Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to regret my decision...

I had my surgery Sept 30. They said everything went great. Since I've been home I can barely get any fluids in me. Im suppose to have 1 oz of Water every waking hour. I can get maybe a total of 11oz of Fluid in me a day. I'm suppose to have my Protein Shake, my clear broth and water. I take a few sips of Protein shake and I'm done same with the broth. When I take a deep breath I have a sharp pain on my side when I breathe deeply and I feel like I always have a lump in my throat. I have a pain in my neck that won't go away. I always feel hot and clammy. Last night I tossed and turned so much I was waking up every 1Hr or so. I already have a bad back, so from all the tossing and turning I now have horrible lower back pain. And to make matters worse... I am completely starving myself. I could of been cruel to myself and starved myself without surgery. I want it out!!!!!!! I am sooo miserable!!!

Edited by Herraven

Yep.... you are in that 4-5 day post op "slump". I think a majority of us felt this way. I have said a milion times and will continue to say....On day 4 or 5 I text my husband and told him I wanted this thing outta me. And at that time I seriously meant it.

Good News: IT GETS BETTER!!! Try a warm pack/ heating pad to your neck. Make sure you take your pain meds regulary (even if you aren't hurting too bad) and especially before you go to bed. The liquids will get better. Just take it slow and easy. sleep at as much of an incline as you can, pillows stacked or in a recliner. Walk and rest!!!

Best of luck to you.

If fluids are not going down, call your surgeon. You should be able to drink. Staying hydrated is imperative. Check if you have a fever, if so, it is another reason to call in. If something feels wrong, don't wait.

I had my band on Tuesday, so two days before you. I felt the same way. In fact, day three after any surgery is the worst day. I've had many knee surgeries and it has always been day 3. I called my doctor and was told not to worry about the shakes or anything but just drink Water. I had Vitamin Water, a tiny bit of juice and regular water. Today will just suck. I regretted my choice too,but I promise it will get better. Walk around, take some Tylenol, and focus on drinking. There will be a turning point. I've not had normal food since last Saturday night and I'm down 10 pounds today! There is hope.

Just had my surgery on 9/30/10 too. Having some of the same feelings...OMG what have I done to myself, what if I spent all this money (self pay) and this doesn't work, what will my friends, family think of me then? From what I've read this scary thinking is pretty typical right after surgery. I'm just hoping this too will pass and I will get to my first fill uneventful. One question...my surgeon said he found a small tumor (noncancerous) that he'll need to take care of in 3 - 4 months. :scared2:I have my followup with him on Tuesday to learn more. He said the band placement is fine but eventually the tumor could grow and cause me some problems. Did anyone else experience anything like this?

Band 9/30/10

Highest weight 220

Weight at surgery 206

Current 207

I've been talking to my best friend who had this surgery last year and her 5 scars are teeny tiny. My largest one is 4 inches long then a 2 inch one and the other three are about an inch long. Some of the others that I have known to get wls their entry scars were small too. So on top of it all I feel like the bride of Frankenstein. I feel so depressed and I can't stop crying.

Herraven:

First of all, call your Dr. You should be able to drink. That is crucial to a good recovery. Second, did your Dr. tell you what kind of scars you should expect? If he did and they are larger than you expected you need to know why. It could be that there is a very good reason why they are the way they are. If you never discussed it with him you still have the right to ask for an explanation of what they are.

Third, You should try to put behind the whole Bride of Frankenstein thinking. Just imagine how you will feel when you begin to lose a significant amount of weight. You will begin to feel beautiful in ways you can't imagine right now and a few scars on your tummy will not take away from that feeling. But you need to feel better about what you are going through right now and so call your Dr.

Keep us posted.

I had my surgery on Tuesday the 28th and I know exactly what you're going through cause that was me about 3 days ago. I was in unbearable pain and couldn't help but cry and feel wicked depressed. I felt disgusting and didn't even want my boyfriend to look at me because I felt like a monster. All that went through my head was that none of this was going to be worth it, I thought I was wrong, that I took the easy way out and that no one would understand why I did what I did. But after another day of coping and giving myself some me time I realized it was all going to be worth it in the end that I was doing this to better myself and that this is just another part of the journey. Best of luck to you!

:smile2:

I am in the same boat.

I don't even try to drink my Protein Shakes because I'm scared it will just come back up. Everything comes back up. I'm not regretting the lap band or anything, I'm just concerned about being so weak and unable to keep even the simple fluids down.

Herraven - call your doctor!

Paigey - your liquids should not be coming back up call your doctor too!

I was having a horrible tight feeling in my chest post op, a hard time breathing, hard time swallowing...

turns out there was air in my band

once they adjusted it on day 4 - my existence felt so much better!!

Please call your surgeons

Oh I was there about a week and a half ago! I was MISERABLE. Felt nauseated by everything, sore, the gas pains oh my gosh. And I had neck and shoulder pain and was starving. TOTALLY understand! I swear to god it will get better and you WILL feel like a human again. I felt the same way and wanted this stinking thing out but I turned a corner about 5 days after surgery..you will too!!! You can do it!

Thank you Thank you Thank you to everyone for words of encouragement. This has to pass for me just like it did for others...I'm only 3 days out and am able to keep shakes and Water down. Had terrible gas pain but it too seems to have "passed" a little. I'm still pretty soar so I'm not even thinking about food now, don't think I will ever again as soar as my stomach is! Guess that's how this helps you lose weight! LOL...ouch..that hurt. Take care all...

Thank you for all of the words of encouragement. I will however be calling my dr again tomorrow. I called him late Friday and told him about not being able to drink as much as I needed but he said keep trying and things will get better. I will ask him about the scarring because I was told that they would be small minor cuts about an inch or smaller. The inch one being the port insision. I stopped taking my pain meds because I thought if I was high on my pain meds I wouldn't feel if there was anything wrong. This is my first surgery ever. I haven't even been pregnant before so I am a little freaked out and possibly over reacting. My husband got on to me about stopping my pain meds and stood in front of me this morning w/ pills and Water in hand. He has been a great person to depend on through this whole process and has been extremely understanding. He brought home 4 different kinds of sugar free Jello home because he wasn't sure what flavor I would be in the mood for <3 I hope everybody that is going through this procedure has somebody like this to help you at home.

Loved to see all the great advice given to our struggling fellow bandsters. Basically we MUST all be our body's best friend and if there's anything we're feeling unhappy about we must give ourselves permission to call the doctor and get some information. You have all reinforced this for me even though all going fairly well 2 weeks down the road. For those with pain - TAKE YOUR MEDS. Pain is depresssing, brings negative thinking and stops us thinking clearly. The meds are there to help us so don't be afraid of taking them. Have great week all.

Thank you for all of the words of encouragement. I will however be calling my dr again tomorrow. I called him late Friday and told him about not being able to drink as much as I needed but he said keep trying and things will get better. I will ask him about the scarring because I was told that they would be small minor cuts about an inch or smaller. The inch one being the port insision. I stopped taking my pain meds because I thought if I was high on my pain meds I wouldn't feel if there was anything wrong. This is my first surgery ever. I haven't even been pregnant before so I am a little freaked out and possibly over reacting. My husband got on to me about stopping my pain meds and stood in front of me this morning w/ pills and Water in hand. He has been a great person to depend on through this whole process and has been extremely understanding. He brought home 4 different kinds of sugar free Jello home because he wasn't sure what flavor I would be in the mood for <3 I hope everybody that is going through this procedure has somebody like this to help you at home.

So glad your husband is being a watch dog. Good to hear you being more positive. You won't believe the difference in yourself by the end of this week!