Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been looking at the lap band surgery for about 7-8 years now. In those years I have lost weight successfully and gained it back successfully. I have never reached my goal weight though, I give up once I lose 20 #'s. I think I am finally going to get this done. It will be a self pay so it was hard for me to decide to spend this much money on myself. I have an appointment with my surgeon on Dec 1st to talk about it. Now that I have decided to do it I am nervous. All of sudden I started wondering, will I ever be able to eat good food again, remember I'm from Louisiana and we have real good food :thumbup: I do remember that on one of my many diets that we went to a popular steakhouse and I really enjoyed my meal. I couldn't eat the big bloomin onion or the bread and when my meal came I really enjoyed every bite of it. I'm hoping that is what it will be like after the band. I know I will have to stay on here for encourgement.

You should be able to continue eating good food. It will just be in smaller portions. I see a lot of people are eating a cup full of food. My nutitrionist says eat your Protein (meat) and then vegetables.

I have been looking at the LAP-BAND® surgery for about 7-8 years now. In those years I have lost weight successfully and gained it back successfully. I have never reached my goal weight though, I give up once I lose 20 #'s. I think I am finally going to get this done. It will be a self pay so it was hard for me to decide to spend this much money on myself. I have an appointment with my surgeon on Dec 1st to talk about it. Now that I have decided to do it I am nervous. All of sudden I started wondering, will I ever be able to eat good food again, remember I'm from Louisiana and we have real good food :thumbup: I do remember that on one of my many diets that we went to a popular steakhouse and I really enjoyed my meal. I couldn't eat the big bloomin onion or the bread and when my meal came I really enjoyed every bite of it. I'm hoping that is what it will be like after the band. I know I will have to stay on here for encourgement.

Hey There! I am from the MS gulf coast area and I also love good food, the more spices, the better. I have only been banded a few months and do not have good restriction yet but I can eat almost anything. Everyone is different. Spices bothered me initially but doesnt anymore. I find that shrimp goes down easier than anything! You will find that everything is more enjoyable because you actually slow down and savor every bite you take.

Strained gumbo was one of my favorites during the liquid stage after surgery.

Good Luck!

thanks for the reply. This will be alot easier now that I know I can talk to someone who knows "Gumbo" :blush:

Boy do I know gumbo! :eek: Another thing thats really easy is red beans! Cant have too much rice though. One week after surgery we went to a Saints game and I was eating a tiny bit of red Beans at the Dome! Had to chew till it was liquid but my taste buds were HAPPY!

I looked at your profile and it says that your BMI is 32. Is that correct? Thats where I started and had to beg the Dr to do my Surgery. Are you having trouble finding a surgeon who will do it?

I have only lost 23 lbs since surgery but those 23 lbs have made a huge difference. I go for my second fill tomorrow and am hoping I will get good restriction because I can eat almost anything right now. bread is the only thing I'm scared of....3" of a pressed roast beef poboy was too much. (I thought all the gravy would help it slide down!) :rolleyes2:

I do not regret this at all!! I feel so much better already. I was self pay and am worth every penny it cost me!

Red Beans, yummy. Yes my BMI is 32, I am 5'6 and weigh 205. I have an appointment with my surgeon on Dec 1st, I already went to the seminar. I don't think he will have a problem because I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol. I guess you know at this weight we can hide some of it really good so many people don't think we need surgery but I want to feel good and be healthy. I carry much of my weight in my stomach so it makes me miserable. To get pants to fit in the waist the butt and legs are so big on me so I look even bigger:sad: I have not always been heavy so this is just not acceptable for me. 23# lost, you go girl, that sounds great and that should show alot when you dont have so much to loose. My hairdresser had the lapband done and she was smaller than me and she looks so great now. I am going to her today so I should get a good pep talk. Can't wait to see my surgeon and get the go ahead. I guess if I have it done I won't be the champion crawfish eater at our crawfish boils any more :rolleyes2: Hope we can stay in touch through this

You have my mouth watering thinking about crawfish! That and boiled crabs are my FAVORITE!

I just got back from my 2nd fill and I told the Dr that I can eat anything and he laughed and told me to be patien!! He's very conservative with fills and wont do it any sooner than 6 weeks apart. I'm back on liquids for a couple days so maybe I'll drop a pound or two.

Other than being depressed and completely miserable, I didn't have any health problems. Maybe thats why he was hesitant.

Its great that you know someone who has had the surgery. I have 2 close friends who also had it done. I was always the smallest of the group but I gained as they lost and I did not like being the fat girl! They have been great support. I know what you mean about it being unacceptable!!

We are shaped just the opposite. I'm small thru the middle but have a butt and legs that belong on someone much heavier. Baby got back!! :) I always have to get stuff taken up at the waist if its going to accommodate this behind!

Keep me posted on your journey!!

when you had gumbo during your liquid phase did it still include all the meats? i thought i couldn't have gumbo since its so thick and made with roux. love your name:)