Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Habits - Be Honest.

I'm interested to know about people's eating habits; especially those who are banded and not losing weight.

I am an over eater. I eat healthy food for the most part. I snack on Healthy choice fudge bars, Dannon "light and fit" yogurt, Sandwich Thins with natural Peanut Butter, sardines on crackers with mustard, air popped popcorn with some melted Promise spread and the like. I eat tuna with Hellman's canola Mayonnaise, lean turkey breast sandwiches and a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breast. Only occasionally do I eat bad stuff but not too often. I almost never eat fast food, I simply eat way too much.

But, I'm wondering. Do some of you who are banded just eat a lot of junk food? Why if your food intake is so limited are you not losing weight? Do you sit with a quart of Ben & Jerry's and just take your time with it until it's gone? Do you replace all your meals with chocolate, cake or potato chips?

I'm not trying to insult anyone. I just want to know why people fail with the band and whether or not I might be one of them. I guess I just don't get how someone with a 4oz stomach can fail to lose weight and I'd like to know.

here are a few reasons why people fail with the band...

slider foods

constant grazing

poor food choices (not enough Protein, too much fat/sugar)

not listening to the body's signals that they are "full"

poor restriction from fills/lack of fills

There are a million different reasons why people fail. The band can't and won't do the work for you. You still have to exercise self-control, good food choices, etc.

I am an over eater. I eat healthy food for the most part. I snack on Healthy choice fudge bars, Dannon "light and fit" yogurt, Sandwich Thins with natural Peanut Butter, sardines on crackers with mustard, air popped popcorn with some melted Promise spread and the like. I eat tuna with Hellman's canola Mayonnaise, lean turkey breast sandwiches and a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breast. Only occasionally do I eat bad stuff but not too often. I almost never eat fast food, I simply eat way too much.

It comes down to calories in - calories out. If you eat more than you expend you will gain or not lose weight.

You also have to remember that just because something has the word healthy in it's name it doesn't mean it is.

Snacking is something that you need to try and get away from. Ideally with a band we should be able to eat 3 small meals a day and be satisfied.Many of us can't manage that so we do snack, however the trick is to plan your Snacks, make sure that they consist of healthy food that is full of Vitamins,nutrients and include them in your total calories for the day.CONSTANT snacking is a definite No NO.

I think you also need to examine the reasons you are eating. Is it because you are hungry or is it because you are stressed,bored, emotional etc etc. We need to find ways of dealing with non hungry eating as that is the type of eating that sabotages weight loss.

In answer to your question about eating habits yes I snack. I try not to do it constantly and I try to make healthy choices - a nut bar,yogurt,tin of tuna,fruit etc. I am no longer actively trying to lose weight as I am at goal so I am a bit more lax than if I was still trying to lose.The rest of my diet consists of healthy food. healthy because it is processedby me from fresh ingedients not because it is in a box in a supermarket and has the word healthy on it!

If you are really struggling with non hungry eating you may benefit from seeing a food pshycologist.

I am a grazer and that bothers me. I do eat when board and like I said, it's as if my body wants something that I can't figure out and I keep eating to try to satisfy the craving. High fat and calorie foods tends to do the trick but I avoid it.

I do know what is healthy and what isn't. I studied nutrition in college and have been a fitness buff all my life. Finally seeing abs is one of my great wishes in life.

Anyway, I do worry that my tendency toward constant grazing might defeat the band. But if I can only eat 4oz every few hours, I fail to see how it is even possible unless I just eat ice cream or sip butter all day.

A while back I got down to 235 doing the South Beach Diet but as soon as I went off phase 1 I gained it back plus another 30lbs. Staying on phase 1 forever doesn't work though. But sugar free Jello is a good nervous food.

I have learned that when I am NOT logging my food I eat about 1500 cal a day... I do not gain but I do not lose.... If I am logging I eat 1100 cal a day and I lose... then I go back to my 1500 I maintain. I do my best NOT to eat processed foods. I do my best to keep a couple of servings of Protein Powder in my back for those just in case days.

Oh and I eat greek yogurt not yoplait or any of those... I need the enzymes.

I have learned that when I am NOT logging my food I eat about 1500 cal a day... I do not gain but I do not lose.... If I am logging I eat 1100 cal a day and I lose... then I go back to my 1500 I maintain. I do my best NOT to eat processed foods. I do my best to keep a couple of servings of Protein powder in my back for those just in case days.

Oh and I eat greek yogurt not yoplait or any of those... I need the enzymes.

I think 1500 calories is quite low. Average is like 2000 or 2500 if I'm not mistaken.

I guess that's why we are fat. Stupid metabolism.

It's about understanding and applying the energy balance - plain and simple.... Everything else (snacking, slider foods, grazing, alcohol, blah, blah, blah) is a side show...

As I sit here typing while eating peanut M and M's... :tt2:

Brad

I think 1500 calories is quite low. Average is like 2000 or 2500 if I'm not mistaken.
If you're not losing, you might need to rethink this.

It'd be a great idea to journal what you're eating. See how many calories you're taking in, and watch as you pare down to see at what level you lose.

I eat healthy food for the most part. I snack on Healthy choice fudge bars, Dannon "light and fit" yogurt,
While there's nothing inherently bad about these foods, they are not particularly "healthy." They are relatively low in nutrients, and are sliders, so they provide little satiety.

Since what you are doing is not working, it might be time to rethink your concepts of healthy and instead focus on what works best with your band to keep you satisfied.

I've tried to figure out why I am such a slow loser. My metabolism must just be very sluggish. I eat between 500 and 1000 cal per day and lose a pound a week if I'm lucky. I don't have much energy on so little, but I do keep moving and I walk every day.

I've tried to figure out why I am such a slow loser. My metabolism must just be very sluggish. I eat between 500 and 1000 cal per day and lose a pound a week if I'm lucky. I don't have much energy on so little, but I do keep moving and I walk every day.

Try eating more for 2 weeks, see if that helps.

Yeah, 500-1000 cal/day is pretty low and will slow your metabolism. Try to stick to 1200-1500/day.

Edub, 1500 is actually a good number for most people. It's definitely okay if you're going to eat 2000-2500, but you need to work off the excess calories. :thumbup:

Yeah, 500-1000 cal/day is pretty low and will slow your metabolism. Try to stick to 1200-1500/day.

Edub, 1500 is actually a good number for most people. It's definitely okay if you're going to eat 2000-2500, but you need to work off the excess calories. :thumbup:

1500 is a good number for me , as I do not work out. I have become a massage therapist and burn calories doing that some times I come out of a session feeling like I could eat someones leg off... those days i adjust my calories accordingly... If I want to lose I can not go above 1100 . 1500 is a great maintaining # for ME.

This is highly individual. Some people lose well at 1200-1500. Others lose well at 1800. Others (like me) lose well at 800-1000, and maintain or gain when more calories are eaten.

That's where journaling comes in. You can find out, over time, what works for you.

The band doesnt stop the bad ice cream and poor food selection. Ive eaten bad many times. Slow loser on count of it. Its just a tool to help. I know now that my diet and my meaning my intervention and self discipline still has to be a part of this.

Yeah Ive sat and eat all the bad foods. Blizzards, pizza, on and on.

For the last 2 months Ive gotten involved in a huge group from work that they paid for. Dietitians, trainers, weigh ins. Lost 16 Lbs in 6 weeks. Just the diet and exercise!