Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm feeling rather discouraged. I think this website might be part of the problem... I was banded 6/10/10. I've had 2 fills for a total of 5cc. When I went to get my last fill they found my port had flipped. Had to have port revision surgery last Thursday. Evidently the doctor thinks I was too aggressive on the abdominal exercises and that is why my stitches popped. I have only lost 22 pounds so far, have only mild restriction, and just feel like a failure because there are a lot of ppl on this site that have lost like 40 pounds by now... I eat much less than I used to work out more than I ever have in my life and the scale just won't budge. I go for my next fill on Monday. I think I may have even gained a pound since the last appt. I feel like I will NEVER EVER be thin!!!:blushing:

This, too, shall pass. Relax and be positive. I know this is easier said than done, and I just got my band yesterday, so I know nothing about your frustration. I do know that there is a 'bandster hell' board for people in your situation. You are not alone.

Do you have access to a dietician? You might want to review a couple of weeks of food journaling and see if there might be some dietary changes or whether or not your Protein intake is adequate.

take heart. :blushing:

One thing I'm sure you've seen on this site is that fast losers are The Exception.... Not the rule.

Dont compare. There's no point!!

Rach.

Well, just to let you know you are doing better than probably a lot of people on here including me! I have only lost 30 pounds since my surgery date of 2-23-10 so there you go! Cheer up there is always someone doing better or worse so only compete with yourself.

does this port flipping happen to many people? it happened to me and the doctor said that it never happens.....but it sounds like it happens frequently.....how was this resolved for you? my port has flipped twice and i am about to have corrective surgery (again) only this time with the old kind of metal ports and relocated to mid chest just under the breast bone - has anyone ever heard of this?

You can't compare. I am a bit discouraged by my loss:55 lbs. in a year. I see people who were banded in May and have lost that much! Be patient...

it's been a year for me and i've barely lost 40 lbs,pls don't be discouraged,lap band is a tool,but what you find out is it can't do anything about the way you think about food, day by day you will learn give it time you are in the baby stages my friend some of us are slow losers,like me,take it slow, success will be yours!!

I feel the same way you do. My dr. told me that it will take at least 3 fills before you start feeling some restriction. Keep it going don't give up :blushing:

So I'm feeling rather discouraged. I think this website might be part of the problem... I was banded 6/10/10. I've had 2 fills for a total of 5cc. When I went to get my last fill they found my port had flipped. Had to have port revision surgery last Thursday. Evidently the doctor thinks I was too aggressive on the abdominal exercises and that is why my stitches popped. I have only lost 22 pounds so far, have only mild restriction, and just feel like a failure because there are a lot of ppl on this site that have lost like 40 pounds by now... I eat much less than I used to work out more than I ever have in my life and the scale just won't budge. I go for my next fill on Monday. I think I may have even gained a pound since the last appt. I feel like I will NEVER EVER be thin!!!:couch2:

Everyone loses at a different rate. The important thing is you are losing. Just think if you hadn't been banded, you may be up 20 lbs or so. My doctor is very happy with 1-2 lbs loss per week. I have accepted my slow weight loss and consider this a lifestyle change. I know the weight is coming off and I try not to stress about the timing.

Good luck and try to remain positive.

Holy moly---you are hard on yourself! You're losing...what? Around 10 pounds a month, right? That's a really good rate--really good!

Yes, some people lose more in the same time frame. Some lose less. Lots of that has to do with body weight and fat mass---not with whether you're doing things right or wrong.

Look, at the rate you're going, you'll be down over 100 pounds in a year.

Please be gentle with yourself--there is no sense beating yourself up over SUCCESS. Please try to Celebrate it rather than compare.

I don't understand all of this negativity! Look at the positives: You probably (if you're like me) would have GAINED some weight over the last couple of months if you hadn't been banded- but instead you've lost weight!

You should try and be inspired by the success stories on here- not become jealous and frustrated.

Weight loss is as individual as something can be- every person if different so be happy for your accomplishments and try not to compare yourself to others on here.

I totally understand where you are coming from I follow the rules 90% of the time and exercise 110% more than I used to and have only lost less than 50lbs since April.... its tough to see the huge numbers some are posting and to know that you are far behind- but as long as the scale is coming down then it and you are headed in the right direction! At my office there are two people who were banded several years ago a month apart- the slow loser (took 2 years) has kept the weight off- the fast loser is gaining it back....

Thank you so much everyone for your encouraging words!! I've been feeling a bit better today and reading all of your posts made my heart warm and has lifted my spirits!! I just have to remember one day at a time. I know I have a tendency to be VERY hard on myself and that is something else that I have to work on changing. PMS doesn't help either!! lol THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! MWAH!!

I'm a bit baffled, 50lb since April is great, 10lb a month is great, and 55 lb in a year is great!

Look at my avatar photo, so many people say to me, you look great, I hope I can end up looking like you. Well, how fast do you think I lost it? 2 years to lose 100lb. I lost 1lb or less a week. 1lb lost is 1lb lost, no matter how long it takes. I've kept that weight off for almost 3 years now. I couldnt give a fat rats ar*e how long it took to lose it. I was thrilled when every single pound disappeared.

This surgery is not magic and this slow steady weight loss is really a good way to come to terms with it all mentally as the physical changes occur. It can actually be very difficult to become a completely different looking person seemingly overnight.