Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

the new you

I like this question. I am just shy of three months from my surgery but I definitely can say that I am starting to care what I look like again. For the longest time, I didn't bother wearing any makeup, only on special occasions, maybe a few times a year. Now I am happily spackling it on throughout the week. lol. And instead of my usual year round ponytails, I have started wearing my hair down. Still back from my face in a headband, but it is down and not up for once in what seems like years. And I have been pulling out older pieces of jewelry and trying on some of my older shirts that I had gotten too big for previously. It is a a wonderful thing to care about how I look again. :rolleyes2:

yeah, I used to wear make up every day and stopped, now I have started again. Not necessarily as much! I have been looking at new shades of lipstick, want to try new ones that stay one longer. Nice to have internet...you can go find out what people think of products before you buy!

I booked a class at my local gym to update my makeup and I have booked to have my ears re-pierced. I have always had regular manicures, pedicures, facials and updated my hair but I have hardly worn make up for ages.

After losing 90 pounds (12 past goal) with the lapband, I did a complete overhaul --dyed my hair platinum blonde, grew it past my shoulders, sold ALL my clothes on ebay and went for a whole new younger look with what I bought. No more jumpers and Berkinstocks -now it's leather pants and three inch heels.. And I had a face lift too. I don't look anything like I did before --people from "before" do not recognize me and some have had touble believing I'm who I say I am confusing me with my daughter.

I did things for myself along the way as I hit mini-goals. I had permenant eyeliner put on with one goal. Bought a few pair of new skinny jeans, got eyelash extensions (that lasted about a year...maintenance too fussy for me and I found out my eyelashes are not so bad).

I have always worn makeup and dressed nicely...it's just more fun now. I filled up my closets and am in need of nothing but get a thrill out of going to upscale and regular consignment shops.

I have two things i want to be able to do.

My own selfish goal & reward is that we have a planned vacation to travel across the country next summer by RV. I want to enjoy that being thinner because those pictures are going to be around forever! :)

The second one is, and I know this one is going to sound a bit odd considering we've all had weight loss surgery, but i can not wait to be able to make chocolate candy again! It's not so much the eating them because i worked at a farmers market candy stand for years and it's one of those things where you see it so often that the thought of putting in your mouth just turns your stomach. I literally make between 50 & 100 lbs between Easter & Christmas. The reason i can't do it now is be my back hurts if i stand too long at the counter; so much it is downright impossible to get it all done. I've always made our Easter chocolates for the boys' baskets & they've helped painting the molds & such. And on top of it, i make the best nut rolls & butter-creams, along with other items, at Christmas. Usually i give them as gifts or if we are going visiting i take a plate mixture for the goodie table. The last 2 years i've put it off. Each year, friends & family are looking for those plates....i want to do that again for them.

Other than that, i'm a bargain clothes shopper so the Goodwill & Salvation Army stores will be tired of looking at me! LOL Where else can you by $50 jeans for $3 bucks and $300 jackets for $20? Some with price tags still on!!! SIGN ME UP!

I haven't done anything too drastic. I wear my hair shorter because my face doesn't look too fat and as I'm gaining a new wardrobe every 6 months or so I'm getting clothes that are more stylish and I even have a couple of skirts that go to the knee instead of the ankle.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches