Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on June 14th and it has been such a struggle. First, the band broke when they put it on, the doctor had never heard of that. I wish they had gave up but he put a new one on. Then, when I woke up with a belly full of air my lungs were not working and I almost coded. I had lots of dry heaving and pain.:thumbup: I was getting sick from all the pain meds and I such bad pain. I know this is rare but when I read about everything that could happen I didn't think it would happen to me.

Since I finally got out of the hospital I have been feeling so depressed and wishing I didn't do this to myself. I really want to believe I am gonna get over this but I honestly feel so sad.

Also, my doctor is going out of town so I have to be on a clear liquid diet until the 29th instead 0f 22nd. God, I feel like I made a horrible mistake. :smilielol5:

You need to get out and walk around, you have your band focus on the future when your not in pain and your down 50 pounds!! You can do this hang in there, pain meds and anesthsia sometimes make people depressed try to hang in there.... I love my band and I can not imagine life without it... You can do this.

Surgery can be hell. It affects people differently.Once the pain starts diminishing and your energy levels return you will start feeling better and will be so glad that you did this. It is amazing when that ugly fat starts coming off and staying off.

Are you only allowed Clear liquids. Maybe you should call the Dr's office and check. I found being able to eat Soup made me feel heaps better - they got rid of the post surgery nausea that I was suffering from. Even if your Dr is out of town if you call the office they should be able to advise you.

Hang in there Eri! I didn't have all the same traumas, but had a rough patch following surgery [reacted badly to the pain med, dry heaves everytime they sat me up, lots of pain, terrible gas and nausea]. I had days of wondering what I had done to myself, particularly when I wasn't even able to get out of bed to check in here. Fast forward to day 7 post op and it was like someone flipped a switch and I felt 100% better. By two weeks it was like i had never had surgery. Now, 2 months out I am giddy with my progress and wouldn't change my decision to get the band for anything. Be good to yourself, take it slow and have faith. Keep in touch with people here, the support will make it easier. :thumbup:

OMG you have had it rough. Your body is probably been knocked about a bit more than most. If it broke while being put on you have had basially had double the trauma to your stomach. It may have swelled more than most. Hang in there it will hopefully start to subside very soon. Have you got a diet plan for post op, is there a reason why you have to wait for the doc to be back in town.

Jo

Hi Eri,

I didn't have problems for surgery, but after was a nightmare... Pain was dreadful, and I too really really regretted my decision to have the band. I must admit for two to three weeks after I really just wished I hadn't done it.

I am now 9 weeks post op and have had problems with my band but I guess it took me such a long time to make this decision to have the band I am slowely working through it. Perhaps try and look forward and remember why you wanted the band in the first place. We are all here on the same journey, some a little rockier than others but keep focused on the main goal. You will get better, be positive.

I wish you all the best and you will find once you start losing weight it will not be a decision you regret.

I hate to hear about all the things that have happened to you. It's just awful. However, can you imagine what inspiration you can give others once you get through this? It's easy to be positive when everything goes right. It's much harder to be positive when you've been through this hell. Once you get through it you can give others advice on what helped you and what they can do to get through it as well. I feel awful for you but you will be able to turn a negative into a positive real soon. Hang in there and take good notes on what happens so you can use it for others.

You poor baby! I wish I were there, I would mother on you. I have tears in my eyes reading your post but you did a good thing! It may be a rough start but you are going to be so happy. Plus your just 23, boy I wish I had this when I was 23, its going to make your life so much easier. Think happy thoughts, a positive outlook helps so much. A few weeks of liquids is so much better than a life time of being obese. You can do it. I promise.

Hang in there. Try to think of the wonderful changes you are going to see in yourself. I can imagine what you are going through is difficult. Focus on the positive things to come. Don't loose site of your goals. :thumbup:

I am so sorry to hear all that has happened to you. It is a horrible experience.

I know once you are feeling better, you will be so happy with your band. I love mine!

Hope you are feeling better soon. Hang in there!

I had my surgery on the 15th. I was in horrible pain as well for the 3 days following. Today 5 days post op it was like I woke up and someone flipped the feel better switch. No pain meds now for 24 hours, i acutally took a shower and got dressed into everyday clothes. Told my husband that I needed to get out of this house didn't matter where we went. So he took me to the store and we just walked around then we went to eat and park and they ordered from the menu while I had chicken Soup broth (still on a liquid diet). it felt great.

Yesterday I was feeling depressed, asking myself why I did this to myself and regreting the life long decision. then today i felt 100% better. Your body went through more trauma then mine so hang in there and your switch will flip one morning too. It is really amazing how much better you feel overnight.

Hang in there- This will pass and you will be so excited to see the weight falling off. In hindsight I would have loved to been forced to stay on liquids longer than I was because it seems like those who stayed on liquids longer lost a lot of weight in those first few post op weeks. Good Luck!

what a nightmare! sorry that happened to you! I'm concerned that you are on "clears" for so long. You need Protein, and food! I agree that warm Soup makes me feel SOOO much better. I have to strain it.. but it's comforting. I would call the office and say you can't do Clear Liquids any more.. and there must be a covering doctor that you could see or even speak too. I've been a nurse for 25 years and EVERYONE has to have someone covering for them, when they leave town. Be sure they know your situation.. but girl.. you need full liquids so you can have Protein Shakes and soup. There are power shots that are clear liquid with tons of protein. make sure someone gets you some of those. You should be getting at least 60 grams of protein EACH day in order to heal correctly! Best of luck, keeping you in my positive thoughts. I am just one week today,and it kicked my butt post op too, but I'm sticking with it. the best is yet to come!!!