Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November bandsters unite!!

I just got over here yesterday and am thrilled to find great support and so much information!

My date is set for November 11. I actually could have done it sooner, but being a teacher, it was better for me to do it during a holiday weekend so I don't have to use up another sick day.

Anyway, if anyone else out there is scheduled for November, please come join here!! Let's do this journey together!:thumbup:

YAY! Thats my surgery date too! I tried getting a thread going a week or so ago and no one responded. I was thinking it was maybe just a little to early. I'm glad we can go through it together! Where do you live? I'm in MN. I have almost everything done, just need to lose 15 pounds, which I am sort of struggling with. I have BCBS and have to get the 6 months of dietican visits in.

Hi Jen!! Nice to meet you! So glad we can go through this together! This will be a big help to have people to do this with.

I was actually scheduled to have it in Ocober, but I had to postpone to a holiday weekend so I do not use up too many sick days. I am a teacher, so I am trying to limit the days I need to take off, since I know I already have to take off for my pre-op, and post-op appointments.

A little about me. I am from NY and I'll be 41 on November 13. So I guess this surgery is my bday present! I also have BCBS and I have completed all of the pre-req appointments . Why do you have to lose 15 lbs? There was no mention of me having to lose weight for this, though I did manage to lose about 12 months during the 6 month weight ins.

I am married for almost 10 years and have a 3 year old son. It will be 2 years in January that my mother passed away from complication from diabetes. My aunt passed away from the same thing about 10 years ago. Both were overweight. Though I get tested for diabetes every year, I have always been fine, but I don't want to get to that point. I also want a better quality of life.

I have been overweight my whole life. I have had enough. I certainly do not want to end up like my mother who was always sick. And I certainly do not want my son to go through having to lose a parent!

Anyway, looking forward to our journey together!! Talk to you soon!

Hi there :(

I am going for my consultation this thursday 9/16/10. I participated in a webinar on 8/11/10 and this Thursday was my first opportunity to go in for a consult due to work obligations. So, I don't have a surgery date but would love to be a part of your group!

My doctor require his patients to lose weight before the surgery, but BCBS doesnt. Its just what he prefers. I am a mommy too! I have 2 busy boys. they are 3 and 5. I also have been overweight my entire life.... so its time to make a positve change in my life! I can't wait for us!

Welcome Mrs LD!! Glad to have you here!! The more the merrier! What kind of webinar was it that you did??

Jen did you do the 2 hour education course? I am scheduled for that on 9/28. I wish they would have told that I could have done it sooner, so that I could have done it over the summer. Now I have to ask for a 1/2 day at work! That should go over well, since I also have to ask for these few days off for the pre-op appt and the actual surgery!! UGH!!!

Welcome Mrs LD!! Glad to have you here!! The more the merrier! What kind of webinar was it that you did??

Jen did you do the 2 hour education course? I am scheduled for that on 9/28. I wish they would have told that I could have done it sooner, so that I could have done it over the summer. Now I have to ask for a 1/2 day at work! That should go over well, since I also have to ask for these few days off for the pre-op appt and the actual surgery!! UGH!!!

you know, I am not really sure if I have to do the course or not, I have a meeting with the dietican this week, I will ask her. Yes,that is a pain to have to take more time off of work to do that. Does your school know what you are getting done? I didnt want to tell anyone at work but our schedules are so crazy and basically revolve around one another so I told my boss I am having elective surgery and he said that was all he needed to know. How much time are you planning on taking off? And what grade do you teach? How is the class so far? My son just started kindergarten- I think its harder on me than him!

One of the surgeons in my area offers a free informational gastric band and sleeve gastrectomy webinar about twice a month. It lasted close to 2 hours and was extemely informative. After participating in the webinar I decided to schedule a consultation with the surgeon. I am hoping everything goes well. The consultation supposedly lasts about 4 hours and includes education on preoperative requirements, weight loss programs components, support, and an overview of our nutrition guidelines; a review of health history and the risks of surgery; a physical examination; and a review of insurance benefits.

I noticed that you have BCBS. I have Federal BCBS so I am hoping everything will go through alright!

I am also a mommy :thumbup:. I have a little girl who is 2 years old.

Jen, I actually spoke to my principal today and she was very supportive. She said not to worry about the time off that I need. I also asked her not to say anything to anyone about it, and she was fine with that. That surprised me, since she could be a vicious woman! So hopefully she meant it when she said it! I teach 2 grade. I love this grade!! They are just so cute!! So that is exciting that your little guy started kindergarten!! How is he doing with it so far?

LD, so you are just a few days from your consult!! Yeah!!! That sounds like an interesting webinar. There are so many preoperative requirements! I was home this summer and went every week for an appointment! It was a pain, but will be worth it in the end!

Awww, a 2 year old!! How cute! I love the ages of 2-4 years old. Kids are so curious at this age!! They learn and do so much! My guy is 3 and I jsut alugh at hin all the time!! Yesterday he told me I need to pay attention because I apparently confused Diego and Handy Manny. How horrible of me!!

Off to give my son a bath. Enjoy your night ladies!

I really hope everything ends up working out. I have a bmi on the lower side so will need to have qualifying comorbidities in order to get approved. I haven't had a real thorough check-up / physical in so long!

I just got a call from the surgeon's office (that I was meeting with tomorrow for my initial consult) and was informed that the surgeon is out of network so none of his costs would be covered under my insurance plan. Although it really frustrates me that I have had this appointment for over a month and they waited until today to let me know, I am glad that I didn't get stuck with a bill that I would have had to pay out of my pocket! I called my insurance company and got a name of an in-network surgeon, did some research, and now have an appointment with him this Tuesday 9/21!! I am anxious already. I can't imagine how anxious I will be when waiting on approval from my insurance!!

I just wanted to pop in and say hi! I had my lap-band last November, so it is exciting for me to see people who are doing it exactly a year after me!

My life has changed so much in the last (almost) 10 months - most significantly, 115 lbs gone. You guys are in for a wild and wonderful ride! I'd love to answer any questions anyone has...November is a great month to get banded. :unsure:

Best of luck!

I just wanted to pop in and say hi! I had my lap-band® last November, so it is exciting for me to see people who are doing it exactly a year after me!

My life has changed so much in the last (almost) 10 months - most significantly, 115 lbs gone. You guys are in for a wild and wonderful ride! I'd love to answer any questions anyone has...November is a great month to get banded. :wub:

Best of luck!

Thank you for your post and congratulations on your weight loss success! I am still early on in the process so there are so many uncertainties right now. Thank you for offering to answer any questions!!

LD, so sorry your appointment got pushed back!! But you are so right to be lucky to find out now!! Too bad they decided to tell you right before the appointment! You would think they had a month to tell you that!! But as anxious as you are, the 21st is not that far away.

Amy, you are truly an inspiration!! It never occurred to me to think that I could maybe lose that weight a year from now. Good for you! Which shakes did you use pre and post? I am looking into Medifast, and want to try a few before I have to do the liquid diet. I want to make sure I like what I have. I also heard powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury is good too. Also, how long did it take for you to return to work? I am having surgery on a Thursday, and hoping to return to work on Monday. I am a teacher, so there is no lifting involved, just walking up and down stairs a few times in the day. Any info you have for us here would be helpful!

Jenn, how are you??

I go to my consultation with my doctor on October 6, 2010. I am hoping that I can schedule my surgery in November 2010.

weight.png