Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

if weight is lost during 6 mo. pre op, can they disqualify you?

ive been wondering if it is possible for the doctor to disqualify you from having the lap band if you lose weight during the 6 month pre op nutritionist visits..

can they assume that you are able to lose that kind of weight on your own and keep it off?

how much weight did you lose in your pre op diet? whether it was 2 weeks, or 2 months.. im curious!

No. The weight they take at your first appointment is the weight they use to determine eligibility. My doctor requires that all of his patients lose 5% before surgery, because it shrinks your liver and makes the surgery much easier and hence much safer. If you do not lose you keep seeing the nutritionist until you do.

I lost 15 lbs before surgery.

Kristy is correct! Atleast that's what my doctor told me. They take your starting BMI and weight. Also, insurance sees it as maintaining the weight off as well as losing it. They look at the long run also. I only have 3 months pre-op and can't stand waiting! Im trying to enjoy food before the surgery but still working out and watching what I eat because I wont be eating the same after surgery. It is recommended you lose weight to shrink liver and you will have less complications.

I lost 341bs preop during 6 mos waiting. No prob with insurance either. I think it lets doc know how serious you are as well

I've been told the same thing by my surgeon. I'm only 3 months from being banded as well. Hopefully Dec. I've lost 23 pounds so far. Keep loosing and gaining the same 6 pounds lately. I'm so excited to start this journey just scared of what life will be like when I'm not the fattest person in the room anymore. Anyone feel nervous about shedding all of this?

My surgeon required a 10% body weight loss. My surgery was postponed for other reasons and I ened up loosing over 15%. No one likes to hear it (I certainly did'nt) but my surgeon said the more you lose before the surgery the sooner you will get to goal after.

I've been told the same thing by my surgeon. I'm only 3 months from being banded as well. Hopefully Dec. I've lost 23 pounds so far. Keep loosing and gaining the same 6 pounds lately. I'm so excited to start this journey just scared of what life will be like when I'm not the fattest person in the room anymore. Anyone feel nervous about shedding all of this?

i lost 20 pds in the 6 month preop. 9 pounds post op im 6 days out. and iam very afraid of shedding the weight because in the past ive lost weight and then sabotaged myself when i was slim and had too much attention so this time i plan to get a therapist

It is completely dependent on your insurance contract. Mine uses BEGINNING BMI as an indicator, and requires 3 months supervision, and a 6-pound (at least) loss.

That loss pushed my BMI below the level required--but it didn't matter; they went with my starting BMI.

Some policies have different stipulations. Read yours--it will spell out the requirements for you, and relieve a lot of anxiety!

ive been wondering if it is possible for the doctor to disqualify you from having the LAP-BAND® if you lose weight during the 6 month pre op nutritionist visits..

can they assume that you are able to lose that kind of weight on your own and keep it off?

how much weight did you lose in your pre op diet? whether it was 2 weeks, or 2 months.. im curious!

I had no doubt I could lose the weight. I also have no faith in myself keeping it off. I've gained it back every time before. I got banded to keep it off, not to take it off.

I lost 95 pounds during the 5 months from my initial consultation until surgery. I questioned my surgeon's office at least once a month to ensure that it was my consultation stats they were forwarding to the insurance company.

Even if it weren't; I'd rather lose the weight and jeopardize the insurance company footing the bill than sit around and stuff my face until surgery.

I asked his very same question at my first meeting. Our meetings (spread out over 6 months) are run by bariatric nurses and nutritionists. I was concerned because right at my starting weight I am just at the cut off point for acceptance for surgery with a bmi of 40. I was worried that if I dropped below that I would get denied. I was told YES, that has happened before and that the nurses have 'looked the other way' when people come in for their last meetings and get weighed with big pockets full of coins and weights hanging from the back of their pants. :biggrin:

Anyway, scared me enough not to drop a pound as of yet and I am almost done with my 6 months...yikes! :)