Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I tend to be pretty skeptical of anything, so I'm hoping some people here can help me. I've gone over these message boards over and over and am really excited about the possibility of getting lapband. My insurance doesn't cover it and my BMI is about 38. I'm thinking about Dr. Ortiz in Mexico but am still a little worried about getting surgery in Mexico.

I've read great things about Dr. Ortiz on here, but I've also been warned that those things may have been written by patient coordinators. How do I find out who is the real deal? I want real answers from real people about the safety and effectiveness of this surgery. Any suggestions?

There are many Drs in the states who will do the lapband as outpatient for cash pts. Im in florida and my Dr is reasonable for cash patients and a really good surgeon.

While I understand how big of an issue money can be, I would be very cautious. Just speaking from the gut - are you sure you want to have someone you do not have 100% confidence in to cut you open and permanently install a device in your body? What if something goes wrong, even later down the road? Will your insurance cover that? I would check out financing options and actually consult some doctors to see what they can do. I had the surgery, insurance covered it. Afterwards I lost my job and insurance and didn't go back to get my fills because of the cost. I went back yesterday and explained my situation - not only was self-pay half the price of what they charge the insurance company (they do that because the insurance company never pays the full amount and they have to write it off anyway), but he will do my next fills for free. That's my opinion - really check out all of your options. Maybe the Mexico option is a good one, just be sure.

I don't know Dr. Ortiz, so I can't address his expertise, specifically. I do know that, while I am willing to travel for surgery (and will, in fact, for my plastic surgery), I would never do so without first meeting the doctor.

The problem with traveling to a foreign country--aside from language barrier---is that aftercare becomes incredibly difficult.

And IMO, patient education and aftercare are really, really important to banding success.

So as part of your considerations, do think about who will provide your aftercare if you do choose to travel to Mexico for the band.

There are a lot of people on here who have done so very successfully.

My personal recommendation would be to find a local surgeon you love, and ask him if there's wiggle room on his usual and customary fee for a self-pay patient.

I would not go to another country to have anything done.

That is just my personal thought about it. If something goes very wrong there is nothing you can do about it.

I was self-pay and went to Denver to have my surgery. I am very happy with my surgeon and my results.

www.lapbandrockies.com ($9,950)

I disagree. Dr.Ortiz spends days with you when you get there answers any questions you have. He doesnt leave you worried or unsure. Im having him do my lap band in DEC I have 3 friends who had their lap band done by him. Let me tell you he's an amazing surgeon. He has a youtube, you can go on there he talks a lot about everything, he even has a recorded video of the surgery. here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/user/LAPBANDVIDEOS

Also, he's done over 7,000 procedures. He is the co founder and basically the teacher of a lot of surgeons in the states!!! He was on Oprah, Oprah isn't gonna put and incapable idiot on her show.

My dad was worried about the Mexico thing, my friend and the staff have assured us it's in a area for tourists, extremely clean hospital, she said the cleanest she's seen. There is no language barrier, everyone who will take care of you at the hosptial, or the hotel will speak english, its the tourist area, not the ghetto :thumbup:

You can't beat the price, insurance is suppose to reimburse us 70% too. As for the if something was to go wrong, the only thing that might go wrong is slippage, which doesnt happen that often. They can take care of that at the local area where they do your fills. You dont have to go back to mexico for that.

Im so excited to have him do my surgery, everyone whos come from him has had amazing results.

My friend was 370 lbs she is now 161.

AMAZING!!! :biggrin:

Let me know if you have any more questions about Dr. Ortiz.

Whats a patient coordinator?

Edited by CherieElise

I would never have considered having my surgery outside the U.S. The surgery is just one small step of the process. The after care is a *major* consideration. In the last 11 months I've been to my doctor 10 or 12 times tweaking my fills to get to the right point. Worst case scenario...can you afford to go to Mexico once a month...or more...until you get the right restriction?

In Mexico they use the old style band not the new improved version. That is why it is cheaper it is not the same thing. If I were going to Mexico because that is all I could afford I would get the sleeve.

I was cash pay and I used a Dr in Dallas for $10,200.

maybe in most places in mexico but dr ortiz's Obesity Control Center is a officially declared a international center of excellence, i doubt they will use older versions of the band, but I will double check with him just in case, i still highly doubt this.

See signature....no self pay person should get a band.

Any one who tells you not to get a band or tells you that it isn't a good idea for any reason is run off from this site.

SO BE VERY SKEPTICAL....but start with being skeptical about the band.

Jaffa,

I'm sorry you had a defective band, but the vast majority of people have had no problems.

The only extra consideration self-pay has is the cost of the fills which could amount to another couple thousand dollars depending on how much they charge for a fill. My surgeon said if insurance doesn't pay for fills, they will not charge more than $125 for a fill.

The sleeve has its own set of problems. With the sleeve, your 'pouch' is whatever size it is and I know several people who've had the sleeve who still deal with hunger issues because it's not adjustable like the band is. It's why I chose the band.

I went to Mexico and had the band done by Dr. Kuri...

I have heard great things about Dr. Ortiz, I did lots of research of doctors before I went with Dr. Kuri (I think they are in the same hospital).

His office has a network of doctors in almost every state here in the US..My fill doctor is at the county hospital, and he is great!!! My insurance also covers the fills (yay!)

I had a really wonderful experience in Mexico (well..as far as surgery goes, ha!) I would definitely do it all over again (my fill doc has commented on how nicely the band was placed!).

Just like here in the USA, you have to do your research. There are good and bad doctors everywhere!!!

I would check with Dr. Ortiz's office to see if they have lists of doctors that they use. I would strongly suggest having your followup care lined up before you go..Many docs won't touch a patient unless they did the surgery (doesn't matter if you had it done in Mexico or not) :smile2: There is always Fill Center USA if you can't find anyone to follow up with you.

Good luck!!! :tt2:

Yeah, he is going to be my surgeon, dr ortiz, and im so pleased that it's him doing it!

Classic...you tell them all they need to worry about is the cost of fills, but in reality, they have to worry about paying for a future surgery if the bands erodes, or if it leaks, or if slips badly enough. Or you may end up dialeted and have to have everything removed in your band, and then you will have to pay for all of the fills to get back to where you were at.

"all you have to worry about is the cost of fills"

Totally misleading and wrong.