Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November bandsters unite!!

The liquid diet is tough, but way worth seeing the lbs come off! stick with it! Im on day 5 and I did cheat on day 2 and 3 (a piece of pizza and some tuna), but Ive been with it since then and I notice more progress when sticking to the rules. I have to drop 15lbs in 3 weeks, but right now its not seeming like that much of a stretch. Lots of SF Jello, SF popsicles, and low sodium broth, 2 Protein Shakes, and 1.5 cups of fat free cottage is all this body is running off. Not my life plan diet, but it works for now.

well i started my preop diet on sat 10-23. it is going ok. so far so good. surgery is 11-8. more excited each day.

Mine is November 8th also!!! So excited!

Hey Girls...

I'm in for Nov 19th...

I'm a mom of 2 (ages 4 & 7), married 8 years and have been over weight since my first pregnancy.

I live in Canada (Toronto)...And we have to pay in full for the procedure ALL $16,000.00 NO coverage.

We get 5 years of fillers and 24/7 support. The liquid shakes are extra ($200) & post op meds are extra too.

I worry I'll mess up...Anyone scared it won't work???

Congrats to all the November Bandsters!! My surgery date is Nov 11th, YIPPY!!!! I've been going back and forth between being excite and scared. I'm sure these feelings are normal.... right?

I've lost over 80 lbs at least 5 times in my life, let stress and life get the best of me. Now I'm right back to my highest weight again.

Starting liquids tomorrow, I'm very excited. Wishing all of us the best!!

Hi everyone. I'm super new to everything (forum, website, everything), but felt that I just had to write because everyone sounds so supportive and enthusiastic...which is exactly what I need.

Although I'm scheduled for Nov 18th, I'd be lying if I said that I'm just overjoyed. While I've finally come to terms with the fact that this IS the very best (and only) option for me, I'm still struggling to completely wrap my head around my choice. My mind is actually filled with conflicting emotions and I'm actually quite terrified.

What have I gotten myself into? What if something goes wrong? Is getting this surgery a cop out or cheating? What if I ruin my family's Christmas (my dad is so excited that it will be the first Christmas when he has all of his kids home for the holidays)? What if I fail? What if this is just going to be one more thing to add to my pile of useless weightloss regimes? What if I end up making myself ill (I'm bipolar and just a bit concerned about post-op depression, etc.) What about all my curves? as much as I loathe my current size, but I actually enjoy the fact that the one thing that I do have are curves.

I realise that I'm rambling, but I'm pretty all over the place. I'm lucky to have an aunt who knows all about the process and has lined me up with my surgeon, but I have not discussed anything with my parents or siblings because I don't want the drama of having them concerned or policing my actions. I know they mean well, but I'm afraid of having them watch me fail again. Both my parents are physicians and I get the impression that they both believe that I should be able to do it myself. I know that they want the best for me, but honestly I have always been 'the fat one' of the family. My dad's entire family has (had) a weight problem (him included) but my mother has always been slim...I've been the family 'project' for as long as I can remember, but I am finally doing this for me.

I'm sorry for off-loading all of this on everyone, but I iwll do my best to be another supportive member of this group.

NOVEMBER MEMBERS!!! YAY US!!!

Hey Tonkabelle,

I'm in the same vote...I just told my mom and her reaction was "Have you REALLY tried to lose the weight?" And my reply was "I have tried for 8 years...Still up and down and now I'm at my all time high...So, I feel this is my last resort.

I'm worried about eating too much that will cause the blockage, not being able to drink for 2 hours after a meal - really trying to time all my meals in with drinking. And making sure I chew well enough...And what to eat and what will pass ok and what will cause pain...All these stories from other Lap Banders with all the vomiting and band slipping...FREAKS me out.

As well as the procedure itself...I've never been put out before so that scares me...Any complications after scares me...And will I beable to do the liquid diet pre/post op??? Lets get real we all LOVE food so to go from eating to ONLY liquid is going to be hard. I just don't want to fail...

We have ours done a day apart...Will be nice to see how we're doing together.

Are you in the USA? I'm in Canada.

Hope where did you hear you cant drink 2 hours after meals? My nutitionalist told me it was just 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after (the big on is 30 minutes after). 2 hours sounds a bit extreme.

Hi guys!

Future Fab,

I'm having a band revision on the 11th! Good luck to the both of us...and to everyone else as well.

Tonkabelle,

I would say to you, hey don't worry about the "what ifs" but I know that's easier said than done. I'm worried about it myself and I already know what to expect. Due to the fact that you told us that you are bipolar, one piece of advice I can give is that you should do this with the help of counseling/therapy. Don't try this without it because even though naturally thin people think this is a quick fix....it's not. The band is only a piece of the puzzle. There's head hunger, emotional eating, that "food tastes so good I just want another bite even though I'm full" eating and other stuff too. I've been there but its not a bad place to be because when you get support from your DR., his staff, people you trust or those who are anonymous, like your new friends on LBT.com, you are surprisingly in good hands. Just be weary of the folks on here who act like they are "bandier than thou" (the ones who lost all the weight & think they are experts at it all).

Hi to everybody

My Surgery Date Is Nov.19. I am scared and excited at the same time. Glad to hear everybody doing well. Some of u guys are getting closer to your surgery date GOOD LUCK TO ALL..:laugh:

I don't understand why are they make us do the diet plan a week before or two weeks before the surgery

IF I COULD DIET THEN I WOULDN'T BE GETTING THE SURGERY!!!!

any answers?

The reason for a pre-op diet and it tends to be mainly pure liquids like mine will be 5-6 sf cib a day for 10 days and the day before Clear Liquids. Is your liver is most likely big and there is some fat around the stomach area and the pre-op diet helps to lessen those issues. Aka makes it easer for the dr to get behind your stomach to pull the band around it. You can see videos of the actual surgery on youtube and it shows how the dr goes around the back of the stomach.

I hope that helps. :laugh:

Hi everyone!

My surgery is scheduled for November 15th. I am so excited, nervous, anxious, sad, etc....all of the emotions. But I know this is the life change that I need for myself and my husband and daughter.

I teach 1st Grade. Am I crazy to think that if I have the surgery on a Monday, I can go back to work on Thurs. :laugh:

I would only have to work Thursday and Friday. I have the entire next week off for Thanksgiving Break.

Anyhow, glad to be a part of this support system!

emcdougall,

How fast you go back to work really all depends on how you feel but remember its surgery that cuts holes through your muscles to get to your internal organs. You may need some time to rest up. Good luck to you.

Hi Ape087,

I received a package from one of the surgeons and it said to keep the full feeling longer not to drink for 2 hrs after eating...As well as a hour before so the food stays solid in your stomach longer.

Hi Folks......... I have been reading daily of all your words of wisdom. I am scheduled for 11-18-10. I have a really wonderful story that goes with me getting approved. I started this journey knowing that my employer elected not to have the carrier Humana cover the surgery. My employer knew I had underlying health issues and realized the need for me to have this surgery. They actually added the covergae for me, making it retro active because they saw the need. They were concerned enough about my heath to make possible to have the proceedure. Now if that is the nicest thing.......... So here I SIT -8 days out from my preop visit with the doc and also starting the liquid diet. Life does have miracles doesnt it.

Edited by mybella1013