Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The pre-op diet can be such a difficult time, but you have to keep in mind the prize at the end, which is your band. I remember when I did mine I had such headaches and felt miserable, and like you, felt I was starving. I called my doctor and he approved me to have a baked chicken breast that night. I only ate a little of it, but I felt so much better and was able to do well for the remainder of my pre-op. Best suggestion is to check with your doctor or nutritionist and they should be able to offer you some suggestions to make this phase more comfortable.

The great thing about message boards is you can take what you find to be helpful and supportive and appreciate those that offered you that advice. And, for the rest, you can ignore them, or better yet, block them so you don't have to see any of their future postings.

Have a wonderful Labor Day everyone!

Hard not to be irritable when we're hungry. Cognitive functioning goes too. My family has been running for cover; even my dog doesn't want to be around me now. I am in the liquid only phase--surgery in 2 days. I am trying to be mindful that my emotions are all over the place. God help us all--I'm staying out of public places till this is over. I might assault someone eating an ice cream cone. :)

I am on my liquid diet and my poor boyfriend doesn't know what to do. I have turned into a crazy person..lol I am not starving per say but I miss eating. My boyfriend wanted to be supportive and do the liquid diet with me but of course I knew he wouldn't last..:smile: I don't blame him though, I am only allowing him to make and eat things I do not eat but I am not sure if that is working anymore.. I do not eat red meat and hate steak with a passion but last night I was ready to jump him for that steak lol.

food was my drug of choice and just like any other addiction going through that cold turkey (mmm turkey) phase makes us all go a little loopy :smile:

Hard not to be irritable when we're hungry. Cognitive functioning goes too. My family has been running for cover; even my dog doesn't want to be around me now. I am in the liquid only phase--surgery in 2 days. I am trying to be mindful that my emotions are all over the place. God help us all--I'm staying out of public places till this is over. I might assault someone eating an ice cream cone. :smile:

donnalys - I'll bet you're so excited!!! Only two days; I wish I were going at the same time. I have 23 more days and it seems like forever because I've been on the Protein shake diet now for 5 days already and will be on it until surgery. (That's what I get for not even trying to keep my weight under control these past few years!)

I, too, think it's best not to be around a lot of people right now. For one reason, where groups are -- especially on holidays -- there is food and I'm not up to watching others eat yet. My doc said that it's normally to be crabby during this time as your body is really fighting for food and sending all kinds of mean signals -- like headaches, dizziness, weakness, etc. Plus, it just plain ticks me off to look at someone (like DH) who is sneaking around the corner (so as not to tempt me) to eat the fresh peach cobbler -- not ticked at him, bc he's been disciplined enough to eat right all these years and doesn't have a weight problem, but kinda ticked at peaches and cinnamon and oatmeal!

Oh well, you've made it to your band day and I will too! Just can't wait! I need these next 3 weeks to FLY by! And in the meantime, I'll read all my posts through a second time to make sure I haven't been a crab to some poor hungry soul.

I'll be thinking of you on Wed.; wishing you a speedy recovery and a great adjustment as you become the thin version of yourself!

Debbie

I am on my liquid diet and my poor boyfriend doesn't know what to do. I have turned into a crazy person..lol I am not starving per say but I miss eating. My boyfriend wanted to be supportive and do the liquid diet with me but of course I knew he wouldn't last..:smile: I don't blame him though, I am only allowing him to make and eat things I do not eat but I am not sure if that is working anymore.. I do not eat red meat and hate steak with a passion but last night I was ready to jump him for that steak lol.

food was my drug of choice and just like any other addiction going through that cold turkey (mmm turkey) phase makes us all go a little loopy :)

I feel your pain. my date is 9/21. I told my husband last night we will be divorced or he may be dead before then. I am like some mad person. Don't really think it is because I am hungry, but I thinnk it is the resentment of what he and my teenage son are eating. By the way I am still cooking for them....Mu husband also said he was going to eat and drink only what I could have...that lasted about 5 hours!!!! Good Luck to you hope things go well.

i have nothing to do with africa. why are you posting. be supportive or leave.

No matter what you say, you're still not starving. I went through it too. I went for 2 weeks on Optifast with only 800 calories a day. I knew I wasn't starving though. :thumbup:

Pre-op phase is the worst! You haven't had the surgery, you have no restriction, you might have fear of the unknown. You are most likely grieving for your old eating habits.

No fun. But remember, it is important! You are doing it to give your body its best chance at a speedy surgery and great recovery.

When my surgery was done my surgeon told me he could tell that I had followed the pre-op very well because my liver was small and easy to move around. Hearing him say that made it all worthwhile.

Then during the post-op phase, when I was ready to eat my dog I was so hungry, he let me move on to full liquids several days early because I was doing so well.

The weight you have lost so far is fantastic, use it as motivation to stick to it! But remember, the real reason you are on the pre-op is internal, to allow the liver to shrink and make the surgery safer for you!

I am on another board that has all types of WLS patients, there is a bypass patient there whose liver was in such poor health that it tore while in surgery. THAT can't be a good thing!

Keep your eye on the prize of a banded and healthy you! You can do it!

Jack, you're awesome! Thanks for the insight.

re: "i am following what the menu says but man this is so hard. i am also weak. "

good thing to recognize, and perfect time to reorganize how we look at food, eating, and whether it is our brain or our belly that is going to control us the rest of our lives.

That 'icky feeling' is a physiological shift from our usual 'glyconeogenesis' phase into the 'glycolosis' phase.

Usually our body runs on the basic simple sugars, which along with starch begin digestion in the mouth. As members of the Tribe of the Morbidly Obese, we have trained ourselves to response to the tiny changes in blood sugar levels by becoming alert to the notion we should feel "full' and finding ways to cram ever more sugary and dense carbohydrates in with our eating shovels. I spent most of my adult life worrying about eating enough so I wouldn't become hungry.

And like many, I was taught that 'eat till you are FULL' was the goal.

That is nonsense.

We can never stay 'full'. And we strive to seek 'fullness', when all we really need to learn, is how to feel NOT hungry.

Once we learn the difference between 'hunger' and 'not hunger' we can begin to learn what the difference between 'full' and 'satiety' is.

We have to train ourselves to recognize the more subtle song our bodies sing to us....that of 'satiety'.

We have to learn to eat like the Normos do....eat when hungry and STOP as soon as we are not hungry. That delicate point, like the balance a gymnast has to learn, is SATIETY. Anything we eat past to point of satiety is NOT related to actual HUNGER.

As our body shifts into using the stored cheeseburgers around our waists, the 'glycolosis' phase kicks in. Fat is converted by the liver to energy. At first it is in surges and we fluctuate between anxiety and frustration and hunger and panic and not so subtle shifts in our emotional state.

Lots of Water is essential as it fulfills lots of physiological processes that no other liquid can do. And yes, it does help refocus in the early postOp stages, on that horrid "I'm not FULL" concern. It also helps the liver and gall bladder and colon begin their new life, under the direction of and in service to our BRAINS.

It does work out. Learn some new healthy habits. Focus on goals, and Non scale Victories. Every day you will find new activities not possible in our old preOp lives.

Cheers on your journey.

And another great post!! We all have alot to learn from you, thanks for sharing.

Jack, I love you! You are such an asset here!

No matter what you say, you're still not starving. I went through it too. I went for 2 weeks on Optifast with only 800 calories a day. I knew I wasn't starving though. :)

I doubt she meant it in a literal sense. Feeling like you're starving and actually starving are obviously not one in the same. I would think it was obvious what the word implied in this case.

i have been living off of broth inbetween meals. last week i lost 6 lbs. this week i lost none. kind of depressing. i'll just wait until my operation.

I have been on the pre-up diet for 5 days and lost 6 lbs. the problems is i am so hungry. i am following what the menu says but man this is so hard. i am also weak.

I hear you - on day 3, scheduled for surgery in 1 week. Afraid I might eat the dog.

Husband very supportive but doesn't understand that his normally calm, rational wife is on verge of a physical fit - would definitely steal candy from a baby :blushing:

But down 6 pounds and determined to stay on program

Guest gen259

I know just how you feel. I am officially on the LAST DAY OF MY LIQUID DIET! It was a struggle for me and I cheated twice (strip of grilled chicken and some pepperoni on days 2 and 6 respectively). For me it was not real hunger. The Protein Shakes actually keep me pretty full. It is just the DESIRE I have to eat was so strong in the beginning. In the middle I was craving salt so bad it was insane. Stay focused and the time will fly by! GL.

Heck, I know what she means by starving in this sense. Yes, I am so irritable that I could bite someone's head off and eat it! I have not had any food for 18 days now! Oh, but I do get to have 3 oz. of Carnation Instant Breakfast three times a day which equals about a total 120 calories a day. That was added day 5 post-op; prior was no calorie liquids. I am so hungry that I could probably eat dirt and worms! :( I just keep telling myself I have to endure this for now.

I have been on the pre-up diet for 5 days and lost 6 lbs. the problems is i am so hungry. i am following what the menu says but man this is so hard. i am also weak.

i am starting my pre op diet today,drink alot of Water to help with the hunger pangs.

you can do it:thumbup: