Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't afford a new wardrobe every month

I'm newly banded:thumbup:, only 6 days out, but I am starting to wonder the best way to go about clothes when I start changing sizes. When I am home, I don't mind just wearing oversized shirts and PJs and stuff but I am going to start working in a few months and I can't afford to buy so many clothes in every size.

How do most people do this? So far, I have decided I will probably buy dresses so they can fit me through a few sizes but are there any other ideas? :thumbup:

I think I might start scouting the thrift stores now and just pick up anything I see that's nice and work appropriate if it's in a size that's anywhere between my current size and goal size.

I feel you on this one! :thumbup: As an attorney, I have to be in professional wear everyday and it gets expensive..so, I have taken to dresses and skirts as they look less baggy as I go down. I had a couple of my newest pants taken in, as it made the suits last a bit longer for far less than replacing. I've also become a rabid ebayer and snatch up deals for where I am and down one.....I make sure that whatever I get can be worn repeatedly without much notice..lots of neutrals that can be jazzed with a scarf or pin to make it seem different. My "causal" clothes situation is a mess....i only have two things that don't look like a complete sack but am too frugal to spend for weekend gardening clothes. Good luck and enjoy...its much better to have to shop for a size smaller than a size up!

When I'm losing and need new clothes, I wait until my clothes are falling off of me, and then I usually shop on eBay for some cheap clothing. Also, Walmart tends to have some cheap options for me. Keep an eye out in ads for cheap clothing, and let family and friends know if you're willing to accept some "donations" of gently used clothing from them. You'll go down several sizes, so even if the clothes seem WAY too small now, hold onto them if you have the room, and they'll come in handy! It's great to buy yourself a very nice outfit each time you go down a couple of sizes. It kind of acts as a "prize" for doing such a great job!

You'll also notice that as you lose the size changes may not come as fast as you think. I have lost 50lbs and have only went down 3 almost 4 sizes. A lot of the items(pants, jeans) a belt becomes your best friend. I have lost more in the top(2-3x down to 1x-xl). But I still haven't traded in my bras or draws;)

I am a teacher and need to dress decent as well. I just know how to catch a clearance rack and I try on the size below my current. If its a little tight, I wait to wear it or if its pants, I put a shirt over the tightness. They will eventually loosen up. I have only recently gotten a few dresses (I had a lot of in between clothes) for the summer that are adjustable in the straps. They also can be worn a bit blousier.

I think stretch material will be my best friend for a while. Maybe, get a couple of skirts that have elastic at the waist. They'll still fit as you're losing weight and still look good.

I went through this big time and still am a year out. Some sizes I stay on for a month of two and some sizes I zip straight through. I madr the mistake of buying tons of clothes at each size, needless to say, my friends and family have been benefitting nicely from my very gently used clothes at each size, many clothes I never even got to wear. Iwork out a TON and do a lot of weight lifting so even though the pounds are not moving, my inches are melting off. I move a new pant size on average every 2 months. It gets expensive.

Suggestion #1.. Do you have a support group? If you do you might want to do a clothing exchange- That way you can take your clothes in and others can exchange their stuff.

Suggestion #2.. Don't buy a lot of new stuff. Alter what you have appropriately then when you do need to buy something make sure it is able to be altered or fitted so that it will still look good but not terribly baggy.

Hit the thrift store, or resale shops. You can find really good quality clothing for cheap. Name brand stuff that you wouldn't expect to find.

Also, places like TJ Maxx are a good place to find good stuff. Just go for clearance items. Even big dept stores when they have clearance and coupons.

Look up "plus size thrift store" or something similar. I happily found there are 3 in my area.

The changes will be so gradual you won't have to think/worry.

The biggest lost I had was maybe 15 or 20 lbs right after surgery and then the rest was extremely extremely slow.

By the time I got around to getting new clothes, it made people suddenly realize I had lost weight even though it's not like it was some overnight thing.

Worry later... expect the future compliments.

i wait and get new clothes until i feel they look extremely loose. then i go and find good sales....like this 4th of july weekend - it was great!!!:confused:

Hi:

My size started at 26/28. I got as low as 12, but I'm at a 14 now. I went from my high to my low in only 15 months, so that was alot of sizes to go through.

I shopped at thrift stores. I also bought from clearance racks. What I did was buy things that were in my current size and lots of things in 12's and 14's because I knew that was my goal size.

You'll be amazed at what you can find at thrift stores. They usually have some plus sizes too.

I think that if you wear clothes that fit on the way down you feel more like you're losing weight because things don't hang off of you.

Best wishes to you on your weight loss journey. I'm headed in for a band revision on 7/20 and then I hope to get down to size 12 again by October. We'll see!

Sue

Thank for all the input everyone :-) You are all so helpful :-)

If you have thrift stores near ritzy towns I would try them first. You may find clothes that still have the tags on them.

I agree with the user who mentioned the support group. The support group I attend has a really big clothing exchange program....and you should be able to get the basics.

I'll also be relying on the collection of smaller clothes...at least until a point.