Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

uh oh... weird pain....is the port detached from the tube?

So i was banded june 28 and you guys all know where the incisions, the band and the port are. All upper to mid tummy.

Well for about 6 days now i have had a very uncomfortable sore feeling in my lower abdomen on the left side. It feels like i have severly pulled my lower left side tummy muscle.

I tried not to think much of it at first, just general sorness, but it is so accute. I read about a woman whose tube became detached from her port and ended up in her pelvic area. Could this be what i am feeling? Could it still be lingering gas pain that has set up shop in my lower belly?

My sorness from the incisions and surgery have subsided and i feel over all fine, but this tummy pain is killer:crying:.

Also i was self pay and i cant afford a corrective surgery. HELP i am starting to panic!

I had that for a few days. I chalked it up to my port being stchted into my abd wall and pulling nerves. Of course contact your doc. My pain did subside though

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it has anything to do w/your band. Complications are extremeley rare. I've been on this site for almost two years and never heard anyone talk about their tube disconnecting until the same lady you are talking about that was on here recently. Its not a common complication at all. In fact, its so rare that its not normally even mentioned as a possible complication before surgery. So, I would stop worrying about that right away.

I'm no doctor, but lower left abdomen pain sounds like it could be something to do w/your left ovary. I get pains in my ovaries when I ovulate. It is pretty pronounced and lasts about a day. But, you could also get more persistent pains like this if you have developed fibroids. Three out of four women will get fibroids. They are really common and don't normally require surgery. But, that may be another possible explanation for the discomfort you are experiencing.

In any case, I would recommend going to your PCP to investigate. In all likelihood, it has nothing to do w/the band.

It's pretty common, too, to just have generalized abdominal pain, even a bit remote from the incisions. Pain can be referred from one area to another--nerve tracts are tricky.

If you're concerned, give your doctor a call---acute pain is often a signal that something is going on. (Ovary is a good bet.) But don't leap to the conclusion you have a band issue.

I hope you feel better fast!

Thanx to all for the info. It was the weekend and I couldnt call my doc but I am about to now.

To the answers about ovarian pain, this does feel different than usual ovary pain but that is always a possibility.

Just having a place to go and talk helped me get through the night.

I cant thank you guys enough:wub:

I was banded on 6/29 and I think I'm experiencing possibly the same thing that you are. Where the port incision in...if you were to stick something in, say, 5inches, is where the pain is and it's a pulling from the inside type of pain? I get this when I've either been sitting for a while and stand up, or when I've been laying down. It's not a constant pain, but happens only when I get up. I attribute it to the stitches on the inside. Not only are there stitches (or in my case glue) on the outside, the multiple layers inside were stitched as well. For a while, I was feeling it on the right side too. It was a super intense pain for a few minutes right after I stood up.

In my non-professional experience, I chalk it up to the internal healing process. Just because we're almost healed on the outside, doesn't mean we're 100% on the inside.

Hope that helps. If you're still real worried about it, or the pain gets worse, go see your MD! It won't hurt, and better safe than sorry! GL!

I hate to say this, but I had the same pain and it was indeed that the port detached from the tube. The pain was like horrible cramps (lower abnominal). I went to my surgeon, my GP, a gynecologist, and a gastroenterologist, then back to my lap band surgeon and insisted that he check it out. He found that there was no Fluid in the band, ordered an x-ray and found it was detached. I was so happy that there was a reason for that horrible pain and i wasn't going to die from something serious.

I had that same pain and I thought something terrible had happened. It hurt so badly at first I was going to run to the emergency room, but thought if it was gas pains I'd be so embarassed so I stayed sitting in one posiition until I could move some. It was still very sore and I went to my lap band dr and he said it was a pulled muscle or muscle spasm and if the pain continued to call my PCP. Well I waited a week, walking around with a pillow on my stomach because it felt better with more pressure on it. I called and made an appointment with my primary care doctor and 2 hours after I called him, the pain went away and hasn't returned. MY PCP said that everything else was fine with me, but you should always use your own pain guide as to what you need to do. Good luck to you.

I don't have any ovaries, so I can't say that I had that pain... but I had some serious "bowel" issues for a while after surgery, and now that a year has gone by I finally don't get the stomach pains. My initial issues were on my right side... but that was because of my gal bladder spasming. Then just general Constipation or the runs, or just lots of gas. Go talk to your Dr!