Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I need to be unfilled a little?

Hey guys! I went for my second fill August 12. I've noticed that I am having a very hard time with certain foods. bread and meat seem to get stuck no matter how much I chew. Not even sure if it's stuck...I get a bad pain in my gut and get all phlemmy (sorry!). :thumbup: I can eat about a cup of food otherwise. I'm scared to get unfilled even a little cuz I'm doing pretty good with my weight loss (37 pounds-banded May 13). Is there anything else I can do? I'm not sure if it's something that's just going to take time to get used to or if my band is too tight. Thanks for your time guys! :)

IMHO you are not too tight. If you can eat a cup of other types of food and only have trouble when you eat bread and meat, you are not too tight. Those are at the top of the list for being common banster trouble foods.

I have had trouble with bread and meat all along. When I crave bread I eat a few reduced fat wheat thins. I eat quite a bit of chili for meat/protein. Try some very soft fish like scallops or crab.

I agree, I don't eat bread at all and I drink a Protein Shake in the morning and have moist meat or seafood at dinner. You've done a great job on your weight loss and being able to eat a cup of food at a time is even a lot. So hang in there and work with your band towards a new you.

Same here. bread and meat do not work. I mostly eat seafood now. It really doesn't even bother me to not eat those things anymore.

I had my first fill almost 2 wks ago. I'm the same way...breads and meats are not working well for me. I do notice if I chew them really really good they get lodged a little in the chest area, and then they release and go down. I too can eat a 3/4 to a cup of foods, I'm just watchful of what I choose to eat.

I go for my 2nd fill next week and I'm a little worried it will get worse when eating certain foods.

Dont know about your bad but I am not allowed non ground red meat (beef or pork) until around 6 months so if you are trying red meat that might be the problem. bread is always gonna be a problem I think but toast goes down fine. Love soft pretzels but they don't love me

Thanks for your advice everyone! I found if I eat a very small quantity of red meat in very small pieces with no bread, I do okay. I'm thinking that bread is no longer my friend and will stay away from it. Take care everyone! :smile: Leeanne

Do not get it unfilled unless you can not get liquid down. You really shouldn't be doing bread at this point anyways, try to stay away from the carbs. It is very difficult to give up things we are used to eating, but I clog and torn up throat from having to unclog is much worse that giving up bread. there are other forms of Protein that are much easier to get down than meat. Check the web, you may be surprised. Best of luck.

I have been banded for 20 months. I had one reaction on a fill. I started using motrin the day prior to my fill and two/three days later. I do not eat bread at all. Not even toast. I eat small portions of meat dipped in ranch dressing....I use wheat thins(4 crackers) with lunch meat(no fillers) and cheese for lunch. It has worked for me. Down 102 pounds. I have never unfilled. Good Luck

Do not get it unfilled unless you can not get liquid down. You really shouldn't be doing bread at this point anyways, try to stay away from the carbs. It is very difficult to give up things we are used to eating, but I clog and torn up throat from having to unclog is much worse that giving up bread. there are other forms of Protein that are much easier to get down than meat. Check the web, you may be surprised. Best of luck.

this is a very timely question. i got a fill on Tue, 09/07. i was fine that day. the next day, i could only get teaspoons of warm liquid down. i broke on Sat, 09/11, was able to eat some foods but still nothing cold. meat does not bother me. but nothing cold and still only sips of room temp liquids. i was sliming for a few days but i just slowed down my eating.

i have an appt for a free UNfill; however, I'm wondering if I really should at this point. it's about a 10 hr round trip and $80 in gas to the Fill Center USA.

I have not been able to eat a cup of solid food...3/4 c of cream of wheat. of course, i'm soon hungry.

and get this.....rice krispy treats are the only thing i can eat w/o a problem. but they are empty calories.

can anyone possibly offer any guidance.

TIA

Jillybean- After a fill I always do 24 hrs of liquids, then soft foods for a day-- and my Dr recommends to wait at least 3 days before trying chicken.

I never eat bread, tortillas, rice, or Pasta. I have crackers once in a while, but I keep it to an absolute minimum.

As for meats-- my band is finicky. One day I can eat just about any meat, the next day I may feel slightly tighter and I avoid meats. I eat mostly Beans, eggs, and softer (ground meats) for my Protein.

Chili is one of my favorites. I can eat fillet mingon steak once in a while, but I must cut it small, and I am to the point where I can tell if it's a day I should eat meat or not.

I think over time you'll get more of a sense of what you can eat and what won't work for you. I'd suggest taking small bites, and waiting a minute or two to see how your body reacts to different things. That way you don't get backed up and have a bad PB.

BLKsAunt-

I would wait another day and see how it goes. Maybe have Protein shakes for one day to let your tummy relax. It could be still a bit swollen from the fill.

Then, if you're able to eat soft stuff like cottage cheese, refried Beans, mashed avocado. . .you might end up being just fine.

I had a friend who went to a fill place, and he needed a slight unfill-- they did it for free within a few days. Call them and ask how many days for a free slight unfill.

If you are feeling miserable, go for the unfill.

BLKsAunt-

I would wait another day and see how it goes. Maybe have Protein shakes for one day to let your tummy relax. It could be still a bit swollen from the fill.

Then, if you're able to eat soft stuff like cottage cheese, refried Beans, mashed avocado. . .you might end up being just fine.

I had a friend who went to a fill place, and he needed a slight unfill-- they did it for free within a few days. Call them and ask how many days for a free slight unfill.

If you are feeling miserable, go for the unfill.

Hi ~ thx for the reply. The fill was over a week ago; I can get a free unfill. I'm wondering if I should. I just now have restx since my band, 04/05/10. My biggest concern is not being able to drink cold liquids or eat that much...no where close to a cup.

What are the long adverse affect of being too tight?

Bev -I know exactly what you mean about foods going down easier one day then the next! I still can't get bread down, but as long as I eat meat in tiny portions, I do okay. I can't seem to do pork or chicken as they get stuck. I'm kind of terrified about possible getting the band tighter. My NP told me that eating with the band is actually an art and it takes practice to get used to. I'm starting to learn that if I chew my food REALLY good, most of the time I'm okay. :wub:

Mary- AWESOME job losing 102 pounds! It's ppl like you that keep me motivated! :alien:

I dont think you are to tight because if you where you would not be able to get anything down not even liquid. As far as bread is concerned I have not been able to eat that either. Although I do try it once in a while because I have heard that one day it might not agree with you but the next day it might be better. I do have a problem with chicken that is one of the worst meats for me that gets stuck all the time. But again I do try it every once in a while to see if it has gotten any better. I had my surgery in March and am still gettng use to things. My last fill I had to get taken out because I could not even get liquids down they took all of what they put in out and now I find that I am a little more hungry and if I feel that way I either eat to fast and then I have food get stuck or I don't chew my food enough.

I do have a question though does anyone have a problem eating green vegtables since they had their surgery? Because I have and I find because I can not eat them I have a hard time going to the bathroom. I have tried taking stuff to help me go but that does not always work and if I have not gone I have a hard time eating things tend to get stuck. I love vegetables and am not happy that I can not eat them but if anyone has any suggestions on how to cook them or what vegetables are better I would love to hear it.

Edited by rthogode

I eat all types of green vegetables, but the one I have the most problem with is broccoli. I DEFINATELY cannot eat it raw. I can sometimes eat it if it's cooked really well. It's just too difficult to chew small enough I guess. . .

I also have a problem with carrots (raw), even if I chew them like crazy- I PB them. Bell peppers are tricky too- they must be cooked, or chopped really finely.

I eat the most:

spinach (cooked or raw)

kale (cooked, or blended in a green drink)

zuccini

green Beans (cooked well)

cabbage, onion, bean sprouts (cooked as stir fry w/soy sauce and tofu or just as a side)

eggplant (but I usually peel it, because the peels of some things get stuck)

asparagus, but I must cook well and I cut smaller too

If you want to eat some veggies that are hard to eat, chop them finely in a food processor. I just bought a really small one for $15 at Wal Mart. It's not the best one of course :thumbup: but it gets the job done. I use it for carrots and bell peppers when I make them in stir frys, etc.

Oh- and I eat cucumber, but peeled. Those are my main veggies, hope it helps! I also eat lots of Beans in my diet.

Try having herbal tea- it helps get your digestion moving!