Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I was banded on wednesday the 13th. This is my 6th surgery so its not like I can't handle the pain of incisions. I awoke with EXTREME pain behind my breastbone. I initially chalked it up to gas pain. Until the dr came in. He said that I have a major blood vessel that runs the top of my stomach where normally it is on the bottom of peoples stomachs. So that made him place the band a little higher and caused irritation to my esophagus. He said the swelling would go down soon and I could get a little Fluid down. 12 hours after surgery I was sent home. Thursday the 14th I couldn't get anything down without bawling. So he had me come back down for a barium swallow. It revealed that I was having non stop esophegeal spasms. Dr admitted me gave me iv fluids and morphene. Pain went down from an 8 to a 3 so he sent me home at noon on friday the 15th. Since then its been about 32 hours and I am in so much pain again. I have thrown up over 7 times including blood. I can barely take a teaspoon of Water and keep that down. I've called the dr twice and th er doctor just keeps saying well your esophagus is irritated keep sipping on stuff. I'm SERIOUSLY scared. I'm weak. Dehydrated. And in a LOT of pain that no one will listen to me about. Any ideas to help me get thru until monday when I can c the bariatric surgeon.

Please someone help me.

I hope you will be ok... have ice chips

Ok so I ended up throwing up and passing out at the local ER before they could discharge me and send me to the hospital 45 minutes away that covers bariatrics. Well then they realized I wasn't gonna make it that far so they gave me fluids 2 narcotics for pain. Nausea meds. Reflux meds and got me relaxed enough and hydrated enough to send me home for tHe night. Sunday I limited myself to 1/2 oz of gatorade at a time. Its all I could keep down. I left a couple of messages on my surgeons answering machine telling him that when they get in at 8am they NEED to call me. So this morning,monday they called at about 8:15 and I was admitted to the hospital by 9:30. Again severly dehydrated. Gave me meds for pain. But FINALLY listened to me. I told him I can't live like this. It sucks. Then he figured that MAYBE the starting Fluid that comes in the band so that it is supposed to help mold to yyour body shape when healing probably needed to come out. Ran a bunch of other tests and BAM. There's the answer 4cc's had to come out I have esophagus spasms AND my xyphoid process/sternum is SEVERLY bruised beneath the surface from the retractor they used to hold my liver out of the way. Well taking out the 4cc's was enough to relieve the pressure that was causing some of the pain. Pretty much cleared up the spastic esophagus cuz now the liquid can go though. Just have to let the sternum heal naturally. Thanks for all the thoughts and I lived YAHOO. Seriously I thought I was on my last breath the other night. Thank u so much for your kind words and little push not to be ignored. Its been a long 5 days but I'm now on my way again to a wonderful new life. Thank u to each and everyone of u.

My Lord soooo glad you are OK.......so scary!!!!

YAY Arittel!! So glad to hear you are on the mend. I love happy endings! LOL!

~Fran

I got home last night and had Soup and Boost Glucose Control--it all stayed down!!! :smile: Still sore and tender but MUCH better. Now today I'm back to work. I hope I make it all day--I can see a nap in my future at lunch time.

I got home last night and had Soup and Boost Glucose Control--it all stayed down!!! :( Still sore and tender but MUCH better. Now today I'm back to work. I hope I make it all day--I can see a nap in my future at lunch time.

Arittel...take good care of yourself. Don't push the limits and take time to heal. You don't want to repeat your incident. Feed your band as if were your baby. Take care.:smile:

I can hardly believe what you went through! You poor thing I wish I could hug you! Not sure where you are in SD, but I am in Rapid City and the bariatric staff here is phenomenal and I know they could help. I know if I had an emergent issue, my surgeon would be in pronto - even in the middle of the night. When I was having some issues with too much restriction, the bariatric coordinator talked me through it and gave excellent suggestions but also said she could get the doc to see me if needed, which I didn't need to because her tips worked. PM me if you ever need to talk...

april k