Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me this is not normal!!!

I went home the same evening had some sorness but that was it my abdomen felt like when u do abd exer. that was it went back to work 3 days post op. the pain med they gave me kept me up all night I even slept better without pain med. Some people have harder times than other everyone is different just keep positive attiude and get up and out of bed as soon as u can and walk walk burp walk walk and burp . You will do fine:thumbup:

I am a big whimp and was sure that I would be in pain. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and was back to work on Friday. I am sure that I could have gone back on Wednesday but I took an extra day. I do work from home so that may have been a factor in the ease of going back to work. They sent me home with Vicodin and also a refill for vicodinn, I never took any pain meds and other than the pressure in my left shoulder, I was fine.

You will be so glad that you did it. I was banded on 6/15, had my first fill 7/23 and feel great.

I was banded on the 6th of July. Trust me; there is no pain that I can mention. The vomiting is because of the anthestia, and it is normal. Did not experience any bleeding. Good Luck

I also had never had surgery before so I was a little worried but really was an easy experience. I did take pain meds on and off for the first week (mainly to help sleep at night). I never even filled the prescription for the anti-nausea meds.

I can't say I had any real pain but some definite discomfort at incision sites the first week. I went back to work after one week with no problem.

Good luck!

As far as your return to work and pain, you will be fine. The biggest problem is the fatigue.

I had surgery on May 13 and was out of work from Thursday to Tuesday. I went back a day earlier than planned due to the lack of pain. I was sent home with Percocet and only took 2, one each night after returning home just to be sure to get some sleep. The day I came home I went to sister in laws to get ready for son's birthday party and then Sat. went to the party and spent the whole day. Would not recommend this, as I was extremely tired, but that was all no real pain. Some discomfort getting up and down but I was back driving by Monday. The gas pain was rough in the hospital but walking did wonders and not being able to move in the hosp bed didn't help. Since my surgery my sister-in-law and her uncle have had surgery and have done excellent. My SNL doesn't do pain well and she made it, so I'm sure you will do great and it is so worth it!:bolt:

i was banded on june 28th and was shocked at how little pain i had. i was uncomfortable in the hospital , but pain was never bad enough to ask for meds. left hospital same day as surgery and did take pain meds that nite because i wanted to sleep. never needed meds after that. gas pains were bad on the 2nd day, but i used gas x and walked around my house ALOT. on wed i felt good enough to take a short walk around my neighborhood and that really got rid of the gas pains. i just had liquids 3 days prior to surgery and i think that helped with the quick recovery as well. i stayed home from work for a week, but i probably could have gone back sooner. i was soooooooo bored by thursday! anyway, i was also a nervous wreck before the surgery but it all turned out extremely well. good luck!

I am on day 6 post op and I continue to have pain in my left side. I know that is where the port is but surely it should have settled down by now. Have called the Dr. office this morn for a few more days of med, said usually people are just down to taking tylenol...but I can assure them that is not working for me. No other probs other then I have to hold that left side anytime I am doing or going anywhere...ick

Gotta tell ya, I was miserable the first month.... short story is... I went back to work after 8 days, too soon for me. While I was slow and still in pain (waist band caused pressure on port site, which was most painful), but was finally starting to feel myself again at about two weeks.... when.... I dropped my keys in the parking lot. Instead of bending sideways, I folded over at the waist and felt something "move". While it was mildly painful, I thought I had ripped my port lose. I was again in pain. I called the Dr. the next day, (over 90 miles away or I'd have gone there) who said to watch for swelling or excessive pain. I waited another two or three weeks till my first fill before finding that everything was fine. I was :thumbup:pain free by then.

I was told that everyone is different and will heal at a different rate. They told me that there are those who are uncomfortable for up to two months after surgery. Yes I can still feel my port when I turn a certain way and what I think is the band when I bend a certain way, but no pain to speak of. All worth it.

No worries, just walk, walk walk and take the gas x. You won't feel like getting out of the bed for a few hours but just think how good you will feel once you do. Mind over matter! You can do it girl! Keep positive! You can do it! I"m here if you need anything! This website and these people were great when I first had my surgery!

Thanks everyone for your posts...I loved reading them all and it did help me, I like to hear that there are so many positive experiences and only a few painful ones!!! Hopefully mine will be the same! only 3 days till surgery!

Had surg of Friday and went back to work on Tuesday....only because Monday was a holiday. Could have gone back on Monday. I'm 31. No problem's. Some pain, but not anything terrible.

The pain is definitely manageable! Just remember- everyone is different- it sounds like your friend had a rough time, but that doesn't mean you will. Just take it easy for a few days, follow your post-op diet and most likely you'll be just fine.

Every person will have a different reaction depending on our surgeon, procedure(s), pain tolerance, experience with anesthesia........

I was in pain for a few days. Day 1 about a 6, by day 4 a 2. I started walking short distances day 1, literally holding my belly. I took prescription meds Day 1 and then liquid tylenol twice after that.

I'm almost 9 weeks out. I weigh less today than I've weighed in 3 years. I have more energy, self-confidence and joy than I've had in 5 years. My sugars, cholesterol and blood pressure are within normal range. None of that would have transpired without having the surgery. The band didn't do those things, my adjusting my lifestyle to have the surgery did. My permanent healthy lifestyle transition will add years to my life.

I remember crying to someone when I got home 4 hours after surgery that I wish I would never have done it. The next day it was I wish I would have done it sooner. That is my only, only regret.

Best wishes to you on whatever decision you make.

Had my surgery Friday, July 23rd, came home same day, pain wasn't too bad it was just so hard getting up and down. I had a hernia that had to be repaired so I have three small cuts and one 2-inch cut for the port, that one is the worst. Lying on my side is tough but I can do it. I'm only taking the pain meds at night so that I can get a good night rest.

Walking around the house during the day I feel stiff around the port cut and it seems to be a little swollen but not red or hot like an infection. I've planned to go back to work tomorrow (Wednesday) but my husband and mother think I should take one more day. I'm a bank teller and I'm very short so my concern is how am I going to get on and off of my teller stool, it is much taller than me. I still nap a couple of times during the day since the surgery and I'm not sure if my energy level is ready for work.