Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a lap band put in last year. Now I feel like I was duped. The office said they had 2 board certified surgeons and we would always have access to good post op care. That turned out to be not the case at all. They had 2 surgeons, but one of them is away on an indefinite leave, so there is just one. The office keeps soliciting new patients, which takes up all the time of the only remaining surgeon. For my post op care all I can ever get is a nurse who doesn't want to hear any questions that are beyond his nursing ability.

So I am stuck with a malfunctioning band and a nurse who can only put liquids in and take liquids out, each time I have to pay for the visit, and he is extremely rough in the way he handles the band. This is a small town in Virginia, so the nearest other bariatric facility is about 70 miles away.

If the office would have been more honest up front I would not have had the procedure. I am seriously considering having the band removed (at the facility 70 miles away so it can be done by a surgeon, not a nurse) because I cannot get post op care from a qualified physician in this town.

Just venting.

That does stink. I know a lot of people travel 70 or more miles for fills so it is do-able. I did an 80 mile commute each way to work for over a year... it was not fun, but if it was only once a month or less it wouldn't be so bad. Are you having good results with the band? Do you think if you made the trip to the better doctors every 4-6 weeks you'd be more successful? I would think that would be worth the try as you've already put so much into it, at least I would give it a go before deciding on surgery again.

Hope something positive comes of this for you!

I am sorry you are having such a bad experience. Have you discussed your current problems with the facility that is 70 miles away? Maybe they can help you now and after that you may not need to visit their office very often. It was a year for me in June and I only have to visit the office if I need a fill. My last fill was in Nov. '09. so my visits are far apart.

Keep your chin up, it is hard when you aren't getting what you were promised, but whatever you decide to do I wish you good luck.

I drive 50 miles one way. They have no weight loss Dr's in my small town. I beleive your health is worth driving the extra distance for better care. Good Luck to you!

Laramie;

Is the remaining surgeon a general surgeon, too, or only a bariatric surgeon? Mine was a general surgeon in practice with another one and they both took on bariatric surgeries but kept the general surgery practice.

As a result, they were often called for emergencies and my appts. had to be rescheduled. It was very difficult getting a surgery date with them too because of their busy general surgery practice. Now, the one surgeon has left for another hospital leaving the remaining surgeon busier than ever, I guess. The reason I guess is that I left this practice about 18 months ago. I did not like my follow up care with this doctor. I don't think he was well versed in the band, it's expectations, and nutrition. My new surgeon is just a bariatric surgeon and much, much better.

So, you should definitely look into these other doctors 70 miles away because good follow up care is the most important part of the band. Good luck.

If you are unhappy with your care you should check out the bariactric program at the larger hospital. I will tell you that my surgeon does not do fills. The practice has two nurse practioners who handle fills. FYI a nurse can not remove the band that would be surgery which has to be done by a surgeon.

What problems are you having? Maybe if you post them you could get assistance here.

In Aus it is fairly standard practice to see your surgeon preop, for the surgery and the first post op app. After that fills etc are normally done by another qualified professional but not the surgeon which if you think about it makes a lot of sense. if you have a problem and need to see the surgeon you need to make a specific appointment requesting that.

To have your band removed seems a little bit extreme. Why do you think your band is malfunctioning? Is it maybe something that you are doing/not doing that is stopping you from getting the results that you desire.

If you do genuinely have a band problem that you need to be firm and insist on an appointment with the surgeon.

But if it is something else then it is quite likely that someone here may have the answer as collectively we have a lot more hands on experience than some of the fill nurses.

I agree with ELCEE

That does suck! But 70 miles doesn't seem that far to me for excellent post-op care. I travel 50 miles to the other side of the SF Bay Area for my doc. With traffic, my commute to the doctor is about an hour and a half. I even got in a horrific car accident on my way there one time, but I still go every month.

Personally I would just try and switch to the other practice and keep the band. It may work great for you if you get good follow up care. 70 miles isn't all that far and the benefits for you would be great if they can make your band work for you.

Hang in there! Give the other doctors a shot on your post-op care before you give up with the band. It's such a great tool, and you've already gone through the trouble to get it installed. Driving out of your way for a fill will be worth it once you get things up and running. Do this for yourself. You deserve to be happier and healthier.

Best wishes,

Catherine

I have to go to a whole different country just to get my fills (mexico), so 70miles doesnt seem that bad. but you do what you have to do. good luck on your decision.

04948749-FFAB-E84C-90A7-1D94AFDDA05E

Where are you in VA? I'm in Richmond and LOVE my Dr.... Dr. Elliott at Henrico Doctor's Hospital. I always get an appointment to see him and he does all of the bariatric patients... no PAs or NPs and his partners just do the general surgery type stuff. He does fills under fluoroscopy so he can see your restriction and I had my first one done today. It was cool to see it working because my band was REALLY loose and he had to put 4cc in. I have the 9cc Realize Band.

I saw my surgeon for the last time about 3 weeks after surgery when he was making sure I was healing well and everything was ok. He told me that he hoped he'd never see me again because if he did, it meant I was having difficulties that would most likely need surgery.

Fills are done by either a tech or the same nurse who assists him in surgery. They only do fills on Tuesdays and I drive about 80 miles one way to the bariatric clinic. Once I hit my sweet spot, they tell me I probably won't need to see them but every 6 months or so as I lose weight and need (or maybe not) an adjustment to the fill.

Why do you think your band is malfunctioning? No offense intended but having the band removed seems an overreaction. Remind yourself why you had this done...and then just tell yourself that it is done and move forward. ;-)

I'm sorry you're having such strong second thoughts. Have you lost much weight? Have you had problems with your band?

I had my surgery a 3 hour flight from my home.... I get fills from a doctor 50 miles away. Most of my follow-up is by phone or email to the facility I flew to.. but barring anything serious, I don't see that I would need to have face time with my surgeon again.

I would really try and make the best of your band--- it's a lot easier to work with it than to have it removed and be back where you started!

Just my opinion- best of luck!