Let's face it, we all got the LapBand because we have no will power. I just want a little restriction, something, anything to help curb my appetite.

No, I don't eat like crap! I eat relatively healthy (if I ate religiously healthy than I wouldn't have had a need for a LapBand), but it's not like I sit around eating cheeseburgers and shakes!

I keep my calories to a minimum (1200-1500) a day. No, that is not too much as I exercise and work 60 hours a week, so I need some extra calories to keep functioning.

I just found some of my old diet pills and started taking them to get me to my first fill. Wow, I forgot how great they work! I wish my band felt like this. I know this is really sad that I feel the need to take diet pills when I already have the LapBand, but the band is not working the way it should! I am so frustrated and really regretting the procedure.

Is anybody else feeling the same way?

(please don't post a bunch of comments saying "just wait" or "it will get better" as I don't need to hear that... my misery needs company)

Sincerely,

Starving & Hungry with an Alien port sticking out!

Let's face it, we all got the LAP-BAND® because we have no will power. I just want a little restriction, something, anything to help curb my appetite.

No, I don't eat like crap! I eat relatively healthy (if I ate religiously healthy than I wouldn't have had a need for a LAP-BAND®), but it's not like I sit around eating cheeseburgers and shakes!

I keep my calories to a minimum (1200-1500) a day. No, that is not too much as I exercise and work 60 hours a week, so I need some extra calories to keep functioning.

I just found some of my old diet pills and started taking them to get me to my first fill. Wow, I forgot how great they work! I wish my band felt like this. I know this is really sad that I feel the need to take diet pills when I already have the LAP-BAND®, but the band is not working the way it should! I am so frustrated and really regretting the procedure.

Is anybody else feeling the same way?

(please don't post a bunch of comments saying "just wait" or "it will get better" as I don't need to hear that... my misery needs company)

Sincerely,

Starving & Hungry with an Alien port sticking out!

Please understand that I mean my responses in the NICEST possible way.

Let's face it, we all got the LAP-BAND® because we have no will power. I just want a little restriction, something, anything to help curb my appetite.

You still need a lot of willpower for the band to be successful. The band does 1/4 of the work, you have to have the willpower to do the rest.

Some people get the band because they're hungry all the time...I'm sure if you told a thin person who's hungry to stop eating, they wouldn't.

No, I don't eat like crap! I eat relatively healthy (if I ate religiously healthy than I wouldn't have had a need for a LAP-BAND®), but it's not like I sit around eating cheeseburgers and shakes!

Where I'm from a doctor will only approve a patient for LAP-BAND if they've tried everything else and failed. I'm assuming this is going to be different in other places, but I think it's a pretty important factor...I think that surgery should be the last resort.

I just found some of my old diet pills and started taking them to get me to my first fill. Wow, I forgot how great they work! I wish my band felt like this. I know this is really sad that I feel the need to take diet pills when I already have the LAP-BAND®, but the band is not working the way it should! I am so frustrated and really regretting the procedure.

Lucky. For some reason appetite suppressants didn't work as well for me as the band did...I don't think you should regret the band until you get your first fill. I felt the same way :-)

You need to do what's best for you. No judgement here on that one!

Uhhh...I don't quite know how to answer your question then lol. I felt the same way as you did (except I may have been a bit more pissed off than you). I was in depression for a few weeks after the band because it wasn't supressing my appetite. After I'd had a fill I felt great and everything went fine.

I know how agonisingly annoying it is to hold back from food, but it gets easier.

So far I've lost 15 kilos in under 2 months. That's 33 lbs. I didn't really start losing my weight until I got a fill. I exercise for 10 hours a week and don't eat refined sugar or carbs. For me that's been as tough as hell to overcome. I remember sitting in my bed thinking about the full fat yogurt downstairs in the fridge and crying to myself. Yes, crying. I then remembered eating a giant pizza right before my surgery and crying AFTER that...I think knowing how bad I'll feel after eating it is my greatest motivation to keep away from food.< /p>

I really hope this works out for you. I know this isn't something you wanna here but...It gets easier :-P

I am 4 weeks post-op and literally hungry and starving every day.

Of course you are. The band doesn't magically keep you from being hungry just because it's there. You need your fills to get your band to the point where it's working with you.

I keep my calories to a minimum (1200-1500) a day. No, that is not too much as I exercise

No, 1200 is not a lot of calories. In fact it is what many studies say is ideal. That may not be true for you. Some people here say they gain above 800 calories. I can eat 1200 calories *but* it has to be very low carb. Some can eat 1200 calories and higher carb. You'll have to find what is true for you.

I just found some of my old diet pills and started taking them to get me to my first fill.

All I will say to this is (a) medications change over time and can have some unintended effect as they age, (:) taking someone else's medication is illegal. No judgments, just something to keep in mind.

but the band is not working the way it should! I am so frustrated and really regretting the procedure.

Of course it's working the way it should be, but it sounds as if you didn't research how the band works. In order for it to work, you must get your fills until you reach restriction. Some people start feeling restriction with one fill. Some need several. A lot depends on how aggressive your doctor will let you be with fills, how you handle those fills and how your particular body deals with the band/fills. In all honesty, if you wanted something that would let you lose weight right away, you should've gotten the sleeve or a bypass.

It sounds to me like that is exactly what you need to hear. The only real advice anyone can give you is to 'just wait' and get your fills. Be patient and 'it will get better'.

I've had my own struggles with my band and it has taken me a year to get it to the point where I know how to work it *and* it's working for me. I could've given up anywhere along the way...as so many here could have but didn't.

I say this in all kindness, if you intend to be successful with the band, I'd suggest dumping the self-pity and researching what you need to do to make this successful since you've already come this far and just do it. At 4 weeks postop you should be ready for your first fill. Take the next step.

Edited by ElfiePoo

I am sorry that you are feeling this way, however, I have been banded since September 2nd, and have lost 28 pounds on sheer will power alone, I have yet to get a fill. Please don't make assumptions about us all getting banded because we have no will power. I was banded because I realized I needed HELP. I am sorry for this, and people will probably get mad, but if we have no desire to do some of the work ourselves, we will fail. I say this only because my surgeon, nutritionist, and all of the research says that the band is a TOOL! It is not a miracle. And I know you asked for people not to say this but it does get better. If we don't work on our mental issues with food and being obese, then nothing is going to change. This is a life changing event, and you have to look at it as so. I hate posting things like this because I am SO NOT PERFECT!! At the end of the day, I am a food addict, just like and alcoholic loves alcohol...it is hard to go every day (and sometimes I slip up-we are only human) without my fix. But every day it does get better. As for the diet pills, I would talk to my doctor, if I were you. They never really did much for me.

I really do wish you the best of luck on your journey, and remember too...everyone's journey is different. So take what I am saying with a grain of salt, but think of your band as a tool.

Your question is not really a question at all. Diet pills may have an adverse reaction to your banding procedure. It could be dangerous and cause a drastic dip in your bodies health. The Band is only supposed to take 1-2 lbs off a week. This is not a miracle cure, it requires will power and drastic change in ones lifestyle. Protein shakes for weeks after, then mushy foods and then real food, 1/4 to 1/2 a cup three times a day.

You want people to agree with you and not tell you it will get better, but it does. Slower weight loss is healthier for your body, rapid weight loss can cause gall stones, hair loss, excess loose flabby skin.

Oh and I for one did not get this surgery due to lack of will power, I got it because I have medical conditions that make it nearly impossible for me to loose weight. I understood going into this that it was a long slow process. That I would have to wait for the fills to truly help me feel full. In order to feel full now I have to load up on Proteins to keep my sasiated.

Good luck, it's your body, your choice, but know the risks involved. You should still be under a doctors care at 4 weeks post op.

As long as you keep thinking things like "I have no willpower" and "I just want people to agree this is too hard", then you're setting yourself up for failure. The mental game we play with ourselves over food is probably even more important than what we actually put in our mouths.

This is hard, but it isn't too hard. And actually, I do have willpower-- at least for as long as it takes to lose weight. I got the band to help me maintain the loss in the end. Right now, I have no restriction and believe me, I can sympathize with feeling like you still have to do most of the work on your own. But the thing that is different now is that I know I won't *always* have no help-- that if I keep going in for adjustments, eventually the band is going to kick in and give me the help I need. That hope for the future is enough to keep me going.

No fill means no band help. It was'nt until my third fill that I started to have any restriction; and it is not perfect even now (3 months out with 7CC). Personally I do have really good will power which can go for months on end. It's the life long, never having any treats that gets to me.

Before surgery I had to attend 3 group therapy sessions with a Psychologist (not just a support group but a real therapy session). We discussed what triggered us to eat; how we looked at food; what our relationship was with it. Perhaps you should consider seeing a therapist to gain some insite into your food triggers. In regards to eating healthy at my first consult I told the Psychologist I was the healthiest eating fat person I knew. He asked me why is that- at the time I did'nt have an answer. My issue is Portion Control and not knowing when to stop. I used to buy children's Cereal to eat as a snack/dessert. I ate it straight out of the box by hand; figuring that it was low in fat so it was a good choice. My problem is that I would eat half the box in one setting. Literally At 100 cal serving say 7 servings that 700 calories!

I had actually considered a similar thing. I have ADHD medicine that one of the side effects is a very decreased appetite and corresponding weight loss. I actually stopped taking these pills a while back because I didn't like the other side effects (up all night, being jittery, working unneccesary overtime).

I had considered taking them again pre-op because they do help with my ADHD, but I realized my main motivation was the weight loss. However, I didn't want to take any medicine pre-op unless it was very necessary, just because I was afraid how it would interfere with the surgery and anesthesia.

I have then considered taking it post-op, but my concern there was that I wanted to show my Dr. my real weight loss with the band alone, because I think this will determine how much of a fill I get. If I take the medicine and loose quite a bit of weight, I'd be afraid the Dr. would not give me a fill, or at least less of a fill that I would actually need had I not taken the medicine. Also, I'm afraid if I loose weight too quickly, that I'll have more saggy skin after I loose the weight. I really don't want that.

I still haven't ruled out taking the medicine, but I want at least one or two fills before I decide to, for the reasons mentioned above. But I think after that I may consider taking a small (1/4) dose of what I would normally take. But who knows, maybe after a couple of fills, I won't need the extra tools of the pills to help loose weight.

Also, for my own thoughts, of course I want to loose weight and see the immediate results, but I'm giving myself a break until I start to feel the restriction. I'm giving myself permission to eat a higher quantity of healthy foods. Once the restriction kicks in, I'll cut back and then see the weight loss. I've waited long enough to get the band and loose weight, I don't mind waiting another couple of months for the restriction to kick in before I have a greater speed of weight loss. I hope this helps.

Thank you for all your responses and constructive criticism...Some were helpful and most were not....

I posted this because I just wanted to see if there are others out there feeling the same way I do......but NO, most of what I get are a bunch of people tearing into me about it being a "tool" and that I obviously didn't do the research..... of course I know it's a tool and of course I did my research, but all the research in the world does not prepare you for what to expect after surgery. I certainly did not expect to feel like this! I seriously feel much more hungry than I did prior to surgery. Nobody expects that! I knew it was not going to be easy and I still had to work at losing weight, and change my eating habits.....but it just is miserable feeling like this.

I know this is just the first phase and it's going to get better, but I'm impatiently waiting for when that better starts! Yes, I did expect to feel some sort of restriction after surgery because a lot of people said they at least felt some something however slight it was.....but, I myself have felt nothing and my appetite is actually worse than it has ever been (even worse than when I was pregnant). This is insane!

2 more weeks until my first fill and I'm hopeful that I will feel better and my attitude will change....but right now I'm in Pre-op Hell!!!

I know there are people out there that feel the same way, but they didn't post.. Yes, I really did get several private messages from people who felt the same way I did, but didn't want to post their views because they didn't want to get attacked by others.

I know there are people out there that feel the same way, but they didn't post.. Yes, I really did get several private messages from people who felt the same way I did, but didn't want to post their views because they didn't want to get attacked by others.

No one was attacking you for wanting to take appetite suppressants...I think they were more offended by your ignorance than anything else, which is why I find it hard to believe that multiple people messaged you saying they were in the same boat.

Once again, no one's against appetite suppressants.

If you just posted here to get people to smile at you and say 'go for it', it wouldn't be a very good advice forum, would it?

I didn't post this for people to say "go for it"...I posted this because I wanted to know if anybody felt the same way. I'm already taking my prescribed diet pills and actually feel better for doing it.

Also, I don't know what thread you are looking at but it shows 180 views on this thread... and yes, I did get 3 private messages. All of which were very encouraging. Geez! What would I gain in lying??? :)

@WrenBird....LOL that you already deleted your previous post below

Here is the message that has just been posted:

Also, only 8 people have viewed this thread...and 8 people replied...

..So it's quite impossible that someone (let alone several) viewed this thread, hasn't posted and messaged you instead.

:(

Edited by RoxyChick

I didn't post this for people to say "go for it"...I posted this because I wanted to know if anybody felt the same way. I'm already taking my prescribed diet pills and actually feel better for doing it.

Also, I don't know what thread you are looking at but it shows 180 views on this thread... and yes, I did get 3 private messages. All of which were very encouraging. Geez! What would I gain in lying??? :)

@WrenBird....LOL that you already deleted your previous post below

Here is the message that has just been posted:

Also, only 8 people have viewed this thread...and 8 people replied...

..So it's quite impossible that someone (let alone several) viewed this thread, hasn't posted and messaged you instead.

:(

I deleted it right after I posted it because I was looking at the wrong thread...Why would you re-post it if I deleted it?

I think I'll hold back on sharing my experiences with appetite suppressants now, it's obvious you don't want to hear my opinion.

Edited by WrenBird

Thank you for all your responses and constructive criticism...Some were helpful and most were not....

I posted this because I just wanted to see if there are others out there feeling the same way I do......but NO, most of what I get are a bunch of people tearing into me about it being a "tool" and that I obviously didn't do the research..... of course I know it's a tool and of course I did my research, but all the research in the world does not prepare you for what to expect after surgery. I certainly did not expect to feel like this! I seriously feel much more hungry than I did prior to surgery. Nobody expects that! I knew it was not going to be easy and I still had to work at losing weight, and change my eating habits.....but it just is miserable feeling like this.

I know this is just the first phase and it's going to get better, but I'm impatiently waiting for when that better starts! Yes, I did expect to feel some sort of restriction after surgery because a lot of people said they at least felt some something however slight it was.....but, I myself have felt nothing and my appetite is actually worse than it has ever been (even worse than when I was pregnant). This is insane!

2 more weeks until my first fill and I'm hopeful that I will feel better and my attitude will change....but right now I'm in Pre-op Hell!!!

Post op is hard because you are supposed to eat less calories with no fill. Usually the first fill doesn't even give that much restriction. Talk to the Doctor that is doing the fill and see if the appetite suppressants are safe with the band. That is my only concern, that you are safe and healthy, if he says it's fine then go for it. Do what works for you.

Remember, a lot of people are passionate about this topic and the lap band, how it works. So when you post something about taking diet pills with the band they are going to remind you it is a tool. It is an emotional challenge and journey. I am hungry too so I eat every two hours, just something, and drink lots of Water, it has worked for me, it doesn't work for everyone. I think some of the hunger is more ones mind insisiting that they need to eat.

I have put weight back on since surgery too but still below surgery weight thankfully. Hugs, and remember, breathe, this part of the process is going to be a distant memory soon. I am sorry your doctor didn't warn you about the hunger.

I read a quote once that said going on a diet and being hungry all the time is like holding your breath. Eventually the hunger wins.

What the band is supposed to do at the correct restriction is allow small amounts of food to keep you satisfied for several hours and not be hungry. That's the band's job. And it's your doctor's job to get it to work that way. Your job is to make good food choices, chew, not drink during meals, exercise and follow up with your doctor. But keep in mind that it doesn't work that way for everyone.

Being newly banded, the value I find in this forum is the "words of wisdom" from those who have been very successful on the journey we are all facing.

I know I felt very prepared for what to expect after surgery. My surgeon and her staff did a great job assuring that I was informed of everything that I might face.

Each of us is an individual and our approach, success and challenges with the lap band are personalized.

One thing that has been very clear to me is that the time from switching from all liquids, to the first few fills, is known as "band hell" because weight loss is slow and without the proper restriction, we don't have the benefit of feeling satisfied when we eat.