Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Band Tighten Over Time??

Well I was just wondering if you have ever experienced your band tightening up weeks after a fill?

On May 20, I had a fill done that put me at 7.5 CC's well once I started eating solids I couldn't keep anything down; not even water;

I went in for an unfill of .5cc's and that helped me out; well after a few weeks I was still hungry and had no restriction; Went back to the dr. 3 weeks later and had a fill of about

.25 cc's.

Well for weeks I had some restriction but now about 6 weeks later my restriction has increased. I am also starting to have to slow down my drinking and eating more; I can't eat as much as I use too; Some things I can't eat at all.

This is a good thing but I was just wondering if at times this happens or is there something wrong? I have an appointment on this Thursday for a fill but I feel like I have good restriction and will probably cancel b/c I don't think I need anymore.

Well I was just wondering if you have ever experienced your band tightening up weeks after a fill?

On May 20, I had a fill done that put me at 7.5 CC's well once I started eating solids I couldn't keep anything down; not even water;

I went in for an unfill of .5cc's and that helped me out; well after a few weeks I was still hungry and had no restriction; Went back to the dr. 3 weeks later and had a fill of about

.25 cc's.

Well for weeks I had some restriction but now about 6 weeks later my restriction has increased. I am also starting to have to slow down my drinking and eating more; I can't eat as much as I use too; Some things I can't eat at all.

This is a good thing but I was just wondering if at times this happens or is there something wrong? I have an appointment on this Thursday for a fill but I feel like I have good restriction and will probably cancel b/c I don't think I need anymore.

Yes this happened to me. I went in for my 5th fill and about 4 weeks later it was so tight that i could hardly keep anything down so I had to go back in for a small unfill. I do have restriction now and I don't have another visit until August. I'm not sure if I will need a fill next visit or not. I'm not hungry in between meals. I am at a plateau for 2 weeks now. But I am told that when you get down to almost your goal weight, things slow way down.

This has happened to me also. Does anyone know why? My doctor said something about scar tissue but that doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for the advice.

My restriction varies a bit from day to day. I think mine is tighter when I'm dehydrated. Usually I keep up w/my Water really well, but the few times I haven't, I have definitely noticed being tighter. Also, alcohol dehydrates you and can make you feel tighter the next day.

I'm 4 months new to this and have only had 3 fills but my band seems to get looser over time.

It usually loosens over time.

I am at 8cc out of a 10cc band. I got banded in December and usually get a fill once a month. After my fill, I am tight the first week, and the tightest the second week. After the second week, I start seeing some loosening with my band. The doctor told me that this was me losing weight and fat tissue around the band. Makes sense to me.

I also notice every day is different.....breakfast is usually out...and bread is a no-no.

I think you read my mind. This is exactly where I am at. I have a 10cc band and I have 7.5cc's in it. At first I was really tight and after a week or so, it was better. Now, like two months later, I am so tight that I can not hardly eat. I am down to only eating about a small handfull of food twice a day if I am lucky. My Doctor has been out of town, but I have an appointment next week. I have been banded since October 2009 and I have never up chucked until the last couple of months. I have also found that I am making the worst noises after I eat. It sound like my food is trying to eat my insides. It almost sounds like a frog!! Dont think I have lost my mind. My husband says he can hear it across the room. It doesnt hurt but it is embarassing, especially when I elected not to reveal my surgery to anyone. I will keep you posted, and please let me know how you are doing and what your Dr. says. Two opinions are usually better than one. Thanks for posting, I really needed to know that someone else is feeling this as well.

Hi! I feel like I have become queen of the "adventures in banding" this last week. I was banded in December, and like most people, after my first few fills I would be tighter for a few days, few weeks, etc then loosen up a bit. After my third fill in March, I got tight and stayed tight, after about 6 weeks I started getting tighter and tighter, by early June I was eating soft stuff only a tiny bit at a time and PBing easily. I was losing like crazy but had had enough and went for a slight unfill. She took out 0.8 and I was AWESOME for about 2 1/2 weeks. Then over last week started getting tighter, and tighter, and tighter...things got stuck easily, I was slowing down on liquids again. Saturday things got a little worse, by Sunday I was essentially on liquids only and having to sip. Saturday night I started refluxing in the middle of the night and coughing, all freaking night. I didn't sleep at all on Sunday or Monday. Monday was even slower and I was starting to have pressure in my chest, abdomen, shoulders, and neck...and I was just not feeling well. About 2:00 Tuesday a.m. I started puking my brains out, constantly. I couldn't keep fluids down at all. By 8:00 I was on the phone with my doc and heading to his office at noon. I got to my office and had lost 5 pounds since Friday, I could barely stand, kept feeling like I was about to black out, etc...luckily I work in a family practice office so we "home medicated" and I was lucky enough to be able to get 2 liters of Fluid while laying on the couch in my office...If I worked anywhere else in the world I would have had to go to the ER. I saw my surgeon and he took out 1.4 cc...as soon as he started pulling it out the pressure went away, it was the best feeling in the world. I'm pooped today but have gained the 5 pounds back and drinking like a wild woman and feel soooo much better...

I guess that was my long way of saying "BE CAREFUL" a little tighter here and there is okay but if it seems to be escalating be very careful and get help if you need it. I'm a family practice physician assistant and have a good knowledge of the band and related issues but it's really easily to just blow it all off and think your band is just being fickle....

Good luck and be careful!

Mine has loosened over time. Usually 2 weeks after a fill I can start to tell I can eat more.

Yes, you CAN get tighter over time. I suspect my recent tightness is due to heat wave weather outside/dehydration.

Like an earlier poster, I could write the book "Adventures in Banding" lol. I am SUPER sensitive to fills. I normally get .1 cc at a time. I am 14 months post op (70 lbs. down) and in my 10 cc band only have 3.5 ccs. after many fills/unfills/refills - usually within 3 days of one another. I had a slight fill about 3 weeks ago - .1 - at first thought "no restriction felt" but last week boy, am I tight! Usually can eat oatmeal for Breakfast - not any more! Even the nonfat lattes make gurgling noises on the way down. I am stuck with Soup for lunch (tomato, butternut squash) nothing with "bits" in it. I try to throw in a Protein shake from time to time - and sometimes can eat 1/2 of an avocado, mashed or hummus for dinner. Howver -- chocolate chip Cookies dipped in milk, and Pringles, go down just fine :thumbup: Hang in there! For the last six months, I have had no weight loss or gain. That is with exercising with personal trainer 3x a week.

I know for me, I need to (1) exercise more (2) stay away from trigger foods that DO go down and (3) pray harder.

Yes it can get tighter. It usually takes about 3-4 weeks for a fill to kick in for me. And certain TOM and weather, travel, etc. make my band tighter. Now that I'm used to it, I know when to be more careful. But it is different for everyone. Some are tight right away after a fill, others it takes a while.

I'm still very new at this and am scheduled for my first fill on July 21. However, I had my surgery on the 22nd, adn I have noticed in the last couple of days that my appetite seems to be growing. My doctor still has me on an all Protein diet but with my increasing appetite and I'm starting to crave vegetables and other things. I started getting nervous about my increasing appetite but it sounds like it might be the norm??? I'm still sticking to my nutrition program but I feel hungry more often, but I refuse to give in!!!

The band doesn't tighten, but sometimes it takes a couple of days or weeks for the restriction to "kick in". You're normal, don't worry. :thumbup:

kliv2 you are at the same point that I am! my surgery was the 21st and my first fill is scheduled for the 20th but I'm starting to miss chewing/food and I feel like my appetite is increasing. I haven't given in either except for strawberries I'm only having Protein Shakes and diluted juice. I'm stressing cause I feel like people are expecting me to lose faster than I am.