Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Biggest Loser 9/21 - Lapband Failure Contestant

I am not a growth hormone expert but wouldn't a 14 year old still be going through puberty and other things? Even though she was severly obese at that age it would seem like your mind and body would have a hard time adjusting to WLS at that age. Maybe by 16 it would have been better for her. I can remember 14 and my hormones were raging!!!! It would take a really mature 14 year old to be successful at WLS like the Lapband. Diet, Exercise, and a dietary evaluation would have been better.

I watched to the show last night I was thinking the samething 14 is to young to have that surgery. I feel sorry for them doing Boot Camp.

Montina's profile says she actually had LAP-BAND® surgery. Jessica's profile also shows she had LAP-BAND® surgery.

Ok we have three people that had WLS.

Montina's profile says she actually had LAP-BAND® surgery.

Jessica's profile also shows she had LAP-BAND® surgery.

Allie's profile shows she had the Vertical Banded Gastroplasty surgery at the age of 14.

FYI, soon my profile shows LAP-BAND® surgery!! :rolleyes2:

I remember at the age of 14, I was thinking about recess and cartoons. Not about surgery!!

I remember at the age of 14, I was thinking about recess and cartoons. Not about surgery!!

LOL! Me too!

My mind wouldn't have been able to really wrap around all the commitments invloved with WLS and I think I was a "mature" 14 year old as well.

I have a very mature 15 year old at home, but she would still be too young for this kind of surgery (luckily she doesn't need it).

She's a good kid, but I agree with Betsy regarding teenage noncompliance.

I don't really care how mature a 14 year old is I think it's way to young for Surgery. I still beleave WLS should be a last resort, Most of us who have had it have tried and failed at other types of weightloss. At 14 I think they can still be retrained to live a healthy lifestyle. I feel at that age it's the parents that control how much exercise and the types of foods the child is getting. As far as the show goes WOO HOO I'm so ready for the new season.

Burgandy also had Lap Band surgery, right? I noticed Jessica's scars last night and went on the website. There were 3 Bandsters, 1 bypass and 1 VBG (?) which I think is like stapling. I only noticed the scars on Jessica.

It is interesting to have several people that have undergone WLS participate. I have no idea if that is the norm or not. I honestly didn't think about it until this season.

I can't wait to get to know the contestants. I love this show! I know it isn't the healthiest approach to weightloss and isn't the most reasonable either since most people don't have the resources to work out 8 hours a day. But I still get inspired by it!

Burgandy also had LAP-BAND® surgery, right? I noticed Jessica's scars last night and went on the website. There were 3 Bandsters, 1 bypass and 1 VBG (?) which I think is like stapling. I only noticed the scars on Jessica.

It is interesting to have several people that have undergone WLS participate. I have no idea if that is the norm or not. I honestly didn't think about it until this season.

I can't wait to get to know the contestants. I love this show! I know it isn't the healthiest approach to weightloss and isn't the most reasonable either since most people don't have the resources to work out 8 hours a day. But I still get inspired by it!

She was the only one I noticed the scars on too. As soon as I saw them I thought she must be banded.

I can't wait to see how the season turns out.

The fact that so many have had WLS makes me afraid that the show is going to be sending a message that WLS is too drastic and doesn't work.

I'm newly banded and I really don't want to hear it. I love BL but it is also a false perception of permanent weight loss.

What person that has a life can exercise 7-8 hours everyday and have personal trainers there to motivate them and work with them 1 on 1, show them what and how to eat and I'm sure pay them a nice chunk of change to take 2-3 months off from their life?

I've also read former contestants say that as the finale comes up they fast , do cleanses and purges and all other kinds of tricks to win the big prize.

I'm glad I didn't tell most people that I had surgery because I don't want to hear it.

Dee

The fact that so many have had WLS makes me afraid that the show is going to be sending a message that WLS is too drastic and doesn't work.

I'm newly banded and I really don't want to hear it. I love BL but it is also a false perception of permanent weight loss.

What person that has a life can exercise 7-8 hours everyday and have personal trainers there to motivate them and work with them 1 on 1, show them what and how to eat and I'm sure pay them a nice chunk of change to take 2-3 months off from their life?

I've also read former contestants say that as the finale comes up they fast , do cleanses and purges and all other kinds of tricks to win the big prize.

I'm glad I didn't tell most people that I had surgery because I don't want to hear it.

Dee

I agree. I hope it doesn't turn into a WLS bashing show.

Since they only mentioned it once during the show (is that right?) hopefully it isn't even going to be discussed much.

I have to admit that prior to my research, I had NO IDEA how difficult it would be. I realized that it would be different, but I didn't realize how much I would still need to focus on making good decisions. That's why I've been so open about it. I think I have really opened the eyes of my friends and acquaintances to the pros and cons of WLS. I think more people having exposure to that is a good thing.

It will be intersting to see if and how it comes up.

Erik Chopin, season 3 winner, gained a lot of his weight back. They help them take the weight off, but don't teach them HOW to keep it off.

'Biggest Loser' Champ Gains Back 122 Lbs | PopEater.com

Since they only mentioned it once during the show (is that right?) hopefully it isn't even going to be discussed much.

One advertisement I saw for the show was about a failed LAP-BAND®® patient. Don't remember if it was in a magazine or online.

I agree that most 14 year olds are not responsible for what they eat. It is their parents that plan,shop, cook etc. I would imagine that the whole family need help in instances like these in types of food, cooking methods etc.

To band a 14 year old would probably make no difference as her parents would still be buying and cooking the wrong foods. It would make banded life really hard.