Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do I do when in bandster hell?

I was banded July 8th and I'm now on solid foods. I'm following the doctors instructions and I'm eating 3 - 1 cup meals of mostly Protein and documenting how long till I fell hungry again. I'm so hungry! Being summer my doctor is away and its going to be 3 more weeks till I can get my first fill. Do I have to live like this for another 3 weeks?

"Bandster hell" isn't that bad. I think it has been over exaggerated here. Tough it out. It will be ok. Short term hunger won't kill you.

I looked at the 1-cup thing as just a guide for how you should eat once you have restriction. I ate like I was supposed to, just ate as much as I needed to to get full but staying at 1200 calories or less per day. When I went for my first fill, the nurse said that was okay and that I should AIM for 1/2 cup of food per meal, 3 meals per day, etc. If it isn't enough to keep me full, then I know I will eventually need another fill.

I was banded 4/29/10 and "Bandster Hell" seems very hard while you are going through it! I drank a lot of crystal light, ate sugar free Jello and SF pudding. I put frozen fruit in my protien drinks. Hang in there, I promise it does get better:thumbup:

If I eat more than the 1c (staying at 1200 calories a day) does it stretch my pouch, or will it slide right through because I obviously will need a fill. I`m so worried I`m going to stretch it out and ruin everything.

Or should I just have a little snack between meals but keep all intake under a cup. :(

Thanks for the great advice!

Bandster Hell is when I was on a "diet". I did have a little restriction, so I could not eat like I did before being banded. A few weeks on a strict diet was ok. I had done it so many other times in my life. This too will pass and you will get some restriction soon. Just ride it out and put your mind in "diet" mode. Congrats on getting banded and starting the process to change your life for the better!

Thanks Humming Bird. Knowing that I have to diet for a few weeks I can deal with. At least I know what I'm doing. Last night I was so upset and lost, and afraid I'd gain. I feel much better now!

The only time I've truly been hungry was during the 2 weeks of post-surgery, liquids-only diet. Until my first fill, I just did Atkins, pretty much Protein only, and ate until I was full, while still chewing plenty and eating slowly. There were a couple of times where I felt like I overate and was uncomfortable, but I'm certain I haven't stretched or hurt anything because my first fill was only .4 cc and it has given me some good restriction. Hope this helps!

Hi KimmyTX. I am Kimmy in Allen, Texas. I was banded on 07/21 and have lost 18 lbs and am so excited. I see you are newly banded as well. Post op did you have to do the 14 days of liquids before starting on soft foods? Just curious if diff doc's are instructing diff. I rec'vd 3cc fill in surgery and have not been hungry. Belly is growling, but just do the Protein Shakes, Jello and so forth. I am ready however to start on some oatmeal or something just to feel like I am eating. I go back for the first adj in three more weeks. How has your experience been? Any suggestions? I am walking, walking, walking every day...

Hi KimmyTX. I am Kimmy in Allen, Texas. I was banded on 07/21 and have lost 18 lbs and am so excited. I see you are newly banded as well. Post op did you have to do the 14 days of liquids before starting on soft foods? Just curious if diff doc's are instructing diff. I rec'vd 3cc fill in surgery and have not been hungry. Belly is growling, but just do the Protein Shakes, Jello and so forth. I am ready however to start on some oatmeal or something just to feel like I am eating. I go back for the first adj in three more weeks. How has your experience been? Any suggestions? I am walking, walking, walking every day...

Oh, excellent weight loss by the way. Keep it up.

Thanks and nice to meet you! I had to do two weeks of Clear Liquids, which was awful, then one week of full and one week of mushies. When I got to mushies, I started doing Atkins, a diet with which I am VERY familiar and have had much success. I ate eggs, sausage, beef, etc. I tried to stick with that until my first fill this past week but I got really sick of it, plus I plateaued (sp?), so I switched to low calorie. My fill was only .4 cc's, but it was enough to give me more restriction and get my weight loss going again. I walk on the treadmill 3 or 4 times a week but mainly have just been swimming every day.

"Bandster hell" isn't that bad. I think it has been over exaggerated here. Tough it out. It will be ok. Short term hunger won't kill you.

Yah, bandster hell isn't bad at all when you're no longer experiencing it... :rolleyes2:

Like hummingbird said, this period requires you to "diet" to get through it without gaining. Talk to your doc about how much exercise you can get during this period. It will probably only be walking, but now is a good time to at least get that going because exercise is still a crucial part of long term success.

Good luck and stay focused!

Brad

Thank you so much! I feel so much better then I did last night. Now I know exactly what to do. Diet and exercise! Not what I expected to be doing post band but I don't want to gain. Hopefully I find my green zone soon, stay positive and be patient.:rolleyes2:

Do I have to live like this for another 3 weeks?
Sadly, it may take even longer; most people don't approach restriction with the first fill.

It is difficult during this period---but I tried to approach it like any of the forty gazillion other times I'd been hungry on a diet. With one difference: I knew it would be the last time I'd be hungry in the name of weight loss.

It was hard, but I ate as though I had restriction, even when I didn't.

Each fill took the edge off a bit more, and it got easier and easier.

Some people will tell you it's not a time for weight loss, that it's a time for healing. That's perfectly reasonable, if it's the route you want to take.

It's up to you--I liked getting a good head start on the loss. Practicing the new habits made it easier for me to eat carefully once I did have restriction.

But as with everything, there's more than one path to the destination :rolleyes2:

I feel 100% better with all your help. After being banded I had no idea I would need to diet again like this. I thought I would have some restriction. I kind of lost it Friday night and felt so lost.

I am going to eat like I have restriction, so I don't stretch anything and it'll be like practice for later like you suggested Betsy.

I do want to continue losing weight until I find my sweet spot, and it won't be for forever. I'm looking forward to that day.