Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you tell your employer & co-workers?

I am in the final stages of getting approved and I was curious how much you shared with your employer / co-workers?

I really don't feel like sharing with the world that I am undergoing an optional surgery - but then again I don't want to end up like Star Jones.

I don't have a problem telling my friends and family...but I am such an open person that I will feel like I am lying.

What did you do and how was it taken?

You don't have to tell anyone you're having surgery. I only told one of my coworkers because she's like a mom to me. I told my supervisor because I wanted her to know why I've had so many doctor's appointments recently. My bosses don't know and none of my other coworkers know. I don't think they need to know. If you're not comfortable talking about it, you don't have to.

When were you banded? How have you explained your weight loss?

Thx for responding :grouphug:

Only tell everyone as much as you are comfortable sharing. I told my boss and the co-workers that I am close to. My boss told EVERYONE else.

When were you banded? How have you explained your weight loss?

Thx for responding :grouphug:

I was banded 2 weeks ago. I don't feel like I need to explain the weight loss to anyone. If someone notices it, I just say thank you. I think that's enough.

I have not had surgery yet, but anticipate it being scheduled very soon.

I plan on not telling anyone at work except 1 coworker. I will tell my boss that I'm having stomach surgery. I would not be lying to her.

When I start dropping weight and people ask, I'll tell them it's diet and exercise.

Only my boss knew that i had to do a stomach surgery , hiatal hernia.Everyone else heard that i was in the hospital and that everything now is ok. Nobody needs to know more than that.

I work at a pharmaceutical company in clinical R&D medical writing. Everyone I work with is so nosy even when it comes to the tiniest ailment. So when I told my manager that I was having surgery, her eyeballs got all big and wanted me to go on further. I told her I was having a minimally invasive laparoscopic procedure and left it at that. She only needs to know the dates (when I do get my date for surgery) and how long I'll be gone.

I'm not sure how everyone else's workplace is, but you would think that would be standard procedure.

Does anyone also have short term disability through their work that they can get while off from the surgery?

My surgery is tomorrow & I havent told my office manager or anyone in my office.I didnt even request to be off.Im going to call in sick and then after my procedure I will let them knw I had to have one.I fill it is none of their business.With my office you have too ask 45 days in advance too get off & I just schdule my procedure only a week ago. With the HIPPA laws you don't have too worry about a thing.

My husband was the only person who knew up until a few weeks before surgery. Then I opened up to family. A few days before I opened up to friends. I told work I had a hiatal hernia repair. Which was true.

At first, I only told my boss and a couple of my friends at work, but after being banded two weeks ago and returning to work I pretty much told everyone else. I'm pretty much an open book. After doing this I found out that another co-worker was in the middle of her 6 month pre-approval stage. She was thrilled that she can ask me questions.

Whether or not people disapprove or act like I'm taking the easy way out I don't care. This is about my life and my health and my taking control.

Of course, you should do and share only what you are comfortable sharing!

Best wishes to all my LB friends!

Deb

I didn't tell anybody. Only my husband and daughter know, not even my own mother. I didn't want to answer to anybody about what I ate and how much I ate.

My girlfriend had it done and all she heard was "are you allowed to eat that"? "you can eat that much!". As an explaination of my weight loss, I just told people I cut my calories (which is true) and I began to exercise (which is also true). Because with the lapband, weight loss is soo much slower than bipass you can get away with it.

But it is completely up to you, just know if you do tell you're gonna be hounded with questions.

I have short term disability, however it got real scary this past week I have been on FMLA (didn't know for sure until yesterday) since June 30, surgery July 1 that is not the way it started though. I was going back to work July6, and did, and went back July 7 and then was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. Unfortunately, HR had to take quite a few steps in determining if i was going to qualify, 1. I have worked at the same place for 3 years 2. I just transferred departments one month ago July 7 was my one month 3. Did not make it through 90 days probation. After all of this it was determined that YES I qualify for FMLA I have been there for enough time and YES I qualify for short term because I have been there for enough time and however being elective it wasn't like getting my boobs done or something that was not done because of a health risk. Short answer turned very long but yes, I have been told by HR that I will be covered.

I have not told anyone. I may tell my supervisor when it is time to give in my time off request. When I start really losing weight I may tell coworkers, but for the time being, the only person that knows I am doing anything is my mother.

Noone knows that I am banded where I am working. Its not like im dropping weight 10 pounds a week so it just seems like I am eating right and working out.