Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The scale is NOT my friend

Why does the scale have such a hold on me? It is amazing that I don't think about the scale or what it will tell me when I am in the kitchen eating.

I had my band surgery on the 17th. I have been steadily loosing weight, down 23 pounds. Then.... I get up on Sunday morning, get on the scale and I had gained a pound. I cried, I picked a fight with my husband, asked him if he was disappointed in me. I had convinced myself that I had lost my last pound. I was never going to loose another pound. What a psycho....

I am now on a scale fast. My husband has hidden it and when I start to spaz about my weight I will stop and tell myself that my sucess is not measured by some stupid number on a machine that was created in the pits of hell and ask God to give me enough grace to make it through this and ask Him what I can learn from this lapband experience that He has so creatively and graciously blessed me with and realize that I do not have to go through this alone.

I am meeting with a psychologist at my church...yes, they have those. I know that I must heal the inside while I allow that band to help me with the outside. It is no walk in the park somedays.

Sorry, but I had to purge myself of this and my hubby tries but just doesn't get it.

Thanks for listening.

I am now on a scale fast. My husband has hidden it and when I start to spaz about my weight I will stop and tell myself that my sucess is not measured by some stupid number on a machine that was created in the pits of hell and ask God to give me enough grace to make it through this and ask Him what I can learn from this lapband experience that He has so creatively and graciously blessed me with and realize that I do not have to go through this alone.

Purge away, sistah!!!! You got the right idea. Smart, smart, smart, you are!!! Great hubby, great psychologist, great thinking! You are gonna make this work...and the scales WILL show proof, in time.

There is a weekly scale challenge on here somewhere...for folks with the willies when it comes to weighing, and especially for those who are obsessive and let the numbers rule the day. Might be a good idea to search that thread...I love my scale and weigh all the time but I don't tend to spaz, so it's all good. No spazzing!!!! You just got banded!!! You are doing great!

the scale can be your best friend and your worse enemy. Last week I about lost it because the scale WOULD NOT MOVE. I thought like you, that this was it for me. I hit my sweet spot on my fills, and that was it. Well I got my period and boom down 3 lbs, i guess i was just retaining a bit. So my advice is if you want to weigh everyday thats FINE ( i do) but just realise that your body will fluctuate by a pound or two and not take it to heart unless you've stalled for several weeks. IF you've stalled decide if you need a fill, need to reduce calories or start exercising. I just bought a gym membership myself so i can "take it up another notch"

Welcome to the club, Shari Lou. You are by no means psycho - very much normal.

That said, you're a much stronger person than I because I'm a scale addict (weigh once a day, in the morning, after going potty, without fail) and haven't been able to bring myself to hide the scale. It definitely dictates my day, but I've learned that it fluctuates and try not to let it get to me anymore.

Good job on realizing that help/healing on the inside is needed. Its a big step and one that has definitely helped me in this journey.

I REFUSE to go by the scale. I am only going to weigh myself once a week. I DO NOT care what the scale says, I only care how my clothes fit. I was down 13 lbs 4 days after being banded-how can any other weight loss be less than a let down? IF I follow the plan I know it will work-so the scale will not dictate my moods.

Neat idea to hide the scale... Ours was out in the open where I could step on it everyday... Now, I have it in a corner and I am only weighing once a week... on Wednesdays, the day I had my surgery. Weight fluctuates so much in a week for some people... You are not crazy... just completely normal..

no i'm right there with you. I haven't lost since 3 days post op. It makes me MISERABLE. It makes me think that since i'm not losing weight anyway I might as well eat whatever I want. Which in turn makes me MISERABLE. I can't wait until my first fill.

I'm seriously considering throwing ours away. I do not need it, over the long term the weight will come off and I dont want to be agonising over daily fluctuations but I cant help myself, I jump on every morning without fail.

Trouble is my DH is obsessed too and wont want me to get rid of it.

I went through five scale's before I found one that was accurate! many of time's "I" picked that rotten scale up and was ready to throw it through the window many many day's.

but it is a very good tool for weight loss! I have been up 7 to 9 pounds in one day mostly Water weight because I drink a lot of Water plus eating super....you will always be heavyer at night/ jump on that scale first thing in the morning true weight.

If you up a pound then you no that you have to do a little exercising? watch your food intake for aday or too. could just be water weight?

"I" now love my scale it tell's me what I have to do that day to maintain my weight loss. If im up a pound or... two Im not going to get worked up as stress, is not good eather, so don't beat your self up! maybe more liquid's some walking. Good luck God bless.JOHNQ

There's are lots of ways to handle this, all of them good. I have noticed something in my weight loss that no one's mentioned here yet, so I'll put that on the table for ya. I track my weight on fitday.com...then you can see a little graph of your weight loss over time. I have a pattern: drop some weight, gain a little back, hold for a while (maybe even a week, or two), then whoosh some weight comes off. Repeat. My graph, while overall moving steadily downward, has little peaks in it where my weight goes up after it goes down. Now, I just consider the progress "interesting" and don't get emotional about it. It took 3 months to get the idea, and now I'm almost 5 months out from surgery...I like analzying things, so I like to watch the pattern. Probably just me. Do whatever works for you! Cindy

When I was doing Atkins they would say that you should expect a stall at about the 3 week mark. This was because of the fast weight loss and the body needed to catch up. Maybe that's all it is. Your body is saying whoa! what's going on here?

I was an everyday weigher because I was so psyched that I was losing. Now, I barely get on because I'm not doing very well. I'm not banded, hoping to be :) I agree though, the scales really do suck. I let them dictate my mood for the day as well as how I eat. Yeah for those who are putting them away!