Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded in April and all I lost was 5 lbs. My band currently has 6cc (out of 10). At this point I believe the surgery was a waste and would like to have it removed. Since the surgery I have never felt any restriction, I have been able to tolerate everything. Basically if it wasn't for the incision marks on my stomach, you wouldn't even know I had surgery. So I want it out! Any advice on how to proceed.

I was banded in April too. It took me forever to get restriction, but now that I have it, it makes all the difference in the world! I have only lost 29lbs so far, but have lost 9 lbs in the last 2 weeks. Don't give up! Go back to your doctor and get another fill.. sometimes the smallest fill makes a huge difference! I love my band!!

Oh lordy, please don't give up yet! Restriction makes all the difference in the world!

I was banded this April too, and I didn't feel any restriction until I had 7.5 CCs in a 10 CC band.

UNTIL YOU HAVE RESTRICTION, YOU DON'T HAVE A BAND!!

I was banded in April also. I've already lost 76 pounds. The band isn't magic. I've had to work my butt off to lose those 76 pounds. I've had to change my eating and activity habits. I exercise 3-4 times a week, and around 1-2 hours each time. I also got a personal trainer. I've also gotten the Bodybugg to help me along the way. The band isn't the thing that is losing my weight for me. The band is there to control my eating. I am the one doing the work.

So maybe you need to evaluate your eating and activity habits, and possible have an attitude change? Because it does work. It's just up to the user to do the work.

Well, you're in an unenviable position, but it's one that almost every bandster before you has experienced.

It's a shame that more surgical groups don't really prepare their patients for a significant period of time during which they will not experience restriction.

It's normal, and expected--and yet so, so many of us feel tremendously let down.

It sounds as though your doctor is very conservative with fills. By the time I was 10 weeks out, I had 8.5 cc in my band; even then, I was only beginning to feel as though the band was making a difference.

I'm 9 months out and have pretty good restriction now, though we're still fine-tuning. It's a process--a long process that can be very frustrating if you don't work to cultivate the right mindset.

Look, you were obese for a long time, right? Long enough to figure out that dieting alone wasn't going to do it for you.

So you have the time to work toward restriction, right? You have the ability, in the meantime, to make food and exercise choices that support weight loss.

You can lose weight while you work toward restriction; it's all in your choices. And really, you can choose to accept this as a normal part of the process, or you can choose to be miserable.

I opted just to accept it and to eat as though I had restriction, even when I didn't. It paid off for me. It involved weighing and measuring and--yes! being hungry sometimes. Just as if I were on a diet. But I knew I was working toward restriction, and knew it would be the last time I'd be hungry in the name of weight loss. It was excellent practice of a new lifestyle, and prepared me well for eating with restriction.

I know it's very, very easy to get into a funk---it is a frustrating process. But you've got the band. Now it's time to work it.

Talk with your doctor; ask if your fills can be more frequent or involve infusion of a greater volume of saline. 6 ccs in 6 months is pretty darn conservative. You'll find that, after a certain point, tiny increments do make a big difference---but you're not there yet.

Don't give up! Really, getting to that sweet spot (or even close, really) makes a HUGE difference. You're well on your way---it may not seem like it because your progress has been slow, but it's right around the corner for you.

I was banded in April and all I lost was 5 lbs. My band currently has 6cc (out of 10). At this point I believe the surgery was a waste and would like to have it removed. Since the surgery I have never felt any restriction, I have been able to tolerate everything. Basically if it wasn't for the incision marks on my stomach, you wouldn't even know I had surgery. So I want it out! Any advice on how to proceed.

I'm with you Ayana! I would want my band removed too if I had changed my eating and activity habits, exercised 3-4 times a week, and around 1-2 hours each time, hired a personal trainer AND bought the Bodybugg to help me along the way -- and only lost 5 lbs!! Oh... wait ... that was Manda87 ... and she lost 76 lbs. I'm sorry Ayana, I couldn't resist. I am sure you have been doing your part to be successful with your band, right? But, as others have said, you need restriction. Can you lose without restriction? DEFINITELY. But you have to really put in the work. That said, having had the band put in, I would want to utilize it to assist me with my weight loss. ASSIST is a key word here. I guess your doc did not tell you that the band is a "tool", it doesn't do the work for you.

Having restriction is important to a lot of us, while others manage to lose weight without restriction. (I'm not one of those). So, GET ANOTHER FILL. Get fills until you have the proper restriction. But, even with the proper restriction, if you don't change the way you eat, you're not likely to lose. Exercise is important too. Read posts on this forum. You can learn a lot. Doesn't sound like your doc gave you much useful information about the band. READ, READ, READ -- then put what you've learned into practice.

Don't despair, you have the band and it will mirror the work you do. I didn't get to my "sweet spot" for several months so know that you are not alone.

Hang in there!

While I think Phran put it a little harshly, I think the point is that the band won't lose your weight for you. You need to work with the band and make huge lifestyle changes. I was banded in April as well and I have lost 35 pounds since. It's been hard at times, but those are the times I am most happy that I have the band.

Please don't give up- I think it would be a real waste if you had your band removed without finding proper restriction... maybe you'll get it at 6.25 or 6.5!

Good luck!

I'm with you Ayana! I would want my band removed too if I had changed my eating and activity habits, exercised 3-4 times a week, and around 1-2 hours each time, hired a personal trainer AND bought the Bodybugg to help me along the way -- and only lost 5 lbs!! Oh... wait ... that was Manda87 ... and she lost 76 lbs. I'm sorry Ayana, I couldn't resist.

I'm not sure if that was a stab at me or her.

Oooh well. I still have last 76 pounds. :thumbup:

I'm with you Ayana! I would want my band removed too if I had changed my eating and activity habits, exercised 3-4 times a week, and around 1-2 hours each time, hired a personal trainer AND bought the Bodybugg to help me along the way -- and only lost 5 lbs!! Oh... wait ... that was Manda87 ... and she lost 76 lbs. I'm sorry Ayana, I couldn't resist. I am sure you have been doing your part to be successful with your band, right? But, as others have said, you need restriction. Can you lose without restriction? DEFINITELY. But you have to really put in the work. That said, having had the band put in, I would want to utilize it to assist me with my weight loss. ASSIST is a key word here. I guess your doc did not tell you that the band is a "tool", it doesn't do the work for you.

Having restriction is important to a lot of us, while others manage to lose weight without restriction. (I'm not one of those). So, GET ANOTHER FILL. Get fills until you have the proper restriction. But, even with the proper restriction, if you don't change the way you eat, you're not likely to lose. Exercise is important too. Read posts on this forum. You can learn a lot. Doesn't sound like your doc gave you much useful information about the band. READ, READ, READ -- then put what you've learned into practice.

Don't despair, you have the band and it will mirror the work you do. I didn't get to my "sweet spot" for several months so know that you are not alone.

Hang in there!

Well put phranp

something sounds fishy here! Eating too much ice cream and candy maybe? Bet your not eating 1200 cal. a day and exercising 30 min a day 5 days a week! If so, you would be seeing results.

I'm not sure if that was a stab at me or her.

Oooh well. I still have last 76 pounds. :thumbup:

Manda87, you've lost SEVENTY-SIX POUNDS!!!! How on EARTH could that be a "stab" at you?????!!! Maybe it's me, idk ... you did a lot of work AND YOU LOST THE WEIGHT. I think you are doing a FANTASTIC job of working WITH your band.

@Jaymie, As for being harsh ... I don't think so. Sarcastic, yeah, maybe ... but harsh ... not so much. But, hey, I can take it. I do feel for Ayana not having received good info from her doc. There are a number of people that have come to this forum who don't seem to know how the band actually works. My doc was not the best at giving info either. As a result I had to do my own research, mainly because I wanted this to work. Simple as that. Learning that everything is not going to be handed to you and explained (EVEN WHEN IT SHOULD BE) is a good lesson in self-reliance. Hey, harsh or no ... it is what it is.

@Kellydoran, I knew I would catch some flack for not being PC and being sarcastic so, I thank you for your support. LOL

I wish EVERYONE well on their journey!

Manda87, you've lost SEVENTY-SIX POUNDS!!!! How on EARTH could that be a "stab" at you?????!!! Maybe it's me, idk ... you did a lot of work AND YOU LOST THE WEIGHT. I think you are doing a FANTASTIC job of working WITH your band.

Ooooh. Ok. lol My band and I make a good team. People do need to do their research. I research everything, even the antibiotic I was on when I had a URI and the color of my snot that I couldn't stop blowing out of my nose! (A little TMI?! lol) I just feel if someone wanted a quick fix, they should have went with the bypass... that's just me though. :thumbup:

Ladies, you are too funny! Ayana, keep working at it. I was banded in August of this year and have my surgeon told me no fills as of yet. The reason is like Betsy wrote, I am working the band and my body as if I do have restriction. I watch my portions, measure, weigh and even though I am certain that I could tolerate certain foods in larger amounts, I don't even go there! I exercise 7 days a week no less than 30 minutes at a min. and an hour max. so far been averaging approx. 2lbs per week. Go back take a look of what you are eating and how you are doing it, look at your exercise routine and if your surgeon's office gave you information and suggestions, go for it.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Well put phranp

something sounds fishy here! Eating too much ice cream and candy maybe? Bet your not eating 1200 cal. a day and exercising 30 min a day 5 days a week! If so, you would be seeing results.

Interesting...because for the last month I have been eating 1200 calories a day and walking 3 miles at a brisk pace (unable to talk while walking) every day. As of this morning, I am once again 3 pounds *heavier* than when I started a month ago.

Don't be so quick to accuse someone of 'cheating'.

I don't get it. Why would you give up before you've even gotten to the point where the band is doing anything?