Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things that motivate you!

When I walk:

My street is a circle that's about 1km and contains 2 very large and exhausting hills. When I get to the top of them, two families in particular say to me, "you're doing great! you're looking great!" or something along those lines. It always makes me smile when they encourage me.

When I eat:

When I'm buying food at the market (used to be a carboholic...Hellloooo croisants), I imagine what it's going to feel like sitting on my stomach. It's more recently that fatty foods make me feel unwell and carbs get stuck, so I just imagine how that's going to feel.

and mustard. The wholegrain kind. I could put it on anything and it'd taste delicious. :thumbup:

What about you guys?

I am only 3 weeks post op, and my motivation factors will probably change. But, for now "fear of failure" is what keeps me motivated.

I used to work out in a personal training group that also required everyone to read their food journal in front of the group daily. I wasnt honest about what I ate.....or atleast how much alcohol I was consuming. This time I dont have to lie to anyone, but myself. And I refuse to have a need to lie to myself anymore.

I bought a gym membership 6 months ago and actually went today. I swam for about 20 minutes and plan to go daily until I return to work in a week.

Well, at the very current moment, I'm motivated when I think about wedding dress shopping. I cant WAIT to go to the salons and be able to FIT INTO THE GOWNS! I used to get so depressed thinking about dress shopping, but now I'm getting so excited!

Also, as far as eating well, I love playing with recipes and being creative with food. So I guess I'm motivated by that - trying out new and exciting and healthy AND tasty recipes!

I have made a hand made charm Bracelet and I will add charms to it for every 10lbs lost so far i have 1 and have 5lbs to go to get my next charm...

When I feel like eating badly i just look at my wrist and see the spot I'm gonna put my next charm and that motivates me to stay on target, keep pressing on and not eat junk.

I am only 3 weeks post op, and my motivation factors will probably change. But, for now "fear of failure" is what keeps me motivated.

I used to work out in a personal training group that also required everyone to read their food journal in front of the group daily. I wasnt honest about what I ate.....or atleast how much alcohol I was consuming. This time I dont have to lie to anyone, but myself. And I refuse to have a need to lie to myself anymore.

I bought a gym membership 6 months ago and actually went today. I swam for about 20 minutes and plan to go daily until I return to work in a week.

The motivation of failure is a big one for me too...When you've spent so much on weightloss surgery, the feeling of it not helping is horrible and dissapointing.

I can't believe they made you read out what you ate infront of everyone...That's horrible!

I'm glad you're swimming now - swimming is fantastic!

Good luck to you :laugh:

Well, at the very current moment, I'm motivated when I think about wedding dress shopping. I cant WAIT to go to the salons and be able to FIT INTO THE GOWNS! I used to get so depressed thinking about dress shopping, but now I'm getting so excited!

Also, as far as eating well, I love playing with recipes and being creative with food. So I guess I'm motivated by that - trying out new and exciting and healthy AND tasty recipes!

Fantastic! Are you getting married soon?

I'm engaged and wedding dress shopping hardly crossed my mind... :laugh:

I have made a hand made charm Bracelet and I will add charms to it for every 10lbs lost so far i have 1 and have 5lbs to go to get my next charm...

When I feel like eating badly i just look at my wrist and see the spot I'm gonna put my next charm and that motivates me to stay on target, keep pressing on and not eat junk.

That is so beautiful! I really didn't expect an answer like that. That is such a good idea too!

All the best to you :laugh:

I'm so shallow in that clothes have always been one of the biggest motivations. I love beautiful clothes and shoes and I couldn't wait to shop anywhere I wanted, and look good in anything I wanted.

Everytime I went down a size, I went shopping for new clothes! Lol!

My wardrobe and shoe collection is now my pride and joy. I'm actually getting breast augmentation surgery tomorrow and today was mourning all the beautiful things in my wardrobe I would no longer be able to wear. Then I realised I therefore needed to do more shopping and perked right up! Lol!!

Nothing beat that feeling of realising I could shop in any shop I wanted in the shopping centre, not just the one 'big girl's' shop!

I'm so shallow in that clothes have always been one of the biggest motivations. I love beautiful clothes and shoes and I couldn't wait to shop anywhere I wanted, and look good in anything I wanted.

Everytime I went down a size, I went shopping for new clothes! Lol!

My wardrobe and shoe collection is now my pride and joy. I'm actually getting breast augmentation surgery tomorrow and today was mourning all the beautiful things in my wardrobe I would no longer be able to wear. Then I realised I therefore needed to do more shopping and perked right up! Lol!!

Nothing beat that feeling of realising I could shop in any shop I wanted in the shopping centre, not just the one 'big girl's' shop!

You look like a model right now! and I mean that too...You look like you could be one of those sexy bikini girls in a men's magazine.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I can't wait to go shopping for clothes lol. I'm holding off till I lose a bit more weight.

:laugh:

You look like a model right now! and I mean that too...You look like you could be one of those sexy bikini girls in a men's magazine.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I can't wait to go shopping for clothes lol. I'm holding off till I lose a bit more weight.

:laugh:

Lol WrenBird, stop that now, you're giving me a big head! Believe me when I say I'm just a regular 40yo mum (who has heaps of tattoos, but that's another story!)

I'd love to be there when you go for that first shopping expedition in shops where you would never have walked into before! You will love it!

Lol WrenBird, stop that now, you're giving me a big head! Believe me when I say I'm just a regular 40yo mum (who has heaps of tattoos, but that's another story!)

I'd love to be there when you go for that first shopping expedition in shops where you would never have walked into before! You will love it!

I like your tattooes. You look about 25 years old. When I saw your before pictures I gasped! You've lost so much weight and you look so different! You need to go onto Today Tonight or something!

You're an Aussie right? I wanna go into stores like Supre and Jayjay's and the normal section at David Jones! Hehe. I haven't been able to shop there since I was in my early teens, and even then I was pushing a size 16.

I used to cry in the changerooms when I had to try something on...I don't wanna feel discouraged again so I think I'll wait until the weight has really come off - that way I won't feel depressed.

25!! Thank you! You've made my day! I have a 20yo daughter, she will tel you I'm definitely 40. :laugh:

I used to hate shopping for clothes too. I also used to cry in the changerooms when nothing would fit. I have been a size 16 or bigger since I was in my late teens, and shopping in places like Supre, Jayjays and DJs were pipe dreams for me. I have always loved nice clothes, and always wanted to dress well, but clothes for bigger girls back in the day were just tents. There are nicer things for plus sizes these days but yes, being able to shop in 'regular' shops mean you've got such a great selection.

You WILL soon be able to go shopping in places like that, and feel good about the stuff you're trying on. I wasn't even at goal when that started to happen for me. Just losing some weight and being able to get into sizes you couldn't get into before gave me such a buzz.

In fact, when I was about a size 12, I went to a shop and wanted to buy a blouse but it was soiled and there wasn't another. So I just grabbed a different style off the rack and went up to pay. The salegirl asked me if I wanted to try it on, and I said no, I knew it would fit. She then laughed and said how lucky I was to be 'naturally thin'. I cracked up and told her that there was nothing natural about it!

Clothes really were such a motivation for me. Also being able to run around with my 4yo, go surfing with my daughter and even ride a bicycle and keep up with my sons - those things I think keep me motivated to never put on the weight again.

25!! Thank you! You've made my day! I have a 20yo daughter, she will tel you I'm definitely 40. :)

I used to hate shopping for clothes too. I also used to cry in the changerooms when nothing would fit. I have been a size 16 or bigger since I was in my late teens, and shopping in places like Supre, Jayjays and DJs were pipe dreams for me. I have always loved nice clothes, and always wanted to dress well, but clothes for bigger girls back in the day were just tents. There are nicer things for plus sizes these days but yes, being able to shop in 'regular' shops mean you've got such a great selection.

You WILL soon be able to go shopping in places like that, and feel good about the stuff you're trying on. I wasn't even at goal when that started to happen for me. Just losing some weight and being able to get into sizes you couldn't get into before gave me such a buzz.

In fact, when I was about a size 12, I went to a shop and wanted to buy a blouse but it was soiled and there wasn't another. So I just grabbed a different style off the rack and went up to pay. The salegirl asked me if I wanted to try it on, and I said no, I knew it would fit. She then laughed and said how lucky I was to be 'naturally thin'. I cracked up and told her that there was nothing natural about it!

Clothes really were such a motivation for me. Also being able to run around with my 4yo, go surfing with my daughter and even ride a bicycle and keep up with my sons - those things I think keep me motivated to never put on the weight again.

As a designer, I used to think of my body as a canvas that I got to dress up everyday...Since I was a kid I wanted to be a fashion designer and I always always alwaysss wore clothes that were eye catching, so when I was in my teens and couldn't fit into anything, it was devestating because I loved the clothes so much, but I couldn't wear them or even buy them. I was forced to shop in places like Millers and it sucked because it was the same stuff my nan wears. :biggrin:

Sigh.

When I see people like you who have lost so much weight and are happy with themselves it makes me feel so motivated. Before I go for a walk, I think about people like you. Today a guy named Jamie posted his before and after pictures and I just felt so happy for him. I went and had a walk lol. :laugh:

I've only lost 12.8 kilos at the moment, but I just know that some day I'm going to be able to walk into a clothing store, fall inlove with clothes again and buy them and look good in them! lol

At the end of November, I have a charity ball to go to. I will be shopping for a cocktail dress then, getting eyelash extensions and hair extensions and going all out - I can't wait. :w00t:

As a designer, I used to think of my body as a canvas that I got to dress up everyday...Since I was a kid I wanted to be a fashion designer and I always always alwaysss wore clothes that were eye catching, so when I was in my teens and couldn't fit into anything, it was devestating because I loved the clothes so much, but I couldn't wear them or even buy them. I was forced to shop in places like Millers and it sucked because it was the same stuff my nan wears. :w00t:

Sigh.

When I see people like you who have lost so much weight and are happy with themselves it makes me feel so motivated. Before I go for a walk, I think about people like you. Today a guy named Jamie posted his before and after pictures and I just felt so happy for him. I went and had a walk lol. :biggrin:

I've only lost 12.8 kilos at the moment, but I just know that some day I'm going to be able to walk into a clothing store, fall inlove with clothes again and buy them and look good in them! lol

At the end of November, I have a charity ball to go to. I will be shopping for a cocktail dress then, getting eyelash extensions and hair extensions and going all out - I can't wait. :)

Lol I too think of my body as a canvas. Dressing up for me is something I really look forward to. It's a way to express myself. At work, where most people slob around in ill fitting clothes and ugg boots (WTF!) I wear designer clothes and 5 inch heels everyday. I get my nails done, I put on make-up, I dress to impress - not them, but me! I did that even when I was bigger, but the clothes I can wear now mean I can look the way I've always wanted to look.

I remember when I had lost 10kgs. It felt like goal was so far away. But looking back, it happened relatively quickly. Keep in the mindset of looking forward, and not giving in to the despair of sometimes feeling like you've 'only' lost this or that much.

I have a friend who got banded in July. She's lost 12 kgs so far, and often texts me if she's frustrated about a plateau or if she starts to feel like she's never going to get there. I always say to her - I lost about 3kgs a month. It felt like forever at the time. It took me ages, this didn't happen overnight. But one day, there it was, that number on the scale. My goal weight. Then I stopped trying to lose, and still lost another 13kgs over the next year!

So hang in there, just pluggng away, and soon you'll be the one others are looking at to motivate them. :laugh:

Enjoy your ball! And post some pics!

ETA: wanted to also menton that whenever anyone tells me that my weight loss motivates them, or that I inspire them, I still get baffled. In my head, I'm just a chick who got the band, and the band worked for me, in conjunction with me doing what my Dr told me to do. I didn't do anything special - most banders can do exactly the same thing!

Edited by lellow

Lol I too think of my body as a canvas. Dressing up for me is something I really look forward to. It's a way to express myself. At work, where most people slob around in ill fitting clothes and ugg boots (WTF!) I wear designer clothes and 5 inch heels everyday. I get my nails done, I put on make-up, I dress to impress - not them, but me! I did that even when I was bigger, but the clothes I can wear now mean I can look the way I've always wanted to look.

I remember when I had lost 10kgs. It felt like goal was so far away. But looking back, it happened relatively quickly. Keep in the mindset of looking forward, and not giving in to the despair of sometimes feeling like you've 'only' lost this or that much.

I have a friend who got banded in July. She's lost 12 kgs so far, and often texts me if she's frustrated about a plateau or if she starts to feel like she's never going to get there. I always say to her - I lost about 3kgs a month. It felt like forever at the time. It took me ages, this didn't happen overnight. But one day, there it was, that number on the scale. My goal weight. Then I stopped trying to lose, and still lost another 13kgs over the next year!

So hang in there, just pluggng away, and soon you'll be the one others are looking at to motivate them. :laugh:

Enjoy your ball! And post some pics!

ETA: wanted to also menton that whenever anyone tells me that my weight loss motivates them, or that I inspire them, I still get baffled. In my head, I'm just a chick who got the band, and the band worked for me, in conjunction with me doing what my Dr told me to do. I didn't do anything special - most banders can do exactly the same thing!

:w00t: I'm just so happy I met you. I seem to be one of those people that have to work hard to lose weight, so I almost always need motivation when I go out and walk or whatever. If I don't exercise, I don't lose so it's crucial for me to get out there and burn calories. I am really surprised at myself that I've lasted a little over a month. If I don't go out everyday and exercise I feel guilty.

I remember a week after I had the band I ate custard or something and my mum caught me and yelled at me...She told me that I should have never of had the band because all I was going to do was cheat. It made me sick and guilty and now she's annoyed that I won't eat her full-fat meals she cooks :). She's proud of me now though...Whenever she goes somewhere and sees a friend of hers she tells them how much weight I've lost already. That's motivation for me.

If I ever look as half as good as you, I'll be happy. :biggrin: I still can't believe you're 40.

I'll for sure take photos! I'm thinking of putting new ones up soon. My face has changed a lot and my shoulders, so I'll put a before and after and every month I'll put a new one up.

Ahhh. I can't wait for the day when I can wear designer clothes and high heels :hurray:. At the moment my ankles just can't handle it because I'm so heavy, but I've got plenty of them.

I've felt in the past few years that dressing up is useless because I'm just going to look bad anyways :-(

Even just losing the little amount I've lost, I'm so much more confident.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you <3 xx