Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had Lapband June 21st post op day 3

I remember an old saying . Be careful what you wish for because you might just get. I have been trying for 2 years to have the banding done. Now I am on the road to recovery and a whole new life. I have been keeping up with different threads on this site to get a review of how many respond to the post op trials. I am having some gas pains and feel like my band isn't letting the fluids go thru very easy. I can tolerate only small sips and when it goes down it feels like I have swollowed air. You know like when you have taken a big drink of Water and it is caught with air and the pain you feel. When I had a Barium swollow done 20 hours post op it revealed that a small and very small amount of contrast was able to seep thru. They said due to the stomach swelling it would constrict the opening more. I am wondering how long this last. I really worry about dehydration. Remember I am new to this and anxious as well. I am glad I have went this route. If you have some encouragement please pass it along.

Thanks and good luck to all the new banders on site.:thumbup:

I remember an old saying . Be careful what you wish for because you might just get. I have been trying for 2 years to have the banding done. Now I am on the road to recovery and a whole new life. I have been keeping up with different threads on this site to get a review of how many respond to the post op trials. I am having some gas pains and feel like my band isn't letting the fluids go thru very easy. I can tolerate only small sips and when it goes down it feels like I have swollowed air. You know like when you have taken a big drink of Water and it is caught with air and the pain you feel. When I had a Barium swollow done 20 hours post op it revealed that a small and very small amount of contrast was able to seep thru. They said due to the stomach swelling it would constrict the opening more. I am wondering how long this last. I really worry about dehydration. Remember I am new to this and anxious as well. I am glad I have went this route. If you have some encouragement please pass it along.

Thanks and good luck to all the new banders on site.:thumbup:

First off congratulations. Secondly did you have any fill put in during your surgery? Some do but most of us don't. If you did have fill put in you might need some taken out. If you did, then it's normal what you are feeling. The swelling should start to go down in about a week to a week 1/2. You should be only sipping at this point. You should be able to consume a shot glass full of fluids in 15 minutes. It helps sometimes to burp after it goes in (Of course not while anyone is around). You still might have some gas inside too which is why you will also feel uncomfortable. Hang in there. Things should get better. If you find that you can't keep anything down, call your doctor immediately.

I had my band put in on the 22nd. I too have had some difficulty keeping things down. The day after the surgery I didn't keep anything down. Then yesterday I was able to keep some fluids and today I'm able to keep fluids as well down. I too am worried about dehydration. But I keep sipping hoping that it stays down. I haven't really experienced too much pain except for the occassional gas pain. Those can be tough!!!! good luck and keep your chin up! I'm just trying to stay positive in knowing that things will get better!

Gas-x takes those gas pains away:blushing:

Does it have to be the Gas-X strips or can it be the tablets?

Does it have to be the Gas-X strips or can it be the tablets?

You really don't want to swallow pills. Gas-X strips disolve on your tongue. If you can find chewable gas pills, go for it. But Gas-X is the most effective.

Hi all,

I also had gastric band surgery on the 21st June, in Sydney Australia. I'm feeling ok. Tired and a bit weak, yeah I think that is the feeling, weakness. If only this damn sholder "gas" pain would go away. Its like it builds to a point and then twists a knife in my left sholder blade. Can't stand it. Can't lye down in bed, have to sleep propped up. How long will this go on for ?

Drove the kids to school for the first time today with a big pillow over my lap under the seat belt. I'm going to get the house work done today at a snails pace just to keep moving. Hoping this might help the pain and Water consumption.

Hope your all doing better today. Would be great to hear from anyone who has ideas or just want's to share their weight loss journey.

Cheers,

Lillybeth x:smile:

you can chew the tablets, and they can be the store brand, i bought the target brand its where i fill my prescripts, cherry ones um good taste, and cheeper too.

Hey Astromom you hit the nail on the head. I had to return to the Dr.last Friday for them to withdraw the primer Fluid from the band. Total relief automacticlly. I was checked to see if I needed to be admitted again for iv fluids but was able to come home. Bummer, I live 3 hours from the Hospital and Dr. in Louisville. They took 3cc's of fluid out and the injection into the port and it not healed hurt but was a welcome pain so I could get something down with out pain. I am now getting a regular liquid diet. Thank God for Unjury. It is so good.

Take care and thanks for the reply.

Hey Astromom you hit the nail on the head. I had to return to the Dr.last Friday for them to withdraw the primer Fluid from the band. Total relief automacticlly. I was checked to see if I needed to be admitted again for iv fluids but was able to come home. Bummer, I live 3 hours from the Hospital and Dr. in Louisville. They took 3cc's of Fluid out and the injection into the port and it not healed hurt but was a welcome pain so I could get something down with out pain. I am now getting a regular liquid diet. Thank God for unjury. It is so good.

Take care and thanks for the reply.

Wow I am glad that you are feeling better. And I'm also glad that it wasn't anything serious. Good luck to you.

I'm getting stronger every day!

weight.png

Edited by pkfred