Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I tell my employer

I am a teacher and I have a new principal she is the second one since February of this year. I don't want to tell her I am getting the lapband since she does not seem like a very understanding person. My students begin August 9 and my surgery is Friday, August 27th I had planned on taking Monday and Tuesday off and returning on the following Wednesday. I have told three of my co-workers whom I trust.

Am I obligated to tell her?

HIPPA will allow you to "not" tell your boss or employer the reason for your time off other than "Proceedure performed by Dr." They legally can't ask you what the procedure is, or why you are getting it. Only how long you'll be off on FMLA.

You don't have to tell anyone if you don't want to. If you told co-workers, they will let the cat out of the bag anyway.

I don't think you are taking enough time off. I hope you are one of the people who bounce back that fast. I was not.

Thanks Murpel.

Hummingbird how much time do you recommend I take off. My family wants me to take two weeks off.

I guess I haven't thought the after part through enough.

I took a week off from my job. I just wasn't able to do any heavy lifting obviously. I felt decent after the 4th or 5th day. U should be ok after a week..ull still be a little sore around incisions and a little bloated but if u just take it easy goin back to work u should be fine with a week off.

I had my surgery done the Thursday before Christmas Eve, so I took off that Thursday through the following Wednesday, then our offices were closed for the holiday the 24th & 25th. Had we been opened on the 24th, I did feel well enough that I could have gone back.

Depending on what, if any, pain medications you may still be on then, will also help determine when you can go back. My pain meds made me pretty loopy, preventing me from driving. But I don't think I would have been at a functioning capacity while on the pain meds. Once I was off them, I was much better mentally.

I'd say a minimum of a week off if you don't have a strenuous job that requires lots of lifting.

Good luck!

Only tell everyone what you feel comfortable telling them. Of course, HR will require the proper documentation, but you don't have to tell you boss.

I took 2 weeks off after surgery. I probably could have gone back after one week, but I was definitely grateful to have that extra week to adjust.

Eyd, thats the thing with this surgery, it requires a lot of after care. I find it easier to get the time off for fills now that my supervisor knows. If something goes wrong or any complications it is much easier to communicate with each other. Just a thought for you.

Thanks Murpel.

Hummingbird how much time do you recommend I take off. My family wants me to take two weeks off.

I went back after 8 days and it was too soon for me. I didn't have a choice. Standing at the counter, then spending a couple of hours at a desk, was rough on my belly. Waistband pressure was a bit much. Personally I should have made it two weeks. It is different for everyone. I'm sure my age had a lot to do with it too.

I am a teacher and I have a new principal she is the second one since February of this year. I don't want to tell her I am getting the LAP-BAND® since she does not seem like a very understanding person. My students begin August 9 and my surgery is Friday, August 27th I had planned on taking Monday and Tuesday off and returning on the following Wednesday. I have told three of my co-workers whom I trust.

Am I obligated to tell her?

As others have said, HIPAA laws protect you. You are not requred to tell anyone about your medical issues. I also work in a school. I had my surgery on a Friday and returned on a Wednesday. As long as most of your teaching is from a desk you should be fine. If you are a gym teacher, then I would suggest 2 weeks. Just tell your boss that you are having a minor procedure done that will require a few days off. If they ask what the procedure is you simply have to say, I'm sorry it's confidential and I'd rather not share.

Thanks Murpel.

If you can take 2 weeks it would be really great. It took me a very long time to recover. It's not that I had much pain, but I was just whipped.

The 3rd and 4th days were the worst for me. I think I'm pretty tough but as Hummingbird said...I was whipped, weak, and tired. Again, it could be my age.

Don't plan on sleeping in a bed either. I had my Sx in MX. The pain meds he gave me was no better than tylenol. On my 3rd fill, my US fill MD made a comment like, Oh yeah, your port is up here. I thought, "where is it ''post to be"? I had more pain from the port than anything.

If you have the PTO, take 2 weeks...don't try to be a hero...make investment in yourself.

I agree ! I went back to work after 8 days and have to have another 2 off after that !

Normally I bounce back very well from accidents or surgeries... not this one! I was incredibly tired and the lack of calories made constant standing & thinking unbearable (I'm a Chef...)

Good luck :)