Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Everyone! I'm scheduled to be banded on Wed, Aug 25. My cousins wedding is the following Saturday (Aug 28) and they've asked me to read in church. I've said yes, but am nervous that I won't be feeling up to it. Not to mention that I won't be able to eat anything at the reception... something that I'm sure will seem unusual to my extended family members (who I've chose not to tell that I'm having this procedure done).

How were you all feeling a few days after surgery and do you think that it's unreasonable for me to think I'll be feeling up to doing this so soon pre-op?

Thanks!

Wimic

I think we all react and heal differently.... I think it's possible, yes... I had surgery on the 13th and was back to work on the 16th.... Good luck!

I had surgery on Aug 17, which was a Tuesday, and today (Friday) I didn't even need any pain medication. I did not feel good the first couple of days, but am much better now. You should probably be ok.

Yeah you may be able to do it, but honestly you may feel weak, soar and tired. I was banded on Monday and I definitely feel better today, but healing is progressive. It got better and better each day. Because of the pain medication and the fact that you are not able to eat a lot during the first two weeks, standing up and having to speak on top of not being able to eat will be challenging. I felt extremely tired three days after surgery I was barely able to stand erect because of the pain (not soarness, I want to be clear that it was Pain) in my abdomen, there is no way I could have gone to a wedding. Weddings usually last hours and I probably would have been crying. I guess it's all dependent on how you handle pain, I have ZERO tolerance for pain. I think the pain I felt for this surgery was worse than childbirth. I'm not trying to scare, you I'm trying to be honest. Granted I had a epidural so I couldn't feel anything. Although the pain is initially bad, you heal pretty quickly.

I understand it's your cousin. May you could go and read and then go home if you start feeling sick? That's definitely doable. Just being there for a few hours then going home to rest.

Wow! It's really hard to say. It's a wedding and you should think about how they would feel if you weren't able to make it. I couldn't wear my bra for a week because of the scars and healing. I was hopeful that I'd return to work 3 days later, but that was not my reality. It took me a week to before I could do social events. Just be careful with commiting yourself to something that could really be disappointing to someone if you didn't show up.

Best of Luck and I hope you heal faster than I did ;0

Hey Everyone! I'm scheduled to be banded on Wed, Aug 25. My cousins wedding is the following Saturday (Aug 28) and they've asked me to read in church. I've said yes, but am nervous that I won't be feeling up to it. Not to mention that I won't be able to eat anything at the reception... something that I'm sure will seem unusual to my extended family members (who I've chose not to tell that I'm having this procedure done).

How were you all feeling a few days after surgery and do you think that it's unreasonable for me to think I'll be feeling up to doing this so soon pre-op?

Thanks!

Wimic

'

It is a bit different for everyone but I suspect you will be able to muster up the strength and go to it. you will NOT feel like talking in church and you will probably feel like crap in general. The shoulder pain may be in full swing by then. I had an annoying stomach pain for a week. not bad enough to not be able to sleep or go to work but made me feel very grouchy and dont bother me most of the time.

The not eating thing (and you should only be on Clear liquids anyway), can be explained by saying you haven't felt very good for the last couple days and your stomach is upset. which would not be a lie at all and let them all assume you have some kind of flu or whatever you just have to not correct them.

I applaud your decision to DO SOMETHING about your problem. that is GREAT, just remember it is a process and the banding is just the start.

My biggest issue after surgery was my throat. I had a tube down my throat during the procedure so after surgery I was extremely hoarse. I don't know if others experienced this, but just something to consider since you will be speaking during the ceremony.

But I think you'll probably feel up to it. Good luck in your decision and congrats on being banded!

I was banded on Monday July 19th & went to my cousins wedding shower the following Sat. I was feeling really good but was easily ehausted bcuz was on clear liquid diet. I was only able to stay for about 2 hrs & that was pushing it. I was starting to feel faint after 1 1/2 hrs but pushed it a little to much. I was absolutely drained. Once I got home & rested I felt better.

Hope all goes well for you. Get lots of rest when you get home from the hospital and drink all your liquids walk so you can get rid of the shoulder pain which will be due to gass. Wishing you the best :lol:

I really and truly think you will be fine to read at the service. You might want to have a 'stock answer' ready however, for when others ask why you aren't eating, dancing, drinking, etc.... It was easy for me because I also had a hiatal hernia repair when I had my Lap-Band installed, so I just blamed the hernia repair for everything!

Good luck- I'm sure you'll be fine!

i think it´s fair to warn them, that if you´re not up to it, to please excuse you....that it is something you had not planned.....but if you feel well those days, then go for it and enjoy your day!!!:lol:

As most people have already noted, everyone is different, but there is no way I would have been able to go..I was very sore and was not up to walking around...I would probably err on the cautious side but again, you never know how you will feel after...Good luck and Congrats!

I was banded on Wed (8/18) and I have had a considerable amount of pain in my left abdomen where the port was placed. It is Saturday today and I am still walking/moving slowly. So, I know I would have not been up to doing it. But, everyone is different with the pain. This was my 1st surgery and I now have a new appreciation for it :lol:

I think you should go be a reader. I had my surgery on Tuesday and was singing at a fundraiser on friday. ( I should add I'm also older than most here!) I was tired but took it easy which is what you should do. Sit and visit at the reception. Have a drink with you to sip on. Others have suggested just saying you've had an upset stomach if anyone asks and I think that's a good idea. Maybe I'm odd, but I didn't have shoulder pain, didn't need pain meds after I got home and other than being tired more easily, my recovery wasn't hard. Good luck.

Personally I would have been able to get up and do a reading three days after surgery. I did not have gas pain and I was only on Tylenol. I would wear a comfortable bra and try to avoid nylons (wear knee highs). I would get a lot of rest in the morning and get to the church and sit until the ceremony. I also had no trouble standing but you don't want to push it to much by doing a lot of standing. Bring Ready to Drink Protein Shakes. Again, personally I was not very hungry first couple days.