Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Part 2 feeling even MORE Stupid...

Hello,

Talk about stupid, stupid stupid......

Well I guess dark meat turkey is officially off my list. I had some today for lunch, thought I chewed it more slowly and BAM stuck again. I vomited 4-5 times over a 2 hour period before it dislodged itself. I guess my body is telling me something. I am on liquids for the moment, although I spent the afternoon baking for my sons science class and I did eat several rice crispy treats with no incidence. I am skipping dinner though since I really think I irritated things a little and I dont really want to barf anymore in the near future. Just so no one worries, I am having absolutely no trouble with milk, Water, tea and of course the rice krispy treats went down just fine. And considering I have been on Atkins to get myself on track, I am a little dissapointed that meat is not on the menu tonight.....

I really feel like a total dunce. I normally only eat ground turkey a few times a week or cold cut turkey or turkey breast. Will someone tell me I am not a total imbecile?

Babs in TX

334/180

You are certainly no imbecile, just stubborn and hard headed, there's a big difference. You did it again to try and see if it really was the dark meat that was bothering you and you got your answer. Perhaps if you had waited a few days and babied your stomach with liquids and mushies, you would have had a different outcome. I read your thread yesterday and you really put yourself through a real trauma. You had to have irritated that stoma, so I'm glad to hear that you have decided to steer away from meat for a day or two, just to give your stoma time to calm down and heal.

You are not stupid by any means, you are learning from your mistakes and because of that you will not repeat this for quite some time. I doubt very seriously that you will make this mistake again. You just have to learn things the hard way, which, as I once told my Father, that's the only way to learn, otherwise we would just be little robots or puppets doing everything everyone ever told us. That's not reality, we have to learn for ourselves, and you certainly have, I'm sure.

Cindy

I read your last post and felt for you, even though I'm not banded yet. You really, really must want that dark meat of the turkey to put yourself through that. I hope you have learned your lesson. Maybe by next Thanksgiving turkey will be back on your menu. One step at a time...........

Oh no Babsybaby, you are not an imbicile by any stretch. some times we need to see if it really was the food or the technique...

I thought turkey was going to kill me a few weeks ago, and I tried turkey lunch meat tonight. And I just got done with the dry heaves.

So, no turkey for us! It's the food, and not the technique!

leave the turkey alone -- it's not that good anyways! Stick with the ground turkey and coldcuts to get your turkey fix. Listen to your body and JUST SAY NO to dark meat turkey!

What do you guys think it is about dark meat turkey? It's more moist than white meat, and IMO easier to chew up. A texture thing?

I know - no one knows - but I have to try and figure it out anyway. :)

Hi Doody,

I really appreciate your concern, but I am not a new bandster. I have been banded 2 1/2 years and I have never had trouble with any food really including turkey. Its only recently that my body is developing this aversion to the dark meat. It might just be THIS particular turkey where the dark meat seems to be a little gamier and stringier than I am used to. Thats why I tried the second time because I did not think if I chewed it to all hell that I would have a problem. I think the reason I did is that I still had some swelling in there from the first PB. And considering that I have had so few problems in the last few years with my band and what I am able to eat , it was worth a try. And I did eat Turkey on Thanksgiving with no incident. But it was mostly white meat.... and it was moister.... Oh well, maybe I will have better luck next time.... Ya see? I still willing to try again..... Yeah, I am think headed, but I luvvvvvv turkey.

Babs in TX

334/180170

6/23/03

Betty,

You are absolutely right. Why should I take liability for it when its the stupid turkey's fault? Hey, I was making a wise food choice so whats the deal here? LOL

Now if I was eating a large cheesecake and barfed, I would not expect any sympathy, but I was really hoping everyone would say:

AWWWW, poor Barbara! LOL

Awwww, poor Barbara!!! Left over turkey got me the day after Thanksgiving (my first PB). I was told by one member not to count out a food until it disagrees with you three times - so - ya wanna give it one more go?? Just kidding - enjoy your turkey free time!

Next time make sure it's nice and moist and flavored inside out and get a Butterball. You might have better luck. I'm not banded yet, but I also love turkey, but only the white meat. I hope I will be able to eat it when I'm banded, because I'm sure I'll be trying it again and again. I'm just that stubborn.

Sorry but I have to say I had a Butterball at Thanksgiving and the same thing happened to me. I first tried the white meat, got stuck, so the next day I tried dark meat, got stuck so you know what I gave up. Then I got this brilliant idea to chop up some of the turkey and mix it with mayo. As long as I took in small amounts and chewed up really good it went down fine. I could tell when it was trying to get the golf ball effect so I would just stop and eventually the gurlgling started which for me meant things were going down. I used lots of mayo. Just had to get that turkey fix!!!