Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I just make the biggest mistake of my life?

I was banded June 28, 1 week ago. My doc is laid back about the eating and so 3 days post op I went to mushies and then 2 days after that normal foods (chew chew chew!)

Guess what, I feel fine! I have tried small bites of many different things, lots of Protein, but also even bread. Everything goes down fine. I do feel a little more full than I used to but not too much. I have quit losing weight, lost 15 lbs pre op and 2 days post op.

I really dont feel any different than I did b4, except for the $12000 I paid out of pocket.

12 grand is sooo much money and I cant believe that I just paid that to hopefully lose 100 lbs. I could have put that in a college fund for my WONDERFUL son (I know I would never regret that!!).

What have I done? Does this feeling pass? Will it seem worth it when I get a fill? :)

I believe that in the beginning most of us have our doubts...we have those moments where were like omggg what did I just do? I cant eat this that and the third..then next thing u know we try those daring foods just to find out that they go down perfectly fine....but trust me, once u get restriction, its WORTH it...You'll find urself full off of small portions and that really helps in weight loss...ull see a wonderful transformation in your health and looks, which is priceless...but u gotta be patient, you wont regret it if you succeed

It will seem worth it once the weight starts coming off.

I have gotten two fills im at 6cc with a 10cc band. I can eat anything I want.. I just choose not to. I still eat bread, Pasta, rice, but i eat them whole grain or wheat and in moderation. Since your on normal food already maybe you should try tracking your food. It really does help!

I purposefully did NOT go to any 4th of July BBQ's as I am only 14 days post-op. I am technically still on a liquid diet. I thought going to bbq's would be too much. Instead, I took my 8 year old son to the movies. HE got a popcorn. When the movie started, it smelled so good, I grabbed ONE kernal of popcorn and sucked on it until it was just kernal and swallowed. Technically, no chunks, right? Before you know it, I had about a handful and I felt so sick. I thought WHAT HAVE I DONE. I felt so icky, like I was gonna barf. I feel weak minded and ashamed that I couldn't stick to the lousy liquid diet after purposefully missing 4th celebrations with friends I still managed to find a way to get it wrong. After research, I find that popcorn is so over the top a NO-NO that I now wonder if I have managed to damage anything with the band. HELP!

I don't think you damaged your band, as you didn't even get sick. Try not to beat yourself up about your slip. All you can do is move on and do what's right. Look forward, not back. You can do it!

I was banded June 28, 1 week ago. My doc is laid back about the eating and so 3 days post op I went to mushies and then 2 days after that normal foods (chew chew chew!)

Guess what, I feel fine! I have tried small bites of many different things, lots of Protein, but also even bread. Everything goes down fine. I do feel a little more full than I used to but not too much. I have quit losing weight, lost 15 lbs pre op and 2 days post op.

I really dont feel any different than I did b4, except for the $12000 I paid out of pocket.

12 grand is sooo much money and I cant believe that I just paid that to hopefully lose 100 lbs. I could have put that in a college fund for my WONDERFUL son (I know I would never regret that!!).

What have I done? Does this feeling pass? Will it seem worth it when I get a fill? :)

Bread won't become an issue until you reach full restriction. I can still eat it from time to time, I just never know when it will backfire. So I only attempt it when getting stuck won't be a problem.

You are in what we "lovingly" refer to is bandster hell. You have this wonderful took inside you that is not doing much to help you.

As a band veteran told it when I was early on...it is like you just got this fabulous sports car. But the gas tank is empty. You REALLY want to drive it at top speed, but you cannot fill the tank for 6 weeks, so all you can do is look at it and dream of the day you are zooming down the highway.

Once you can fill the tank, your car will be working at top performance. It just takes time.

Think of how much healthier you are going to be for your son without those 100 lbs. You will set a better example for him by being more active and eating more healthful foods. You have a chance to live longer and enjoy more years with him.

I purposefully did NOT go to any 4th of July BBQ's as I am only 14 days post-op. I am technically still on a liquid diet. I thought going to bbq's would be too much. Instead, I took my 8 year old son to the movies. HE got a popcorn. When the movie started, it smelled so good, I grabbed ONE kernal of popcorn and sucked on it until it was just kernal and swallowed. Technically, no chunks, right? Before you know it, I had about a handful and I felt so sick. I thought WHAT HAVE I DONE. I felt so icky, like I was gonna barf. I feel weak minded and ashamed that I couldn't stick to the lousy liquid diet after purposefully missing 4th celebrations with friends I still managed to find a way to get it wrong. After research, I find that popcorn is so over the top a NO-NO that I now wonder if I have managed to damage anything with the band. HELP!

I eat the 100 cal pack popcorn all the time... I was never told no popcorn.

I eat the 100 cal pack popcorn all the time... I was never told no popcorn.

I've read it can get stuck, but I've never had a problem, either.

I too can eat a much wider variety of foods than I expected...which for me is good since I need a varied diet. I chose to track calories and do it on lapband.com...which has the fitday food diary/calorie tracker. There are a lot of sites that have trackers. I actually found that if I don't keep track I usually am under my optimal daily calorie count...so am skimping on Protein and nutrients, which makes weight loss harder. I shoot for 1200 calories, then keep an eye on protein so I get that all in...then add veggies and carbs. Also with this fill, my third, I am feeling more restriction, so I use my handy 1/2 cup scoop to measure out meals for the first time since my post band diet. But the food diary...every day, and every time food passes my lips!...is a real key to weight loss! Online it is even interesting to see how many calories in my normal foods.

thanx for all the replies. I guess I didnt realize I was in bandster hell. You just have all these expectations about after surgery.... no hunger.......clothes falling off of you.... etc. Its hard when you commit to all the pain and work and then you feel no different.

First fill.... I'm waiting for ya!!!

I was banded the same day you were. My doc is not liberal with my diet and I have 2 weeks liquids 2 weeks mushy then reg food. However my moms Dr. was like yours, she was able to eat after a couple of days. I can see the difference in my weight loss and hers. I am loosing fast where she is slower, but when I start eating reg food again, I am expecting to gain some weight back which is fine, cuz in the end it will all average out. Just be patient and it will all be worth it!

I think we've all experienced what you're going through...Bandster Hell! It takes MONTHS to reach restriction. You'll have a few fills and feel NOTHING and then BAM! You'll have total restriction. Realistically, you SHOULD still feel hungry, since there is little to no fill in your band yet. The 1st 6 weeks are typically "healing" time. Once the fills begin (and you reach restriction) you'll have the "Aha!" moment. Meanwhile, don't get discouraged. We're all in this together : )

I can't thank you all enough for your post & replies. I was banded on 6/29 and even though I'm technically still supposed to be on liquids, I've already eaten real foods without any problem. Granted, I'm not stuffing my face at McD's, but solid food is solid food. I was certain last night that I damaged my stomach and the band for having half of a 6in sub-like sandwich. I was devastated and totally freaked out.

I'm back on track, but this is really a head-game, isn't it?? I never use to understand why people are soooo excited when they get a fill, and now I think I know. Fills=weight loss. No fills= no loss. Right?!?! It's not rocketscience, but I think I just figured it out.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I appreciate everyone on here for their comments and especially to the gal who posted my exact question. I'm right there with ya girl! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your thread!!!!!!

Edited by Mommy2Ps

Just remember this is a journey. It takes time to go through all the steps - surgery, healing, fills, restriction, good weight loss, learning new eating habits, ect.

I started my journey April 7 and was sure after my surgery I would be the one the band does not work for. What I discovered, however, is that the band was just waiting for me to make the best use of it. I have lost 30 pounds since surgery day, off my diabetes meds, blood pressure meds cut back, off pain killers for aching joints, and down from size 22 to 16. I just had fill #3 and am getting more restriction each time.

I LOVE MY BAND and you will too - it just takes time.

Best of luck to new bandsters!

I know exactly what you are going through. I was a self pay patient. My surgery cost $17,000.00 in total and I felt the same way. My Doctor was very strict with my post op diet, but trust me it does get better. When you start getting fills you can tell a big difference. I am having a little trouble with my band right now, but it is my fault. Because it is summer, I have gotten off my regular routine and eating times and now when I eat it is making me a little sick. I have made more trips to the bathroom in the last month than ever!! Hang in there. I had my surgery in October 2009 and I have already lost my 100 pounds. I want to go down at least 30 more pounds. Dont get discouraged this soon. Your body is getting adjusted to everything and so is your head. Try and stay in a good place and journal. It helps, trust me.