Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my biggest concern is insurance

:tt2:So is it odd that of all the things to be nervous about, insurance is my biggest concern? hahaha. I feel very aware and prepared for surgery and the lifestyle changes but concern about insurance approval/denial is making me anxious and I am losing sleep over it. I don't know if my surgeon submitted the request yet, I was told it would be done this week (i think thats what I was told- i should call and ask for verification) but I have a surgery date for September 7th. After all I put forth in this processes for 7 months now, I have decided that if I am not approved, I will pay out of pocket and have the surgery no matter what... I just really hope it doesn't come to that. I would borrow money from family and thats a lot of money to hold over my head. Uhhhh Please Please Please let insurance be approved!

:blushing:

Is anyone self paying? If so, about how much is it?

I know how you feel. That was my main concern as well. Thankfully my primary submitted a great request and insurance approved the procedure. My journey began on may 6th and I am scheduled to be banded on Aug 25th. So don't worry everything will be great and you will get approved!

Will I'm joining the club. My last visit with the surgeon

was on July 19, 2010 that's when I was given the date for

Surgery. I'm also concern about the insurance approving

the surgery.

My question is why would they even give you a surgery date if your not approved yet??? isn't that just getting your hopes up???

it was my biggest worry too so I called all over the place to figure out how much it would end up costing if I needed to pay...

for me at the hospital I'm going to and the surgeon I'm seeing it would have been about $10,000 without insurance.

My insurance did approve and covers 80%, but it's going to be less than my 10K estimate because of the negotiated prices insurance pays... ex- surgeon charges 3200 but Insurance negotiates 1600 so I'd only have to pay about 350...

Good luck!!! Fingers crossed for your approval. I know how miserable I was in the 3 weeks I waited!!!

zeniada, Yes it does, I gust that's the way they do.

But I'm hoping and praying that I'll be approve

I was in the same place you are. Where I'm at it's $12900 cash. We got approved for the full amount through Care Credit but thankfully my insurance approved me.

Just remember if you are denied the first time you still have the right to appeal and you may win your appeal.

Good Luck to you!

I go tomorrow for my consult with the surgeon, and for EKG , H pylori test, and chest Xray. I am told that everything will be sent to Anthem by Monday. Im nervous too. im told that Anthem is super fast!

My question is why would they even give you a surgery date if your not approved yet??? isn't that just getting your hopes up???

Yeah I have no idea why exactly they do it that way but some how it comes down to- they need to schedule people asap because they are crazy busy. My surgeon is pretty popular it seems. Ive told 3 of my other doctors about him and they all seem to know about him and say they hear great things about him. So maybe its because of that.

I did find out yester day that the paper work was submitted to Aetna and its still pending... Should I call and beg! haha. I think I will call early next week to follow up.

I can't remember the exact about because I asked about 7 months ago, but I believe that I was told it would cost around $15,000 with everything. Its a whole lot of money but this is for my life, my future... Can I really put a limit on that? Ive probably spent more money in the past 13 years on diet products, diet programs, diet foods, diet pills, exercise videos, gym memberships, etc... haha

Maxwell- I hope you get good news fast! :)

Spoiltmom- Your surgery is tomorrow right? GOOD LUCK! YAY

My insurance is Aetna and was told they could take up to 30 days for approval but I got mine back within 6 days! But I understand how you are feeling- I was so nervous that they wouldnt approve me and knew that if I was denied surgery wasnt happening- at least for a few years. We just simply couldnt afford to do self-pay right now. When I got the call from my doctors office that I was approved I was so freakin excited!

But I am also surprised at all of the doctors offices scheduling surgery before insurance approval. My doctors office wouldnt even schedule my last visit with the surgeon until insurance approval and all of my pre-op testing was done. Then I met with the doctor THEN they scheduled surgery. Its so wierd how each doctor does things differently.