Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have not been filled yet and I'm concerned about how much i am eating

hello, my surgery date was 9-28-10 and my doc has moved me back to solid foods. I have a huge appetite and I can eat as much as before. I feel so disappointed and concerned at the same time. should I be feeling restriction? once in a while I feel like i get a clog in my throat but it passes quickly. Could I have damaged this thing without knowing it? I dont get my first official fill until 10-12. man by then I might have put 10 pounds on. I really dont feel any different when I eat. I am craving everything bad. pizza, candy, soda...you name it I want it. Whats going on?

If you are eating the same after surgery as you were before then you need a fill. I am 10 months post op and have never been filled and have lost 70lbs with no fill. If I eat too much my shoulder hurts so I know how much I can eat. I dont think you ruined it I think you just need to cut your portions in half until you get a fill and yes if you feel like something is in your throat but then it moves down it is getting stuck. You should not be eating more than 2-4 ounces of food at this point. Just cut back on eating the band is only a tool to help you it wont do it for you.

I had the surgery on 09/23 and I'm really hungry too. I've had my first fill to 5cc two weeks ago and I'm scheduled for another one this week. I can eat about 8 ounces of food before feeling satisfied. But 3 hours later I'm hungry again. Just waiting till I get enough fills that will make me not think about my next meal or dessert. I'm losing about two pounds a week but that's because I'm exercising with a trainer twice a week and walking a lot. I'm sure this will get better eventually. Good luck!

DON'T WORRY! My doctor didn't want to give me another fill until two months after my surgery. I was hungry all the time, but I stuck with healthy eating, so I still managed to lose weight, even though I was eating a lot. I just made sure that I was eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and getting enough Protein. (I love stir-fry! This is the way to go when you're trying to lose weight.)

Remember not to drink a half hour before or after eating. This way, the Water won't force the food down, which does happen when you don't have enough restriction. The first couple of fills brought me back to this place, and I got pretty upset, but then they started working. With each fill, I would lose more and more weight. I started exercising almost daily, which made the weight fall off even faster. If you've gotten four fills and still feel hungry after eating a full plate of food, then you can start stressing. :huh2:

Thank you for your posts, I have accepted that I'm on my own until I start getting fills. I called the doc and he also assured me what I am feeling is normal. This is pretty tough at the moment. I guess I didn't realize that when I was going to start solids again I would feel this way. I am hoping once I start the filling process I can start losing again. my doc made it a point that I stay on the south beach and minimal exercising until 4 weeks. well almost at 4 weeks so I get to hit the treadmill again. I've been walking but not very hard. I havent gained weight but I also havent lost. hopefully I will start shedding pounds again once a turn up the work outs. I cant wait to get this process moving again. thanks again!

It took me until my 3rd fill to really be able to notice a real restriction. I was concerned too because I felt like I could eat as much as before, if I would let myself. The doctor kept emphasizing 1/2 cup per meal and I was trying, but felt like I was starving. I can really tell a difference now, but since I got my last adjustment on Thursday, I'm really afraid I'm too tight. I really want this to work!

Thanks, I am still 10 days away from my first fill. This feels like its been forever since my surgery date. I cant help getting over the nagging feeling that I damaged my band. I figure I likely didn't, but a few times, I did over eat. I wasn't in pain but it certainly wasn't a half cup serving. I also cheated by eating some halloween candy. I feel like a crack addict. I saw the candy, told myself no, and an hour later had some. Not happy about it but at that moment of impulse I just did it. I just want to get moving. I have maintained my weight for the last month but I was hoping to continue losing during this time. I still exercise and try to eat sensable but the weight has stopped coming off. I lost 25 pounds before surgery than lost 10 pounds during my liquid diet. I read so many post on here and it seems like I am the only one having these concerns and impulse moments. Is that true or are people just not talking about it?

randy - Your experience sounds exactly like mine. My sister has some complications and had to have her band removed for about 10 months, (thankfully she has it back now) but it's caused me to be very concerned about harming my band. Until I got my first fill, felt like I could eat as much as I ever could, and was definately eating more that the half cup servings, but like you, I maintained my weight, but really didn't lose during that time. From my limited experience, it sounds like your having the same experience that I have had. I'm 5 months out from surgery and have lost about 60 lbs.

Thanks Hopeful, if you dont mind, what caused the damage to your sisters band. I am trying to educate my self on not screwing this thing up. Thanks again

For starters, you should know we're a little hard headed :rolleyes: We don't want to be a "pest", so are hesitant to call the doctor's office, even if we have questions. We both will try to self-diagnose before we bother the doctor with anything....

She was having trouble eating, and was throwing up almost daily when she tried to eat. She was rationalizing with herself that she was just eating the wrong things or trying to eat too much, and telling herself it wasn't a blockage so she didn't call the doctor. When she finally went back to see him, she did actually have a blockage and all the throwing up had caused her band to slip. He scheduled her for surgery to go back in and reposition the band, but when he got in there, she had so much inflammation on her band site, he had to remove it. She was blessed to be able to have it put back in. But once you have adjustments, the best advise we can give is, don't hesitate to call your doctor and ask questions! I had an adjustment Thursday and have been having discomfort when I eat ever since. I finally broke down an called Dr. Britt's office today and will go back to see him tomorrow - thinking I may be too tight. But I have lost 8 lbs in a week! :wub:

thanks a lot for the info! 8 pounds in a week, thats great, I'll have to keep your advise in mind. Good luck at the Docs.

Thanks, I was really hoping not to have to an un-fill, but I'm getting ready to be on the road with my husband for a week, and I don't want to be in pain the entire time and don't want to be on Clear liquids the entire trip either.

Good luck to you too!