Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cannot tell you how over the last 2 weeks, how much I appreciate reading your experiences. I have attended seminars and support groups but nothing like the openess and honest of this message board.

I have been obese my whole life. Aside from the fact I put one an unwilling 40lbs that has pushed me to 300lb, I don't think I was going to change. I am otherwise healthy but traits in my family like diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension waiting for the opportune time to present themselves. I made the decesion to get banded. It is covered by my insurance and I am eager to make the life long behavior and lifestyle change.

While discussing this with my sister, she stated her only concern is that it is with me forever and my responce is I would need it forever. But she did make me think about it more. If there was a way to perform the same restriction without having to add "something inside of me" forever. I found the sleeve, which I guess is a median between banding and the bypass. My question to all is an my fellow people in the the struggle to get healthy; Why did you choose banding over bypass or the sleeve? Would you make the same choice if presented today?

I thank all who can provide input

I chose the band because bypass and the sleeve scared me too much. Yes, you are adding something to your body, but with the other two surgeries, you are permanently altering your body. I like that if for some reason I have complications with the band, it can be taken out and I am back to how I was before. Of course, I do plan on keeping it in there forever, but I like to keep my options open.

I also liked that the death rates with the band were much lower than the bypass, and also lower than the sleeve. Another thing I didn't like about bypass and the sleeve was that you must take Vitamins for the rest of your life. Of course, as a bandster I should take my Vitamins, and I will. But with bypass, you must. One of the reasons for getting the band for me was because I wanted to get off my diabetes meds, and I didn't want to just have to start taking different meds. Of course, gummy vitamins are much more fun to take than pills anyways, I look forward to it, lol.

I hope that helps, it's a hard decision and I wish you luck.

I did alot of research before choosing which option to go with, but for me the band was definately it. Like Kristy29 said everything inside you is left alone and the band is added, BUT if anything should ever happen it can be removed. Unlike with the sleeve and bypass they cut off and reroute things inside you and that cannot be reversed. It's all a personal decision, but for me I went with my instincts and everything inside me told me to choose the band and I've never had an ounce of regret since my surgery. Just realize with the band the loss can be slower, but I have a friend that had GB and she said there were bandsters in her support group that were loosing faster than the GB and Sleeve patients. Good Luck in whatever decision you make!!:)

For me, the fact that the band is the least invasive and has the shortest recovery time cinched it for me. I have had two major surgeries (one being back surgery) and I was not interested in going under the knife like that AGAIN. Whew! Recovery from those surgeries was tough!

The band can be removed or, at the very least all the Fluid can be easily taken out. I don't predict that I will do either, but if I had to I'm glad that I have the option. Also, I know a number of people that had gastric bypass years ago and are back up to or passed their original weight. With proper restriction it would require a particular brand of self torture to regain your weight once you lose it all. Even if you eat sliders, you'd have to eat day and night to regain -- not that some people could not accomplish this, if it were truly their goal. But, because the band is a "tool", you must "work" with the band in order to lose weight. The work you do changes your relationship with food and that's something that no amount of organ removal can give you. Because, in the end, it's our heads -- not our stomachs -- that make us overeat. I have had food issues my entire life, my sister, on the other hand, has always been thin. It would NEVER occur to her to eat when she is sad, tired, lonely, happy, etc. She eats when she is hungry, and sometimes not even then if she is busy doing something.

My band is priceless to me -- no matter how long it takes me to reach goal weight -- because everyday I learn something new about myself and how I use food in an abnormal way (i.e., for comfort, cure boredom, etc.). The thing is that with my band I cannot overeat, so I have time to think and sit with my feelings. I have learned that it is not the end of the world not to put something in my mouth when I am angry/sad/lonely. That I can face whatever comes without food to sedate me.

For me, without a doubt, the band is the answer. For you ... well, that is for you to decide. All the best to you in your search.

I chose the band because it is less invasive. It can be reversed, while the sleeve cannot. The band does not involve removal or rerouting of my innards :)

I believe sleeving is a good procedure for many. But not for me.

I certainly wouldn't view the sleeve as a median between the band and bypass. Yes you won't have something inside you for life but you will have had a good sized portion of your stomach permanently removed. That is not to say that a sleeve isn't a good option - I believe that there are lots of sleeved people out there who are extremely happy with the procedure. Many of them had been banded previously and had issues with the band.

The band is the only option that is reversible. Not that most of us want it reversed but it is good to know that it can be if there were future issues.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

My band is priceless to me -- no matter how long it takes me to reach goal weight -- because everyday I learn something new about myself and how I use food in an abnormal way (i.e., for comfort, cure boredom, etc.). The thing is that with my band I cannot overeat, so I have time to think and sit with my feelings. I have learned that it is not the end of the world not to put something in my mouth when I am angry/sad/lonely. That I can face whatever comes without food to sedate me.

For me, without a doubt, the band is the answer. For you ... well, that is for you to decide. All the best to you in your search.

This is so true. I haven't even been banded for a week, but I am already having to relearn how to live life without food. For me, my trigger was boredom. Well, since I have been recovering from my surgery, I have been home. I am so bored, I am used to being busy every day. And I am on liquids, so I have to deal with it in ways that do not include food. It's so hard, but I will be proud of myself when I get through this period successfully.