Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck for the 1st Time...Pork Chops are NOT my friend!

It is an awful feeling!

I'm with elcee, though. After some time passes, I give foods that have given me problems another try. My band is fickle; it does not predictably have problems with any particular food. But I've had plenty of stuck incidents that practically made me swear never to eat anything again!

OMG....I was banded on May 7 and I have had my first "stuck" episode today, actually right now. This is aweful! It hurts so bad. I got stuck on steak this morning. After about 3 bites wham the pain started. Also my first time throwing up since being banded and that scare me, I do not want to make my band slip. I have had steak since my surgery but this is the first time since my first fill on 6/10. WOW this stinks. I feel so thirsty and want to drink Water but that just sits there and hurts too. Is there anything that I can do? I have thrown up some but there has to still be a piece stuck in there, nothing is going down. And this excess saliva is just gross and I keep burping. Help!

clhendrix2, I hope you are feeling better now. I hope the steak finally passed through (or you got it out throwing up....ugh)

This is why I do not eat solid meats like pork chops or steak.

Update! Yea unstuck!!! I was in such a panic about this today, I had been stuck, not able to get anything down, not even Water for almost 6 hrs, so I called my Dr. He called me back and said do not panic, try to relax and even exercise if you can, it should get things moving again. He sounded alot less stressed over it than I was. I was just so worried about the throwing up. Anyway I went down to a friends house that has a pool and about 30 minutes after being in the water, I actually felt it slip on through! Whew what a relief! Instantly that pain and pressure in my chest was gone. Man I was so thirsty by then I was guzzeling water lol I do NOT want to experience that ever again! I was miserable and fearing the worst, hopefully I did not do any damage to my band :smile2:

I'm sure you did not damage the band, but after a hard stuck episode like that you should take it very easy for at least tomorrow and maybe even longer. This could have caused some swelling of the stomach. Go very slow with liquids, then soft foods........

Update! Yea unstuck!!! I was in such a panic about this today, I had been stuck, not able to get anything down, not even Water for almost 6 hrs, so I called my Dr. He called me back and said do not panic, try to relax and even exercise if you can, it should get things moving again. He sounded alot less stressed over it than I was. I was just so worried about the throwing up. Anyway I went down to a friends house that has a pool and about 30 minutes after being in the Water, I actually felt it slip on through! Whew what a relief! Instantly that pain and pressure in my chest was gone. Man I was so thirsty by then I was guzzeling water lol I do NOT want to experience that ever again! I was miserable and fearing the worst, hopefully I did not do any damage to my band :thumbup:

Thanks for the update!! I had absolutely no idea what to do if it didn't come up or go down by itself. :Banane20: Glad you're feeling better! :party:

I get stuck occasionally especially since this last fill to bring me to the sweet spot. I am losing 1-2 lbs steadily every week and can get down most things but meat(my most favorite thing) is a hit or miss. I usually have to cook it very tender (I would anyways) and slice it thin or baby size. chicken and eggs are rough but I force myself to eat them anyways.

My stucks though don't ever seem major but they feel like a knife is stabbing me under my breasts and I have to take a deep breath like and I actually sound like it is taking my breath away, which usually just ends up slimy, and once I spit it up, the rest of the offender comes with it, making a little room.

We were out to dinner Saturday(or late lunch), I had a Protein shake that morning but was famished by 3 ish. I had a piece of grilled citrus chicken and a sweet potato from Longhorn Steakhouse, perfectly reasonable. I stared at the brown bread loaf on the table(though I don't usually tempt it) and ate a small crusty corner with some butter on it. That is what did it for me. I went to the restroom, slimed it out quickly and returned and finished. I was able to eat the sweet potato(of course) and 3/4 of the chicken (which usually kills me) and was so satisfied, no dinner was necessary. Safe to say, I see no bread in my future.

For example Breakfast this morning; husband got eggs and sausage and toast, I got a Protein Shake and 2 strawberries(though I would have liked the eggs, I didn't feel like working hard for them) I get a little looser in the evening. I mean I can eat them but it takes me forever. Eggs are not good cold and heating them up makes them tougher.

Elcee and adagray, you are both right on the uncooked pork thing. Trichinosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I had to hear the word "trichinosis" every time my mother burned pork chops into oblivion. They had the consistency of treated lumber and no amount of applesauce couple reconstitute them.

LOL My mother-in-law can't let go of overcooking pork either. And, she has the butcher cut lamb chops extra thin and cooks them to the 'consistency of treated lumber' as well. I just look at them and feel stuck. So, I just eat the side dishes when I go over to her place for dinner and drink a Protein shot on the way home.

I have been cooking and eating meats too. and have had some minor "stucks" but I find if I eat tenderloin of pork or filet mingon, no problems. this is good because they are less fatty meats. Other meats need the crock pot to tenderize the food. I had 2 baby back ribs the other night! mmmm! and they went down easy with the right size bights. I go for my first fill tonight so all this may change. :thumbup:

My surgery is a week from today and I'm reading this and wondering.... do I really want to do this? If I do, I'll never touch meat after reading this.

My surgery is a week from today and I'm reading this and wondering.... do I really want to do this? If I do, I'll never touch meat after reading this.

If you're having reservations, it's better to address them now with your doctor. You don't want to get into a situation in which you felt you made a decision based on unclear information.

Everybody's different. I eat meat all the time, and this was the first time I'd been stuck. Like other posters have suggested, I think it has more to do with how you cook the meat, than what kind of meat you cook.

Looking back, I think my problem with the pork chops were that I am a true southern girl who fries her porkchops until they resemble hockey pucks...no self respecting hillbilly housewife would cook 'em any differently (LOL!) But after this experience, I'm thinking of becoming more open-minded to different cooking methods! ; )

Don't get discouraged - remember that everyone is different. Your experience with meat may be better - it may be worse. But in my opinion, I think it's worth giving up my fried hockey pucks. I've lost 63 lbs in the last 4 months, and I'm happy. So I guess the result is worth the cost for me! :Banane20:

Whatever you do, make sure you continue to research as much as you can before you have the surgery, and discuss any questions you have with your doctor or your nutritionist. :thumbup: Good luck!

I read on here somewhere to try meat tenderizer in Water to get un-stuck. I thought there was no way I would do that, until I ended up stuck on a piece of chicken the other night that I forgot to chew, chew, chew. I got desperate & went for the meat tenderizer & sure enough...it helped it to pass surprisingly. I now carry meat tenderizer with me everywhere I go. :thumbup:

I read on here somewhere to try meat tenderizer in Water to get un-stuck. I thought there was no way I would do that, until I ended up stuck on a piece of chicken the other night that I forgot to chew, chew, chew. I got desperate & went for the meat tenderizer & sure enough...it helped it to pass surprisingly. I now carry meat tenderizer with me everywhere I go. :thumbup:

That's a REALLY good idea. I'm gonna have to get me some of that! Thanks!:Banane20:

I use that for bug bites... works terrifically. Just mix with Water and apply to a nagging, itchy, bite. I've been having trouble finding it lately in the supermarkets... I'll have to look better.

I was excited about the surgery until I read a few things here on the forum. Is it too late to chicken out?

I have so much money already invested in this.... I like the weight loss parts, I like not being hungry.... but I'm the type of person who wants to eat what I'm in the mood for. I do eat on the healthy side most of the time... no sugar and very little flour.... I do use whole grain Pasta... Splenda.... I do like eating a lot of Protein because it keeps me from getting hungry.... but will I never ever be able to enjoy a pizza, or have a sandwich again? A nice lean burger on a whole grain bun with lettuce, pickle and mayo? But in early April the program put me on South Beach... I finished Phase 1 and lost about 3 lbs. I started Phase 2 and stalled. They told me to go back to Phase 1 so I have been on Phase 1 since April and I am getting very sick of eggs for breakfast.... cottage cheese for lunch and meat and veggies for supper. I could probably lived the rest of my life on Phase 2 but this Phase 1 is killing me.

Tonight I cooked chicken breasts in Tomato sauce, covered them in Provolone and made whole wheat Pasta for hubby and just couldn't resist a very small amount... it's been so long!!! I then walk a mile and swim if the weather is good... and I just can't lose.

Edited by Barbee

.... but will I never ever be able to enjoy a pizza, or have a sandwich again? A nice lean burger on a whole grain bun with lettuce, pickle and mayo?

I eat pizza at least once a week - and I had a lean burger last night. The tricky part is the bread for me. So I started using the Sara Lee Sandwich Rounds instead of Buns (or bread if I want a sandwich). They're great and they are awesome with some lunchmeat, bacon, and pepperjack under the broiler. YUMMY!! And if you are a rice person and can't bear the idea of never eating rice again, use brown rice instead of white. A lot of times, it's just a matter of doing things a little differently.

The thing about the band is that every BODY and every SURGEON is different. Some docs have very strict rules, others don't. My doc told me that as long as I budget my calories and make good choices 90% of the time, then an occasional slice of pizza is fine. If I stop losing weight, then we have to re-evaluate that philosophy a little. But he allows me to live my life, and enjoy doing it. The way he described it to me was, "You should be able to still eat most of the things you love, just in smaller quantities." And I have a responsibility to myself to try to find healthier things to enjoy. :thumbup: Like I said, I've lost 63 lbs in 4 months doing it this way...I haven't felt really deprived of anything (once I got past the liquid post op diet, that is). The only thing I've craved that I absolutely can't have is a fast food burger. The bread is too much for me. But I did see where Sonic has a grilled chicken sandwhich on whole wheat bread now!! Tried it once last week, and it went down fine. So even though it seems that pork chops are not my best friend in the world, all is not lost! :Banane20: Woo hoo!! :party: