Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suicidal thoughts with obesity?

Any suicidal thoughts?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Any suicidal thoughts?

• Yes, and i have attempted it.
    • Yes, and I had thought about it in a serious manner.
    • No, never thought seriously about it but the topic did cross my mind
    • No, this is ridiculous.

I couldnt vote no this is ridiculous because I dont think it is. It is such a hopeless, endless disease. I can well understand how people get to that point. You get cancer or something equally tragic and you have people's thoughts, prayers and sympathy, you get morbidly obese and you get people's disgust and disdain.

I've never been so fat as to stand out from a crowd or even to limit me in any way, apart from I'm starting to feel the physical drag of it. I've never been really self conscious or shy and I've always felt relatively attractive. I'm blessed to have grown up in a functional, happy, supportive family and moved into a marriage and my own family that's the same. I've never had a really tragic event in my life. So I'm stable, and happy and very lucky to be so.

I am avoiding reading this thread because it is absolutely chilling to even read the horrid title "Suicidal Thoughts" and it the first thing I see when logging into see the new posts.

I want to thank everyone again for either anonymously voting and/or sharing their stories and thoughts on the topic. I know it is a difficult topic and can be disturbing but I feel that it is important and interesting to learn the who we are/were then and the who we are now. I know that through this thread, I have a renewed sense of amazement and admiration about the struggle with obesity and self esteem. The stories that some of you share are not that of condemnation but that of strength and success that you are still here, still fighting, and still strong. I hope you all know that even in the worst of times, you have an outlet for frustrations in your friends at LBT.

For those that just kept to anonymously voting, thank you. For those of you that viewed but did not vote (about 360 of you) please remember again that NO ONE will see your vote. Please vote, you do not have to explain your vote in a thread if you do not wish to share. You can simply click a bubble and submit.

Thank you again to all of you.

I wrote on this a couple of days ago, and the bars where just about even. NOW, I look back and I see that the NO's are way out in front. Not that this is a race, but who the heck is voting??? I wonder how honest you fatty's are being. Just to make a point.... If you are fat enough to get the LAP-BAN??? Then you where killing yourself a day at a time, suicide on the installment plan. If you are fat enough where it is a question of health and welfare, and you choose to keep eating...... that is not correct behavior or sane thinking and acting. To me is killing yourself with food.

Maybe it's just my simple way of looking at this, and there other ways, but I just don't see them.

Butch

If you think really hard about it, we all took a gamble at suicide by getting banded. We all knew there's a small mortality rate during surgery (as with any anesthesia.) We all put our lives on the line, so isn't that just a little suicidal?

God has put me here on this earth to teach my kidd's to love. and should me how to love. isent life grand from rag's to rich's I am happy just to be here Praise the LORD! JOHNQ

From Rags to Riches...AMEN JohnQ!!!!! Thanks for that. It was beautiful and inspiring.

Fuelman,

500 views on this thread, 85 voted.

I think some people just don't want to believe it is truly anonymous. Some may believe that by admitting it on this poll somehow may make them wierd. Who knows.

I guess I'm most shocked at the number that voted "no this is ridiculous". I mean....there but for the grace of god go I....how can thoughts, seriously scary but very human thoughts be "ridiculous".

I honestly think that for folks for whom this topic is scary or causes them to run that they need to take a look at that fear....and figure out why it resonates so hard with them.

It's all about self awareness.

And I just want to stand up and applaud johnqpublic. That cannot have been easy to share. What a hard story and what a beautiful success you are. You wife is incredibly lucky to have a man such as you. You are very appreciated!!! Bless you!!!!

Fuelman,

500 views on this thread, 85 voted.

I think some people just don't want to believe it is truly anonymous. Some may believe that by admitting it on this poll somehow may make them wierd. Who knows.

Jenna, those numbers are misleading. They are not unique views; that count goes up every time someone looks at this thread, whether they've looked before or not. 500 views does not mean that 500 different people have looked, just that it's been looked at 500 times. I'm responsible for many of those views all by myself.

I don't mean this to sound flippant, but I am more ashamed of committing suicide and having those who found me think my house was messy. Sooo...until I get around to really doing a deep clean, I guess I'll stay alive!

I wrote on this a couple of days ago, and the bars where just about even. NOW, I look back and I see that the NO's are way out in front. Not that this is a race, but who the heck is voting??? I wonder how honest you fatty's are being. Just to make a point.... If you are fat enough to get the LAP-BAN??? Then you where killing yourself a day at a time, suicide on the installment plan. If you are fat enough where it is a question of health and welfare, and you choose to keep eating...... that is not correct behavior or sane thinking and acting. To me is killing yourself with food.

Maybe it's just my simple way of looking at this, and there other ways, but I just don't see them.

Butch

Hey Butch! very interesting and I hadn't thought of it this way, not really. For my DH, yes, definataly yes, but he reached 600 pounds. But not for me.

I guess part of the reason I never thought of it this was is that most of my weight has been because of medications, steroids through out my entire life. I am wonderful at maintaining a certian weight, but once I get put on steroids, BAM! I gain more weight. It isn't a matter of putting the fork down and backing away from the table for me.

I'll have to think about this some more. Thanks for the thoughts.

I have been through a lot of stuff trying to lose weight, (Just Like Most of you guy's). And one of them was going to a eating Disorder Hospital in Orlando, the name of the place was Orlando General Hospital. It was there I learned just how badly we fat people are trying to kill our self's with food. It's not an overt thing it more covert in nature, but killing our self's we are. I think it is good to look at this disease honestly and don't pull any punches, I know how hard it is to address this aspect of our disease, but it is necessary in order to recover (with the help of the Lap-Ban). I would image there are some who have medical problems, but if we are fat enough to get surgery to combat overeating, then there must be quite a problem.

As for me, there was no doubt about it, I was killing myself a day at a time. With a top weight of a whopping 600 lbs. who the heck was I kidding. In the last 20 years I have lost over 1500 lbs but never keep it off longer then a week without starting to go right back up. I am so overjoyed at this weight loss I am doing now with the Lap-Ban, and it is a great tool in order to keep me right on track. Even though I am not losing right now (because I need a fill), but I can't gain any more because of the Ban, thank God. I see myself as an ...................... "Enlighten Fat Person".