Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me this is not normal!!!

Ok, so Im scheduled for surgery next Friday the 30th and a know a couple people who have had the surgery and they have had a good experience with surgery and Iv been trying to stay positive but today I spoke to an aquaintance who had the surgery 2 weeks ago and she had a horrible experience with ALOT of pain...she said that she woke up out of anthestia and could barly breath and she was in recovery for 6 hours being put on pain meds every 30 minutes..and she had EXTREME pain and ended up off work for 2 weeks (i am only off for 5 days). She said she had so much gas pain that it even hurt to walk..she had blood coming from her incisions and that she was even vomiting from the pain...she had to go back to the hospital because of the pain and bleeding. So this of course freaked me out and Im so scared Im going to have a bad experience like this..I know there will be pain but is this rare occurance?? and are a majority not this way??:) Please help calm me down!!!

I can tell you that I had absolutely ZERO pain. Ever. Of course they give you anesthesia and narcotics in the hospital. And once home, I took the prescription painkiller for one day. And I slept in a recliner at first, just in case. But I never had any pain. There was minimal discomfort from gas pressure, in my shoulder and neck, which was alleviated well with a heating pad.

But everybody is different. From what I read, many people rate their pain level at 3 or 4, on a scale of one to 10.

I was very, very afraid of having surgery. But it was no problem at all. I did have a fair amount of nausea for about a week, but that went away as soon as the swelling from surgery went down.

Good luck to you.

It is not that painful. I was only in a lot of pain after the surgery because I had a hernia and they removed it so I stayed an extra day in the hospital. I can say I had pain for about five days and tried to return to work on the sixth day. I dont think you are going to regain your strength back in five days at least give it two weeks. I returned to work on the second week and I was feeling just fine. But everyones body is different you probably can return to work after five days. Good luck and congratulations on your journey.:)

Thanks guys! I think Im just spazing cause I talked to her just a couple hours ago and I think my nerves are getting the best of me. Iv never been under before or had any surgery before so its that unknown territory that Im treading in and Im realizing that im so close now!!:)

I had my surgery on on July 7th and I am feeling really good. I did take 2 weeks off of work which I would recommend. I was not ready to go back in 5 days. The only discomfort I had was from the gas they put inside you, but that was it. The first day was the worst and I would rate the pain around a 7, because the pain was in my back and I couldn't get comfortable (plus im a little bit of a wimp). I walked ALOT and the gas pain started to go away. I was just really tired and drained, but that was it The hardest part for me is that fact that you are on a liquid diet for awhile. I started to get really hungry and that was for hard for me emotionally. I think you will do just fine!!! Stay strong and focused!!! :)

I felt like I was hit by a truck. But the pain meds helped.

Personally, I wish someone would have told me there was the possibility of it being painful. I had heard it was a very easy surgery. :)

I had very little pain at my incision site, but I did have some significant discomfort from the "gas" pain in my left shoulder. It was manageable with tylenol, though I did take the hydrocodone for the first few days. I was off that during the day within 2 days - but still took a dose at bedtime, and off it completely within 5. I continued to take plain tylenol (junior chewables) for another week or so for the shoulder pain when needed.

I think it took about 2 weeks for the shoulder pain to go away completely. It wasn't incapacitating, though. I was walking around my neighborhood in the mornings starting day 2. And I was driving on day 3 -- though driving definitely made the shoulder pain worse at the beginning. I'm a stay/work-at-home mom, so I can't say anything about going back to work out of the home, but I certainly was back on mom duties within the first week! heheh

I had very little pain, I had surgery on Tuesday and went back to work on Thursday. I had surgery in Dallas at 8:30 am and started the ride home (a 2 hour drive) at 11:30. It wasn't really a big deal.

Nicole,

I am having surgery on the 29th of this month. That pretty much makes us band buddies :smile2:

And just to calm you down, I will post on here after my surgery Thursday and let you know how it went for me. Maybe that will help you out a little.

<---nervous too.

Michael

I was banded on June 3rd. I had little to no pain, no gas pain, and all went smoothly. In spite of all of that, I took 3 weeks off from work, because that's what my medical leave of absence (sort term disability) allowed, and I pay for it weekly.

I'm glad I did, because I was completely healthy and stress free when I returned to a very stressful job.

Everyone's experience is different, and I think what your friend experienced was out of the norm.

Hi:

I got band #2 on 7/20. I had minimal pain the first two days and have just been uncomfortable since then. I haven't taken prescription strength pain relievers since day #2 and then it was just to help me fall asleep.

I don't think that pain was the issue with both of my banding experiences. It's the damn energy thing. I don't know if it's the anesthesia or the low calorie intake, but I am totally feeling like a dish rag, and then on top of it I'm getting a head cold.

I'm going back to work tomorrow (day #6 post op) and am hoping to make it a full day.

Best wishes to you newbie. Let me tell you, if it was bad I wouldn't have done it twice!

Sue

mine was painful.

im not sure how everyone had such a smooth experience but i had mine on wednesday and im finally feeling a bit better today, its sunday. there was a lot of gas, the wounds did hurt a bit and the tylenol takes affect so fast i felt like i was high or something. hopefully it gets better but my experience wasnt as pleasant as everyone else seems to have had.

I had the band last Tuesday. I did however have alot of free air gases in my chest but nothing a little lying down could help. Everytime I got pressure I would lie on that side for about 30 minutes and it would go away. I am day 6 post op and all the gas is gone so I am functuing as normal. I only have 2 insisons. One in belly button and one 1/4 inch on my right side. My husaband is is 2 months post op and had 5 incisions and had no problem with free air. He was good as new in a week!Hang in there!

I had my surgery on a Wednesday, took pain meds 1 day and went to liquid Tylenol. I had some soreness and so left shoulder pain, but that eased in a few days. I went back to work on Monday and worked a 5 day week. Had some tiredness and it was two weeks before I really felt normal again.

Overall, it was a very easy experience. I am almost 4 months out and have lost a total of 58.8 pounds including pre op - 35.8 since surgery. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Best thing I ever did for myself! I am off my diabetes meds, reduced my high blood pressure meds, back pain gone, not taking Ibuprophen at all (used to take constantly for knees, hips, feet, etc), getting my C-pap machine retitrated this week because it is too strong for me, and have gone from a 2x to a 16 in clothes. It was worth every bit of the little pain I experienced!

I love my band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

I am on day six post-op. Don't worry, pain is relative to perception and procedure. If the people you know of had a great amount of pain it can be related to their thresold of pain tolerance or the procedure they had. Lapbanders sometimes go in for the band and end up with upgrades. Good surgeons will help you out by fixing potential problems or present problems. My buddy had a diaphragm hernia or tear repaired during his lapband procedure, he claimed to be in severe pain even with pain meds. I got my lap put on and that is it. I stuck with meds every 6, 20mls of Lortab. My nurse post-op forgot to give me pain meds after surgery and the pain was tolerable. Ask for pain meds! Don't wait to be in pain. Ask for it every time it is allowable.