Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you tell your co-workers?

I am a little apprehensive about telling my co-workers about my surgery that is scheduled for July 2nd. I work in an industry where fitness and health are very prominent. It is VERY obvious that I have a weight issue, but my issues don't ever come up in conversation. I know that a few of the people that I work with look down on any type of weight loss surgery, but I really want their support. I know I shouldn't care what they think, but I do! Any suggestions how I can tell them and get their full support?:smile2:

I work as a nurse in a hospital that is a bariatric surgery of excellence and just so you know, many of the nurses I work with are anti-WLS. I could go on and on about some of the horrible comments I hear and have heard! I went to a different hospital and told everyone I was having a hiatal hernia repair, which was true. Be careful who you tell because once you tell you can never get that back. Two people I work with know and that's only because I am friends with them outside of work. I told one friend a few days before surgery and the other a few days after surgery. Good luck!

I told my boss first, since I needed to make so many appointments to get through the pre-op checklist and I didn't want her to think I was interviewing LOL. I just told her how excited I was about it and she was so supportive.

I was so excited I just ended up telling everyone else gradually. Some played nice and said, "You don't qualify for something like that." LOL I was very lucky and received nothing but support and positive comments the whole time!

I think part of me wanted to let everyone know so it pushed me to succeed even more!!!

You may have a naysayer or two, but don't let these people get you down. When the weight starts coming off, you won't give a rat's tush about what anyone thinks ;-)!

Good luck!

I told all my co-workers when I started the process and they've been more than supportive. They are really excited for me and actually one of my friends whom I work with is having the surgery next month as well. There are some people who think its the easy way out and are against it,,, but you know what i think?? They are just jealous!! lol

I'm having surgery on July 13 and I've told my co-workers that I'm going on vacation. I knew that there would be some backlash and I didn't want it to bring me down, especially since I was already experiencing it with my immediate family.

I got banded last FRiday on June 18th. I havent told my coworkers and dont intendt to. I've only told 1 family member nad my immediate supervisor. It's not their business, an I dont need or want to be the topic of conversation when I'm not around. I dont care about their speculations, but more that anything else I just dont want them in my business. 8)

childgod752...We were banded the same day, how are you feeling? Where did you have it done?

Hi,

That's cool! I got my surgery done at Howard University Hospital in Washington DC , by Dr.Fullem he's a really cool doctor very personable and a great staff. I'm feeling really well. I worked from home on Monday and went in to work today. I went walking yesterday and will walk again tomorrow morning and later in the evening. I've lost 5lbs since coming home Saturday afternoon (Water weight) I imagine. But I'm doing me breathing exercises to expand my lungs and have redress my sutures an cleaned them. I feel great!! I hope you do as well! 8) :smile2:

I didnt have to, my wife did it for me! I asked her not to tell any one about the surgery that it was a family matter between us. Turns out the only one she didnt tell was my Brother and Best friend! I had a good laugh after I calmed down and still razz her about it. No one knew about the surgery prior to, it was after the fact that they all found out about it. They have all been supportive which surprises me cause I work in a prison. Now I get the occasional how much have you lost now question, but for the most part they leave me alone about it.

I'm not telling anyone at work - I put in for vacation time. I thought of all kinds of lies to tell - but at the end of the day - I couldn't do it. I would hate to get caught in a lie (I'm a terrible liar), so this is just easier. They've all watched me gain and lose a million pounds - so I don't really need them talking about this. I'm someone who usually over-shares, so this is really a challenge for me. I imagine the day will come when I'm ready to tell the world - it's just not today. I wish I worked with people who weren't judgmental and mean, but that's who they are!

I did not tell anyone about my banding until I started losing weight and people started to notice. I chose who to just say thank you and the truth too. I have lost

90 lbs since 7/14/09, now I do not care what others think because I feel great. I have training to walk a 1/2 marathron and no negetive talk about weight lost surgury can make me feel bad.

I haven't told any co-workers and only a very few good friends and close family members. I don't intend to tell any more than already know and have asked those that do know to keep it to themselves.

Screw what anyone else thinks!

Not only is yours the only opinion that matters but it is none of their business.

I am quite open and if anyone asks, I have no problem telling them. If they don't ask, then I don't tell. Sounds like a Clinton thing.

I've been thinking about this a lot too... I'm a nurse and I just know all of my co-workers are going to judge me so I think I might keep it to myself. I havent decided if I'm going to tell family yet... I've only told 3 people:)

WOW....and how do you tell your family and friends?! I am struggling with all those questions right now. There are so many people in my life who will judge me and my decision. My date for surgery is July 1st. I called my mom immediately and told her.....her and my sister were the only family members who knew. She told my dad who I do not have a good relationship with and he is confused about it all. (they are divorced) I truly wish she hadn't told him. One of the before/after pictures that runs across the top of the screen is a friend of my ex-husbands and unfortunately, my ex and children (grown sons 22 & 26) were not totally thrilled with his decision worried about his health and still do. I know my decision is not what they would want but I do want it and I have been working on this far too long to listen to BS from those who have negative ideas regarding it. I have asked that those I have told....to NOT tell anyone until I am ready. I want someone to ask me...or to see results. I don't want to worry about the small stuff!!