Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Results, No Success

It's true that the right level of adjustment will make a world of difference.

But it's also true that no matter how well-adjusted your band, Haagen-Daz is going to go down just fine.

That means you really MUST start doing the things that support weight loss instead of sabotaging yourself.

Look, you're not where you want to be, fill-wise, yet. And many will tell you that you won't lose until you are.

But it's not true. You CAN choose to make appropriate food decisions and lose weight as you work toward restriction. It's hard, but it can be done.

It's not a decision you have to make, but you're unhappy with your progress now. What would happen if you were to really commit to eating the way you'll need to eat when you do have restriction? What do you have to lose?

Seeing success as you work toward restriction really might be the boost you need.

If nothing else, knock off the self-sabotage with stuff like ice cream. It's great that you stopped with a scoop instead of a pint--but even that is getting in the way of what you want to achieve.

Just because you CAN eat doesn't mean you MUST eat.

You can do it!

Betsy....I love you. I look for you and your comments. I had my first fill last Thursday - and the majority of my time with my surgeon was talking about exactly what you said here. I lost 5 lbs in my bandster hell period up to my first fill (in 3 weeks) and I did it by dieting honestly. I was starving. But I knew that I had to hang in there until the band was "turned on." My doctor spent awhile explaining RESTRICTION - RESTRICTION does not mean that you cannot eat things....It means that you don't get hungry for a long time. I wish people would use this term correctly on this site. The flow thru is RESTRICTED, not our diets. Our diets have to be SELF RESTRICTED. We have to make good choices and we have to take responsiblity for the things we put in our mouths. So if we are unwilling to do some of the work, the band isn't going to pick up the slack.

I am excited with my first fill - got 4ccs and today I ate 2 times and finally feel full for about 5 hours between meals. That is band restriction. Molly restriction was the decision to eat chicken instead of a cupcake :lol:

:):crying:OMG! I really appreciate the outpouring of support. There are so many helpful suggestions here and not all of you said things that I wanted to hear. Many of you said what I need to hear. Like the comment about the ice cream - a weak moment - no doubt, but a helpful comment.

I get 6 free fills with my current doctor, after which I must pay about 350. I will definitely consider finding a new doctor. The flurouscope thingy sounds like a marvelous idea. I'm sure it's costly. Anyway, my doctor was very positive, even though I had gained a total of 6 pounds since March. He says that the realize band works differently than the LAP-BAND® and that most people don't get results until the 4th through 6th fill. He said I just needed to do more cardio.

I got my third fill on Sunday, bringing me to about 10cc. This just doesn't sound right to me, but he told me to do liquids for two days followed by two days of mushies. Well, it's Tuesday and I have a throbbing headache and I'm ready to scarf a pizza. WTH am I supposed to do. It's 2:50 and I just finished my 3rd Protein shake for the day and I'm STARVING. Is this normal? I think if my band were working, I'd feel full after 10 ounces ounces of Protein Shake. Why am I being teased?

Oh well, I guess I should just ignore this headache and annoying tug in my belly and just have what? Another Protein Shake? I want PIZZA!

Darn it, now I'm angry! I don't know what to do. I can't go back til October. I guess I'll drink another Protein shake until I'm no longer hungry?? Argh! Thanks again for all the support.

This is a wonderful place to get help. But I feel like I need a sponser living in my house.

Hun, don't give up! You are NOT a loser! My doc lets us have a fill whenever we need one. As soon as we start getting hungry we can call up and book in for a quick fill the next day. Mine start on Monday, one month post op. Would it be possible for you to find another doctor to do your fills? Who has different policies? It sounds to me like your only problem is that you haven't got any restriction. That's totally normal! Don't give up hope, you will get there.

Hugs to you

I get 6 free fills with my current doctor, after which I must pay about 350. I will definitely consider finding a new doctor. The flurouscope thingy sounds like a marvelous idea. I'm sure it's costly.

Wow, that is a lot of money for a fill! Especially a blind one. I know we live in different parts of the country but I was only paying $250 with flouroscopy. Now I signed a fill contract with them, paid $1000 and I can have as many fills as I want for six months. I can go in every:tongue2: week if I want to.

$350 for a fill it a lot of money! My daughter is self-pay and she pays $150 for a fill. I am lucky because my insurance is covering mine. Again, we live in Indiana, not California - but I would do some shopping around after your 6th fill.

Good luck with your progress. You will get restriction soon and will be happy with your decision to be banded.

I am happy to say that fill number 3 is working YIPEE!! I finally have restriction. I have to really slow down my eating and sip rather than gulp beverages. I love this!!! It hasn't curbed my appetite so much, but that's just me and my emotional hunger. I'll have to tackle that head on! Anyway, I'm excited that it's finally working. I was so afraid that I would never have restriction. It's funny too, because I had my fill on Sunday and I didn't notice a change in my stomach's capacity until Wednesday. I feel a weightloss coming on :) Even if it's two pounds I'll be delighted!

Thanks again everyone for all your support. It really was daunting on my spirit! Oh, and I'll be searching around for fill doctors with a more reasonable price range.

Best Wishes to all!

-sigh of relief-

I completely understand your disappointment, I too am 10days out (w/o fill) and starving! It really is a daily battle to maintain the recommended 3 meals of 3-4 ounces, and I have fallouts daily, but it will get better (based on research) just really has to do with the fills. My doctor too, doesnt fill more than once every 6 weeks. I have two fills with him for free and will definately search another place to fill, as long as I recover from the fills quickly. I dont think others will recommend seeing another doctor, but being here in the Los Angeles area, there are doctors on every corner. I do know a doctor in Glendale, that doesnt have restrictions on the time, but its not under flouro sp? and its around $200, let me know if you need a reference. Hes a good doctor too.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Betsy....I love you. I look for you and your comments. I had my first fill last Thursday - and the majority of my time with my surgeon was talking about exactly what you said here. I lost 5 lbs in my bandster hell period up to my first fill (in 3 weeks) and I did it by dieting honestly. I was starving. But I knew that I had to hang in there until the band was "turned on." My doctor spent awhile explaining RESTRICTION - RESTRICTION does not mean that you cannot eat things....It means that you don't get hungry for a long time. I wish people would use this term correctly on this site. The flow thru is RESTRICTED, not our diets. Our diets have to be SELF RESTRICTED. We have to make good choices and we have to take responsiblity for the things we put in our mouths. So if we are unwilling to do some of the work, the band isn't going to pick up the slack.

I am excited with my first fill - got 4ccs and today I ate 2 times and finally feel full for about 5 hours between meals. That is band restriction. Molly restriction was the decision to eat chicken instead of a cupcake :thumbup:

Molly,

I absolutely love this concept of Band Restriction vs Self Restriction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally have pretty good band restriction but even with that, I have to make choices, many that I do not want to make, because Band Restriction does not restrict cake and Cookies and ice cream and candy and chips, etc. They start digesting in the mouth and slide down so easily! Thus, slider foods!!!

Ravyn,

One thing that has helped me in the toughest times is to eat wafer thin sliced deli meats. They are finger foods, are immediately available without cooking (like Cookies and candy), chew easily and are low fat, almost all Protein. If I start craving sweets, I have an ounce of deli meat and make myself wait a while and the craving gets tamed a bit so I can make a positive choice rather than being overwhelmed by the craving.

I decided early on that "The band is not going to work for me; I have to work the band!" When I look at it that way, it is wonderful tool.

If I am doing the right things, getting restriction is absolutely marvelous. It makes it so much easier. But even with restriction, slider foods will slide right though!

Don't give up hope. Use every day to fine tune your habits bit by bit. It is worth it in the end!

Edited by Froggie D

Lots of good advice and support hear. Many things I needed to hear myself. I want to add that I stalled in my weightloss and my Dr and his staff were wonderful. But I know I need to get bac on the band wagon. The first year is a lot of learning especially when you need to wait to get to proper restriction. I feel like I'm dieting. But after a second fill bringing me up 5ccs I'm excited that I'm finally feeling the restriction. Don't drink too close to meal time and keep up with cardio, stength training is also important. Those are the big culprits hindering me. And like someone mentioned... just because you can eat it, doesn't mean you should.

Please don't give up..i think your doctor is just being cheap! you may want to call your insurance company to ask how many fills will they pay for?? maybe it's a matter of monies rec from your insurance company..i bet if you were paying him cash money you would be able to get a fill every month to six weeks. my doctor give you your first fill at 1 month then 6 weeks later and so forth. hang in there..no not give up