Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holiday foods and eating

Ok well I missed the support meeting the other night since hubs got off work late and we didn't get to go. I was going to ask them but I will ask you all instead. Ok with the holidays coming up and I know this is going to be a difficult time for some of us how do you go about eating at other ppls houses? Yes I know only eat what is safe for you and all that but you all know some of these foods we don't have all the time. How do you know if it's going to be a 'safe' food for you? I got into a conversation with my mom today about thanksgiving dinner. She is making such a big deal out of it and I suggested it just be something very simple. She went into the entire spill of the dressing/stuffing to do with the turkey breast. I told her hubs doesn't really like it, the kids won't touch it so I'm the only one that usually eats it. She says your sister used to love it (we lost my sister in July) but I'm not going to eat her portion since she's not here lol. But this yr I am staying away from it. I don't eat bread or cornbread for that matter. I was told both are no no's. She told me oh a few spoonfulls won't hurt you. Huh?!?!?!?! NO thank you!! I don't want dessert either. She is always telling me how well I'm doing and how proud she is of me, then why would she think thats ok? How does everyone else deal with eating during the holidays and ppl trying to force food on you? It's my ultimate decision on what goes on my plate and what goes in my mouth.

That is a tough one. I am being banded 6 days before Thanksgiving so will be on full liqiuds. I told the fam that we are having a simple dinner at home, no friends, no outside relatives, etc. I don't think I could deal with all the 'splaining if we ate with other people. Good luck with your Mom. I guess Mom's just need to feed ya and feed ya and feed ya. Hmmmm Maybe that's why we end up with bands. lol

I think you just answered your own question with your last statement. "It's my ultimate decision what goes on my plate and what goes in my mouth". If you do not want to sample the foods that you feel are not something you want to indulge in, then do not put them on your plate.

The food traditions that our families make year after year will always be there. The way I feel about food during the holidays is that a person can indulge in a small portion of some of their favorite foods. Just like every day life. We all need a treat sometimes and cannot deprive ourselves of our favorites forever. It's all about Portion Control and not about never having our favorites again just because we are banded.

But, you make the choice. If you feel you are not ready to be tempted by all the choices during the holidays, then stick to your plan and make the food choices you want.

Those first holidays after banding and during the weightloss stage are a bit scary. Look how well you have done so far with your weightloss. Just rely on your own good instincts when the time comes. Good luck!

I've gotten to the point in my journey that I choose to no longer stress about food. I will eat what is presented to me just eat slowly and chew well. Yes the holidays are coming but I will not be phased by them that's what I will tell myself this year as it will be my first holiday season with my band. But as with all else I will overcome temptation and will do well. That will be my mantra this year.

I'm 9 months post op (lost 75 pounds) - I didn't have this surgery to torture myself and to never enjoy food again! I plan on eating Thanksgiving, the same way I eat every day - with Portion Control. I eat very little, so pigging out isn't really physically an option. So, I'll have a couple bites of everything I enjoy. It's all about moderation.

I'm not worried about holiday eating because my band is so tight(by dr and by choice) that I will eat a bite of this or that(probably less than 5) and be stuffed to the gills. So I can have a bite of stuffing, turkey and something green (which is what we make) and be full. Maybe later a bite or 2 of pumpkin pie(and still lose weight)

I didn't get the band to remove everything from my diet but to eat in moderation. Some things I may not tolerate well with the band(and I have learned to adjust) but its all trial and error(and a workout) I have lost 75 so far in 10 months.

And its very small bites or I would get stuck even if it was traditionally a slider food. Shoo even a big gulp of Water can feel rough sometimes if I am not careful. My doctor compares it to a tight funnel.

I got through Thanksgiving and Christmas last year without too much damage. I even managed to lose a little over the 2 months (8lbs) which is fantastic compared to what I would've done before banding.

I wasn't with family (other than dh & ds) at TG, but I was at sisters for Xmas. She thought Shrimp Alfredo would be appropriate to serve a bandster.. LOL. I just ate the salad, took tiny bits of the crusty part of the bread, tiny tiny bits of Pasta and ate all the shrimp I wanted.

I'd advise putting really small portions, like around a teaspoonful, of food on your plate and just move it around if you don't want to eat it. If you're pressured or bullied into eating it, you don't have enough on your plate to do that much damage.

My husband and I went to a reception last month, and there were all kinds of dips & stuff. I took tiny portions of the dips and crackers, as much fruit as I wanted, and a few meatballs. They also had tortillas rolled up with good stuff inside.. I unrolled them and ate the meat out and gave the rest to my dh.

Probably if you just push the stuff around on your plate, people will think you ate it. If they ask why you're not finishing it, you can say any number of things: "I'm just not hungry", "I'm saving room for ____", "I took more than I can eat, sorry", "I'm not feeling well and don't want to push it", or my favorite "Why do you ask?" Put the ball back into their court.

Mom's just sometimes don't "get it" that they're putting pressure on folks.. they don't mean to. I've evidentally put similar pressure on my DD and did not mean to at all. My DD is slender and told me once she hated TG because she felt like she was forced to eat. We had to have a discussion about whether offering people food was pressure....

Good Luck to you. Hope some of this will help.

thanks for all the advice. i just really wish holidays and food was simple. when i am here at home with hubs and the kiddos i don't go out of my way to make anything extra. we all usually eat the same things and my oldest some has severe food allergies. just makes more sense to me to do it that way so no one feels left out. now every so often i will make something special for someone if they don't like what the rest of us are eating. i'm not going to force them to eat it lol. i just had a fill last mon so i eat less then what i did before then. i'm bound and determined to loose weight during the holidays :smile2:.

oh also forgot to say i found a recipe i posted in the other forum for dressing. thinking about trying it a few day before and if i like it then i will take some to share with everyone. :smile2:

I got through Thanksgiving and Christmas last year without too much damage. I even managed to lose a little over the 2 months (8lbs) which is fantastic compared to what I would've done before banding.

I wasn't with family (other than dh & ds) at TG, but I was at sisters for Xmas. She thought Shrimp Alfredo would be appropriate to serve a bandster.. LOL. I just ate the salad, took tiny bits of the crusty part of the bread, tiny tiny bits of Pasta and ate all the shrimp I wanted.

I'd advise putting really small portions, like around a teaspoonful, of food on your plate and just move it around if you don't want to eat it. If you're pressured or bullied into eating it, you don't have enough on your plate to do that much damage.

My husband and I went to a reception last month, and there were all kinds of dips & stuff. I took tiny portions of the dips and crackers, as much fruit as I wanted, and a few meatballs. They also had tortillas rolled up with good stuff inside.. I unrolled them and ate the meat out and gave the rest to my dh.

Probably if you just push the stuff around on your plate, people will think you ate it. If they ask why you're not finishing it, you can say any number of things: "I'm just not hungry", "I'm saving room for ____", "I took more than I can eat, sorry", "I'm not feeling well and don't want to push it", or my favorite "Why do you ask?" Put the ball back into their court.

Mom's just sometimes don't "get it" that they're putting pressure on folks.. they don't mean to. I've evidentally put similar pressure on my DD and did not mean to at all. My DD is slender and told me once she hated TG because she felt like she was forced to eat. We had to have a discussion about whether offering people food was pressure....

Good Luck to you. Hope some of this will help.

um.. no idea why that posted twice.. sorry.

Look, the thing about having a lapband is that is real life and your reality from hereon in. Therefore, panicking about every situation outside your direct control is going to get a little tiring.

I cope with holidays by attending the functions, enjoying the company and eating a little of what I fancy eating at them. You cant control what other people serve and you cant really expect them to change things for you either, you just have to do your best. It really is not going to affect your weight loss if you eat bread on a given day.

Perhaps get an extra exercise session in on Thanksgiving morning? I always go out for a long run on the day of a big meal.

Perhaps get an extra exercise session in on Thanksgiving morning? I always go out for a long run on the day of a big meal.

Excellent idea, wish I had remembered to post about that.

I'm thinking of doing a Turkey Trot TG day.. and a Gobble Wobble the Sat. afterwards.

Something I find very interesting about eating during the holidays is that no one asks my sister (5'6" down to 119 lbs today from 124 lbs 6 months ago -- she's always been thin) why she's hardly eating or why she's not eating at all. But me ... me they ask "Don't you want more? Are you sure you have enough?" I guess people don't want you to change. Too bad for them cuz I'm no longer satisfied with being the "fatty" of the family!

Since my mom went into a convalescent home 5 years ago I have been the designated chef for TG and Xmas. I never enjoyed cooking but took on the job for the sake of the kids. I found that cooking all that food made me not enjoy eating it as much, which is good. Now that I have the band it's even better.

Today I learned that I can also forgo sweets!!! It's a miracle! Tomorrow is my daughter's b-day so I made two dozen oversized cupcakes. 12 red velvet with homemade cream cheese icing and 12 double chocolate with cream cheese chocolate chip filling with homemade buttercream chocolate chip icing. She will be sharing them with her friends when they come by tomorrow evening. I haven't eaten even ONE. By the time I was done the very smell of something sweet gave me a headache!! Uuuggggghhhhh! Did I lick my fingers while baking? At first, yes. But I kept thinking about the empty calories and stopped. So I just washed off the cake beaters -- the days of licking them clean are long gone. Do I think I will have a cupcake tomorrow? yes, probably. But, unlike my behavior in the past, I will probably eat half of the cupcake (after I eat my dinner, of course) and save the rest for the next day. For me this is a victory because in the past I would have eaten at least THREE cupcakes by now.

For me, the best thing is not the weight loss ... it's that I am changing the way I think/feel about food. It's been a long road to get here, and I think I still have a ways to go, but I am really happy with how far I have come. I don't think I would be where I am without the band.

Because of the band, I am not the least bit concerned that I will overeat for the holidays. It's a great feeling!

~Fran

You could always volunteer to make something, and then just make something that you feel like you'd want to eat. I generally always help my mom out during the holidays with the cooking, so I just make something that I'd like to eat. The holidays aren't a huge deal for me because I don't eat poultry or red meat (so on thanksgiving I just make a piece of fish for myself and its like any other meal) but if you're worried about the holidays, making something could be an option.

And as others said, the one day won't make you regain all the weight you lost. Don't overthink it.