Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Biggest Loser 9/21 - Lapband Failure Contestant

Another contestant had a vertical banding done. .. Allie

Another contestant had a vertical banding done. .. Allie

Jessica had lap-band too! I see a pattern here heheh

Any thoughts about the 1st espoide??

Allie had the Vertical Banded Gastroplasty at the age of 14 years old :rolleyes2:?!?! Her doctor explained it was a quick fix, but she never overcome her emotional addiction to food (duh ). I believe 14 yrs old is too young for any type of weight lost surgery. what you guys think??

Edited by vikki99

It just started. Glad I read this thread or I would of forgotten to watch it. This season I will not be eating my chips while watching it.

I missed the first hour of the show. Was that when the LAP-BAND® contestant was on? I think I saw the girl that was 14 when she had weight loss surgery. I agree way too young!

I really like this show....I see myself in so many of the contestants. Makes me cry right along with them. :rolleyes2:

there is so much sadness and death! I hope they get counseling while on the ranch....they will never suceed unless they get some help! I cry every single week right along with them!

watched it for the first time not feeling sorry for myself! such a good feeling....sat watching drinking my Water instead of a bowl of ice cream...

I watched ..... It looks like it will be pretty good.

I hope they don't do much WLS bashing because it has worked so well for me.

Any thoughts about the 1st espoide??

Allie had the Vertical Banded Gastroplasty at the age of 14 years old :rolleyes2:?!?! Her doctor explained it was a quick fix, but she never overcome her emotional addiction to food (duh ). I believe 14 yrs old is too young for any type of weight lost surgery. what you guys think??

OMG - way too young for WLS. No wonder she wasn't successful! We all know how important our roles and choices are in WLS - I don't think you have the maturity at 14 to accept responsibility for all that. I wish her the best of luck now and I hope that there is some sort of residual effect left from her surgery that may help her.

I watched each contestent get on the scale and I was checking for belly scars...I saw a lot of them, but the only WLS they mentioned was the one who had it at 14. I wonder if some of those other scars were WLS???

Okay I'm newly banded so I don't know everything there is to know yet but here are my thoughts on the Lap Band contestant.

Did you see how much she was struggling during the challenge? She finished last. If she were exercising all along like she should have been doing then she would have finished quicker. The Band can't and won't do everything for you you still have to put in the effort to exercise and eat right.

No, I don't think 14 is too young. Why should age have anything to do with whether or not you need the band? If anything, that 14 year old logically stands a better chance at being successful with the band because they aren't trying to undo 30 years of bad eating habits.

Well I don't think most 14 year olds are old enough and mature enough to make the changes that need to be made in order for the band to be successful for them.

But on the other hand- Have you guys ever watched Too Fat For 15 on Style channel? They are trying to lose hundreds of pounds with no help at all just exercising, restricting calories and counseling.

For a 14 year old I'm not sure which would be worse.

I think 14 is too young too.. And I would hope that a surgeon wont tell a 14 year old this would Solve all her problems.. Nothing is 100%.. EVERYTHING IN LIFE INVOLVES SOME WORK!

I wasnt impressed with some of them.. Seems to me they gave up easily on the challenge.

No, I don't think 14 is too young. Why should age have anything to do with whether or not you need the band? If anything, that 14 year old logically stands a better chance at being successful with the band because they aren't trying to undo 30 years of bad eating habits.

How many fourteen-year-olds do you know? The name of the game in early adolescence is noncompliance. It's part and parcel of the developmental stage. It's an utterly inappropriate time for weight loss surgery---and I would run fast from any surgeon willing to perform it. A couple of years--really, just a handful of years--can make all the difference in the world in terms of success.

It's hard enough to follow the rules as an adult. 14-year-olds are just stretching their wings; defying authority is a bona fide developmental task. Supporting them during this phase involves limiting the chances they will fail or harm themselves. To me, that means postponing things like bariatric surgery.