Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do we have different calories

I don't understand why some Dr's say like 1200 or 1500 calories and like my Dr told me between (or I should say the nut)600-800 and low carb and journal everything. I know writting everything down helps me alot...I just don't understand the difference in calorie count. I'm only 5 feet two and realize someone much taller would need more but there is some women on here getting more colories. I'm trying to keep mine under 800 or less with exercising helping me reach that goal. I've had one fill and had surgery on June17th. Any replies greatly appreciated

rpm2010:unsure:

No clue, mine is only concerned with portion size - no calorie counting at all.

I also don't count calories!! I just eat Protein first then some vegs if there is room. Two planned Snacks and that is it!!! You should do what feels comfortable unless you can not lose weight.... Your body type may mean something more to your nut than it does to you, you should ask them that question... Hugs!!!

For a zillion reasons.

Doctors are just people, they have their own beliefs, beliefs which you may or may not agree with. Things like starvation mode, low carb theories etc, just like the general public some doctors believe some things, some others. Our lapband docs are primarily surgeons dont fortet, their speciality is doing what they do inside you, not in the science of human nutrition.

Doctors will have a track record of how they've gotten good results and might like to stick with that.

Some doctors are in this for altruistic reasons, some are in it becuase bariatric surgery is a money spinner. Some of them are useless at understanding what an obese person goes through and think weight loss is as simple as "I tell you what to eat, you eat it, you lose weight" and others know its a complex mental and emotional process.

I would probably believe a doctor who told me I needed a surgery, but on a lot of issues I take what my doctor says into account (not just my lapband doctor) and weigh it against my own beliefs and opinions before I take it on board. Many many times for example I've elected NOT to take the medication my doctor recommens, becuase I prefer to let my body fight an infection if its just a flu, bronchitis, ear infection etc. I never used the amounts of cortisone cream the doctor recommended for both my baby boys who suffered eczema because it is MY personal belief that you shouldnt use that stuff just because a patch of eczema is unsightly, I would only use it when its painful and risking becoming infected. My doctor never agreed with me on that!

I found my own way with calorie levels and diet and that sort of stuff becuase its my life, I have to live it and lets face it, you know if what you're doing is working or not based on your weight loss.

My doctor didn't give me a calorie count either, and I'm by no means a medical professional, but 600-800 calories seems very low. I would think that by not eating enough calories you're actually hindering the weight loss process. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but I've heard that the body goes into "survival mode" and your metabolism slows down when you eat less than 1000-1200 calories a day.

I would tend to think that as long as the calories you consume at the end of the week is less than the amount of calories you've burned, you'll lose weight.

Thanks everyone for your replies....guess I'll figure it out with my own body and yes I will talk to my family Dr as well

rpm2010

My instructions were just not to eat longer than 20 minutes and only 3 meals per day (no snacks). I'm so glad I wasn't given a low calorie count to try to adhere to. Especially during the beginning when you have no restriction. I don't understand why there is a need to go through 'bandster hell' at all. Why not just taper down your eating naturally as your band is tightened?

Anyway, I know there are a ton of people on here who will say just do what your doctor says no matter what. But, I would seriously question a calorie count as low as 600-800 calories per day. I mean its one thing if you just have that level of restriction and that's all you want to honestly eat. But, to put that pressure on yourself seems silly.

My doctor, too - has said nothing about calories. It's all about portion size.

In general, my doctor is not concerned with calories. He's more concerned with way of eating; his plan does come out, with the choices I make within its context, to be around 800 calories. It could come out higher, if I made different choices.

I stick in this range because I identified (by journaling over a long time before surgery) that I need to be in this range--to lose and, when I am at "normal" weight (where I have been before), to maintain.

It's the reason why I got banded in the first place!

Proteins, veggies, Portion Control, smart eating and nothing about calories (except not to worry about calories) is what my dr. suggests.

we're working on a life style for life so i eat kinda what i want just not much of it. i stay satisfied and have very little cravings.

banded 1/10, loss of 60 lbs, 30 more to go and my drs. advice seems to work for me.

your results may/will vary.

good luck on the banded journey, this is a great place for ideas and encouragement......visit often.

You might want to find a dietition in your community to visit with. I finally found a really good one (it took me seeing a really bad one 2 times) and I'm eating 1100 to 1200 calories a day, with out the band. My surgery is at the end of August and I need to lose a few pounds. She was informative, supportive, positive, encouraging and very kind. I'm blessed to have found her.

I was eating 900-1100 calories, but that doesnt work for me, I now try eating 1300-1500, and I have already dropped a couple pounds in a few days. My body gets use to things very quickly and I have realized that I need to change things up to keep the pounds coming off. Personally my doctor never told me to eat a certain amount of calories and I am glad he didnt because I wouldnt want to live my life on 800 calories that a lot of doctors seem to think is a good amount!