Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November bandsters unite!!

Monday is coming fast! I am so nervous about getting banded. I know that things will be ok though. The toughest thing so far is the liquid portion of the preop diet. I am so hungry it is not funny. I figure what is a couple months of "torture" for a lifetime of health. Good luck to all the November Bandsters. We are all going to do well! :thumbup:

I am beginning to realize this pre-op diet is a fast hard jerk of the reins. I see the slide back to eating again as a relearning period.

Congratulations on Monday being YOUR DAY!!:smile2:

Today, is my first day of the diet. I've been doing the diet since Monday. But officially this is the first day of the rest of my NEW LIFE...Living HEALTHY and Feeling ENERGETIC!!

Ok so I am on day five of this liquid diet and I swear i want to shoot myself. I have been hungry or at least wanting and craving for some favor in my mouth. I can not have anything beside the 5 Protein Shakes, up to two cups of raw veggies and 100 calories worth of approved calorie liquids. I have lost 6 lbs already but man this is hard all I want is some damn Soup. lol. Well I sorta cheated on day three and four. I ate a half of pop-tart and a can of low fat cream of mushroom soup and then on day four i ate like five french fries and 1 chicken nugget. I felt so bad afterward but I was craving bad. I think I am however figuring this out, I suck on a lots of Popsicle....and hard mints. Anyone else having issues with their liquid diet.

I'm not having too much of a problem, but we're allowed up to two lowfat Soups a day. It's weird to me how much the diets vary. Get your stories straight, doctors!

That said, on day 1 I was so hungry I chugged some marinara sauce from the bottle. Oh well, it's low fat. Since then, I haven't really been too hungry.

Hi Everyone! My surgery date is Thursday, Nov 4th. I'm into day 5 of Opti-Fast, and have lost 9 pounds already! That's a good feeling. I'm looking forward to my surgery, and wish all of us November-banders the best of luck!

I figure what is a couple months of "torture" for a lifetime of health. :thumbup:

ellen, you could not have said it better!!

Well, November is here in 2 days, and our members here are about to embark on the best journey of our lives! I posted a note to all of you on the forum, so check it out when you can.

I got a call from the dr's office yesterday. They said they now can do this procedure on an ambulatory basis, which means that I am eligible to go home the same day. Based on my case, I can go home the same day as long as there are no complications. The good thing is that if I go on ambulatory status, I will probably be one of the first surgeries of the day.

I am hoping all goes well, but am a little torn, as I would not really mind if I had to stay overnight. I have a 3 year old at home, and would rather rest up in the hospital, than be home having him see me, with me not being able to care for him as well. My husband will be with me, but my little guy is all about Mommy these days!

I am starting my pre-op diet on Nov 1. I did the rest of my shopping today and got my yogurts, jell-o, puddings and Soups.

I am so ready to go!!

Good Luck !!! Lauren

I got a call from the dr's office yesterday. They said they now can do this procedure on an ambulatory basis, which means that I am eligible to go home the same day. Based on my case, I can go home the same day as long as there are no complications. The good thing is that if I go on ambulatory status, I will probably be one of the first surgeries of the day.

Huh, we have the same doctor and they didn't tell me that. I guess we'll see! I'd rather be home asap. Hate, hate, hate the hospital more than anything. I'd also rather get the surgery over early in the day. I'm going to be hungry with just Clear Liquids the day before!

G Rose, the PA told me that they reviewed my case and I was a candidate for it. I guess everyone is different. I don't have any other issues like sleep apnea or blood pressure, etc than the weight. I guess you could call the office and ask for Myriam. She is the one who called me. Keep me posted!

I did hear from Aetna on Wednesday and they did approve!! I'm sorry if you mentioned in a prior post, I am new to this site and am learning my way around this. Have you seen the Aetna clinical bulliten? I guess you only get two chances at an appeal. I would make sure each criteria is listed on your appeal. I probably would advise that your doc write the letter since you only have two shots at it but maybe you can ask to see it before it is sent? Here is the link to Aetna's clinical bulletin I mentioned...

Obesity Surgery

Good luck!

Someone plz help a sista is seriously bad at this liquid diet. i have for real cheated today and ate a small bowl of spaghetti. Other than every once an a while wanting food and actually just tasting it I am doing good and has lost 8 lbs. However i feel like I am failing myself when I do eat something that I am not suppose to. I feel like I am making myself not available to have surgery or be prepared to make my healthier change in life.

Someone asked me for the number I phoned to find out if I got approved for surgery. It was 1-800-636-4297. Honestly it was luck of the draw. Sometimes I found the representatives to be very informative and others were just doing a job. Once they told me I was approved, I asked for a reference no. and I then phoned my MD office and asked informed them I was approved and gave them the reference no. I had so that they could easily confirm this. I got a letter later that week that I was planning to fax to my MD office (even though Aetna informed me they sent one to my MD office the same day) to get the ball rolling if there were any issues. I was just lucky there wasn't.

I'm Scheduled for Nov. 16th and I start my pre-op on Nov. 2nd. Anyone else having a little bit of anxiety over this? I think I'm having more anxiety about the pre-op diet than the actual surgery lol. A two week liquid diet might possibly be the hardest thing I've ever had to do...lol

Oh yes I have had much anxiety! I have my appt for pre-op testing and my nutrition class on 11-4. I will have to start my medi-fast diet then. I have felt like I have to eat those things I might crave for those 2 weeks and the first few weeks after surgery....is that crazy or what! I too am worried about those 2 weeks pre-op and how I am going to "hide" it from my coworkers. I know that I have to do it and I don't want complications during surgery, so I think that will keep me going. Good luck....you can do it!

I am scheduled for Nov 3!! so excited, nervous, a lil scared but very happy that I have made this decision and am moving forward....long road ahead but I am ready! :wink2:

I am soo happy to have all of you in this community to make this journey!! This will be a great source of support!

~Marilyn

Which is also my birthday so I feel the pain of those missing the holidays and birthdays as well. My doc does not require a liquid pre op diet but I think I am going to try it for a week to get a taste of some of the various shakes, etc that are available. As the month grows closer I get more and more nervous

I too am excited about my date of Nov 22 (well, tentatively scheduled, awaiting pysch and insurance approval)! Like you, I have concerns about the pre-op diet around coworkers, but planning hard for that and mostly eat on my own, or go out (even if it's to my car). I am subtly cutting back and refusing unhealthy things they offer me - making no big deal about it. Simply saying "no thank you" with a smile is enough explanation needed. My plan has been gradual - folks see me eating healthier, nothing more. Though I get along well with my coworkers, I consider this a private matter and will not tell them. I am purposely not striking up conversations surrounding my eating habits or weight loss. As I go strictly to liquids, it might be a little trickier, but again, they don't need to see me eating, I take my lunch to my cubicle rather than at the lunch table - been doing that for a while, eating while I work (for now).

I admit, I am slightly challenged about the pre-op diet (2 weeks clear liquids bef and after is required), but have started cutting back already and drinking Protein Shakes for Breakfast with frozen banana and strawberries blended in soy milk. I've lost about 3-4 pounds within a couple of weeks just by prepping for the prep!

Let's stay connected about our Nov 22 surgery date. I purposely pushed for Monday the 22nd since it's Thanksgiving week. I'm off work that Thursday and Friday and taking Mon thru Wed off as vacation days, which gives me a week to recup before returning to work. My support person said that that week looks good for scheduling, and once insurance is approved, I can have that date! Looking forward to this journey - let's do it together!! :smile2:

I chose thanksgiving week so that it would be the least disruptive to our office's schedule. I am hoping 1 week of being home doing little will be enough....i am not looking forward to cooking thanksgiving dinner :wink2:....but i know that i am doing this to have more thanksgivings with my family!:laugh: We can do this!!

Edited by wakeuprn