Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I the only one that thinks this is a diet?

Diet checklist:

• Going to bed hungry? Nope!
  • Foregoing foods I love? Nope!
  • Going to quit when goal is reached? Nope!
  • Counting calories or carbs religiously? Nope!
  • Hating life? Nope!

Nope, not a diet.

My thoughts exactly, never have I lost weight as consistently and never been hungry!

To me this is not a diet at all..from the minute I got my first fill (and with my doctors approval) I changed the word "diet" to "lifestyle change". I eat anything I want just in moderation. I don't log or count anything. There are some foods I don't eat because the band doesn't like them..tortilla chips and ice cream. I pretty much gave up bread because it fills me up too fast but if I really have to have a bite I will with no problems. I don't have any cravings for any surgery foods at all so I just don't eat them. My surgeon told me yesterday I need to add some sugar to my food list (now that is a first). I am slightly addicted to sf popsicles. I cook a lot so I know what is in what I eat but I eat everything...steak, chicken, hamburger..you name it I eat it just very small portions of it. So is this a diet..absolutely not..but was it a lifestyle change..absolutely!!

I think it is a diet in that there is an eating plan to be followed. At least I have a plan, sounds like most others do as well. My plan is high protien, low carb and low fat. I realize I will need to eat this way for the rest of my life. Some days I go through feeling deprived, but overall it's not that bad.

I was wondering this myself...I am finishing up week 4 of being banded and have gotten a bit down in the dumps because I went from losing 11 lbs to nothing. I keep looking here on the boards for that encouragement because I know that I am in "bandster Hell" at the moment.

I hope that I can make a lifestyle change and never have to "diet" again. It's just right now at this moment...it feels like a diet...but I'm learning!

You've had the set back and I can understand your feelings. Hope you find the encouragement you need!!!

Stacy, get out of the dump before you step on a dirty diaper.

Keep your head up and be positive. Make the changes that are going to be required at your own pace and stop watching the scale!

With restriction, the changes will come naturally.

I have been banded 4 months and I believe I am at my sweet spot after 3 fills. I can't eat much. So, I have to make sure I get enough Protein in before I eat anything else. I use to weigh my foods and read labels and log everything until I was comfortable with my ability to do it by eye.

Just stay positive and patient and you'll be fine.

Pickles-I see your point that you have lost that much before, but just like you said yourself...how long did you keep that off? That's the difference. Losing that much with a defective port is awesome and just think...now that it's fixed you will start getting fills and get some restriction and it will feel less like a diet. I opt to keep my band a tad bit loose because yes I do eat the dreaded bread once in a great while. I just choose the whole wheat kind with lots of Fiber (and hey TMI, but with the high Protein I can use all the fiber i can get!) I know for me personally if I feel deprived, I snap and got way overboard with the bad food. So yes I don't always eat things that are what my surgeon would consider good. He also said that yes in a perfect world he would like me to never touch cake or Cookies or ice cream or chips ever again, but he knows that that's really not realistic and said if I really want or feel like I need something, incorporate the extra calories (eat really good the rest of the day) and try to go by the 3 bite rule which really works well for me. I can take 3 bites and be satisfied and not feel deprived. Hope this makes sense and helps!

Oh and the 3 bite rule also helps to make you feel less like an outcast at things like birthdays and weddings :). Take a bite, enjoy it and really taste it then do that like 2 more times. Again I do not do this all the time and if you did I am sure that yes you prob will gain weight, but it helps me feel like I am not on a diet and I am not deprived. Plus the Dr. said it was ok by him.

Losing weight fast or slow is still losing weight. There is no hurry. Life is not a race and if it is, do you know anyone that is looking forward to the finish line?

Love this quote - thinking I will print it out for my desk at work and maybe my refrigerator or some other place at home that I'll see it.

PS - I am in awe you lost 50 lbs with a broken band. I am impressed you had this problem and are sticking with the band. There's a lot of change you are managing at one time and you are coming through it. Not the way you planned, but your success is inspirational to a newbie like me (I'm 2 weeks post-op) and will feel good to still be on this site giving and seeking support when I'm as far down the road as you. Posting 50 lbs down will be another win! Hang in there!!

I'm with Hummingbirg on this one. Much of the weight came off without tracking calories, and moderate exercise. The last 15-20 have been where it's taken a bit of effort to lose. Upping the exercise, tracking calories (not all the time, but within a certain time period to see how many and what works for me), and really watching what I eat. When I do the scale rewards me, when I don't - well you know.

My band is on the loose side and I'm contemplating just a very small fill to make it a bit easier to keep my portions in check and my hunger. But I do like that I can eat anything right now and don't have any sliming or pbing. I like that fact that I know my band right now. If I stay determined I can get the weight off and get to goal - I just know a tiny .1 cc fill would help things along. I don't know if I'm willing to pay the price yet.

Oh, gosh, I so know what you mean.

My BMI is under 22, my weight is in the healthy range but I would like to be a little lighter. I do still ahve fat I'd like to lose - saddlebags and a bit of flab on the thighs still. Just 10lb more would take care of it, but I've tried for 2 and a half years - correction, I've thought about trying for 2 and half years. I cant exercise more than I do, I'm doing a great variety of strenght and cardio, its calories plain and simple.

But like you, I know my band so well now. i dont slime or pb in public, I can eat any food. I know a tiny fill would get me there but I just havent gotten to the point where I want to pay that price. There's also a part of me that believes that if this band is going to be forever, I cant abuse it be being overtight when i dont need to be. Its meant to make you healthy, not make you into a supermodel. But I've made one appointment and cancelled it so far....

I'm definitely not on a diet. I dieted for years and journaled everything I ate--I HATE journaling, and have refused to do so since surgery. I don't really watch what I eat too much. There are some foods I can't tolerate that well much of the time (bread), but nothing I consider off limits. This is the easiest I've had it in a long, long time in regards to diet and weight. That said, I'd like to lose about ten more pounds, and I THINK I will have to journal, diet, and get more serious about my exercise to do that.

I'm definitely not on a diet. I dieted for years and journaled everything I ate--I HATE journaling, and have refused to do so since surgery. I don't really watch what I eat too much. There are some foods I can't tolerate that well much of the time (bread), but nothing I consider off limits. This is the easiest I've had it in a long, long time in regards to diet and weight. That said, I'd like to lose about ten more pounds, and I THINK I will have to journal, diet, and get more serious about my exercise to do that.

I wish it was this easy for me :-(

I have to journal everything and work out crazy to even lose a little bit of weight :-(

I wish it was this easy for me :-(

I have to journal everything and work out crazy to even lose a little bit of weight :-(

You're new to it. Soon, you'll be counting to make sure you get enough Protein because you are eating so little. I stopped journalling a month ago. Mostly out of laziness but I am also confident now in how much I'm eating without weighing or recording.

Keep up the good work!! Those little bits of weight add up.

You're new to it. Soon, you'll be counting to make sure you get enough Protein because you are eating so little. I stopped journalling a month ago. Mostly out of laziness but I am also confident now in how much I'm eating without weighing or recording.

Keep up the good work!! Those little bits of weight add up.

Thanks! The scale is stuck and it wont move out of the 270s ! I dont ever remember seeing 260s! 3 more pounds!

I am with everyone who says this is not a diet. Diets don't work! We are all living proof of that.

I also refuse to count calories, journal, etc. I have no intention of doing that for the rest of my life so I see no reason to start out that way.

Thanks! The scale is stuck and it wont move out of the 270s ! I dont ever remember seeing 260s! 3 more pounds!

I remember when the scale wouldn't move out of the 330's; 300's; 250's and it's in the 220's now.

I look back and think that was a long time ago but it really wasn't. It was only a couple of months ago.

a couple of months from now when you are in the 250's you will look back and think the same.