Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trick to getting in enough Fluids

One thing I have learned since being banded is that I guess drinking liquids was almost always related to eating. So, I have had a little trouble getting enough fluids in. I almost always think about fluids just as I'm about to eat. What ideas do you have for me?

Also, any yummy ideas out there beyond Crystal light, iced tea, Vitamin Water (Zero)?

Lose4life's Blog

Thanks!

LusciousL

I am addicted to Lipton diet green tea - I can drink up to a gallon of it a day! Just can't seem to drink plain Water - I need some flavor in it.

The not drinking during/after meals thing is probably the hardest thing for me so far. But I've been getting in my fluids throughout the day by always having my Water bottle or drink mug with me and just sipping all the time.

I've been making myself start immediately when I get up and getting in one full 750ml bottle as I go about my morning routine. Then I wait 15-20 min before Breakfast, usually working on making my kids' Breakfast, doing some dishes, checking email, something. It gets a head start on the Water for the day, that's for sure!

I love teas, so 30-45 min after breakfast, I'll have a cup of tea with my Benefiber (generic) in it, as it dissolves really well in hot beverages.

And then it's just working on it across the day, and leaving it in another room while I'm eating so I'm not tempted to drink then.

I also get in some extra before bed. I'm used to having to get up to pee once a night, so it's no big deal to add some water then too. It all adds up! :)

I have a hard time not drinking with meals. During breakfast and lunch I dont drink but with dinner I have to.

I dont drink enough fluids, Im lucky if I get one bottle of Water down a day. Its just hard for me, normal Water is ick and if i put crystal light in there everytime I feel like my teeth are going to fall off!

I almost always have Water with me. I am lucky, love to drink water. My advice is to try to have fluids with you almost all the time and sip sip sip. You should find you get your 64oz throughout the day.

When we moved to Texas I learned fairly quickly to like ice tea...a lot of it! Unsweetened and with lemon. Restaurants around here from McD's to the upscale ones just keep it coming. Once I got over the no-sugar thing (because it was not available pre-sweetened and sugar just doesn't dissolve but I loathe artificial sweeteners) I learned to always have one at hand. Before I made the decision to get banded I talked to someone who had had a bypass; the conversation started because she was fdoing a wine sampling in the grocey and mentioned that a particular wine went well with the coffee she drank day in and day out. That's how she got her liquids...coffee not wine. And I do drink bottled Water too. Once you get used to drinking a certain amount per day you'll find you wake up craving it. I also read that some people think they are hungry, when actually they are thirsty. The signals get mixed up or we can't tell the difference...so we overeat. You just have to train yourself to keep sipping.

SF Jellow and especially SF ice pops have been a savior, especially during the hot summer days. It also helps when I think I'm hungry inbetween meals but it's too early to eat. I haven't had my first fill yet so these have helped with cravings and fluids.

I was struggling with liquids until I found some new ideas on sparkpeople.com:

1. Water with lemon (or line, or orange just a drop)

2. New crystal light flavors (Metabolism and Fiber are very good!)

3. Really watered down iced coffee

4. Mixing Snapple Diet Lemonade and Diet Team for Diet Arnold Palmer :-).:)

Starting last week I wouldn't eat the next meal until I drank 20 oz of liquids between this meal and the prior one. That helps me a lot. It has also reduced between meal snacking (as previous poster think that hunger was really thirst?).

I used to love Water, I just can't do it right now.

Good luck!

sugar free Koolaid singles (sold next to the Crystal Light packs) are WONDERFUL! :) I found some at Wal-mart! I can't drink anymore Crystal Light. BLAH!