Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am one week post op, and i know im only suppose to be on liquids.. but.. today i had a low cal jamba juice for Breakfast and a Soup with bits of chicken (which i ate) for lunch. How important is it to stick to this level 1 liquid diet? have any of your cheated?? what is the risk? i just don't really know if im hurting something. plz advise. thanks.

blk-weight.png

Edited by regina22

Your band is stitched in place, when you eat food your stomach contracts and can loosen the stitches leading to a slipped band.

The liquid diet is not a "diet" so you lose weight its a health precaution. I cant stress it enough that you have to follow your Dr's instructions.

:blush:Thank you.. I will not do this again and will tell my doctor at my first visit of my misbehavior. im just starting to get really hungry!

It is so frustrating how every doctor gives different explanations and directions. I am 17 days post-op and during my first week my doc said it was ok to go into mushies and as of last weekend doc said I can eat almost anything as long as I chew chew chew and stay away from dry tough foods. I don't mean to confuse. As far as the stitching I believe the only stitches are the ones by the port so how can your band slip. Anyway just so you know I have been doing just fine. I have had salads with chicken, vegetable Soup, mashed plantain, and more and I have lost 17lbs since surgery.

Good luck in your journey.

Cynthia

My understanding is that the only thing stitched is the port...not the band. If the band was stitched and it did slip whether it was through the patients fault or not it would rip the stomach...at least that is what i think.

I am sure every doctor is different in the way they perform this surgery but I got pictures of my band wrapped around my stomach and my doctor had actually pulled part of my stomach up and over the band and stiched it so the band would not slip and so the band is not exposed inside. The pics are pretty grusome but a good reminder of whats going on inside my mid section. There are stiches in my stomach and I had to be on a very strict diet because of it. I think it depends a lot on the person too and how quickly you can heal from this. Good luck!

Since I'd read a lot about liquid, mushy, etc. diet post surgery, I was very surprised when my doctor told me I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I took small bites and chewed them well. He's the doc, so I did as he instructed. I lost some weight post surgery, but it didn't really get going good until after my second fill.

Once again, each surgeon is different. If yours gives you instructions on following a diet after surgery its because he knows how he installed the band. I know for a fact that my Dr stitches the stomach around the band, and then you are on a liquid diet because of that. Maybe your Dr doesn't and thats why you can eat immediately, however, implying that its OK for Regina to ignore her Dr's instruction just because your Dr is different is doing her a disservice.

Regina, I'm sure the little bit of chicken Soup didn't hurt you but I think it is the best plan for you to follow your Dr's directions until you are healed. Even if there is just a 1 in a 1000 chance that something could happen to the band I think that is too much of a risk.

Good luck and remember a few weeks of bandster hell is better than a lifetime of being fat. (Thats what I told myself to get through it.)

I didn't imply my doctor's instructions are appropriate for anyone but me. Please try not to read more into a post than is actually there. :smile2:

In the interests of full disclosure, I was on liquids for several days post surgery, but never was on mushies, etc.

Edited by Llyra

Oh good information! I wondered why I had to stay on liquids, then full liquids, them pureed, etc. . .NOW I get it. . the stomach contracts! Ah HA! My stomach is flipped over the top and stitched as well. Thanks!

my band was stitched in also. OP, don't sweat the Soup, but try to remember the healing process. Just like you wouldn't go against the surgeon's recommendation for showers, or activity these instructions are for healing on the inside.

Hang in there....I remember that starving feeling! You want something "real"! (especially if you had a horribly strict pre op diet like I did) I started with the chicken Soup at hands with the mini star noodles....that really helped me get thru the liquid/mushy stage. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

I stayed on my liquid diet, but I completely skipped the blenderized diet. I went straight from liquid to soft foods. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't do the blenderized thing. Yuk!

I thought stitching the stomach over the band was standard? I know all post op diets differ.

I was very hungry on mine, when my surgeon called to check on me I told him the Clear liquids were not doing it for me. He allowed me to move on to full liquids a few days early because I was doing well.

My point is, call your doc and see if there is something you can add in that might satisfy you but could be easier on the stomach than chicken.

Best wishes in your journey!

Not to be an enabler, and everyone is different, but my Dr stiched my stomach over as well to prevent slipping. I was told by my Dr that only reason for the diet the first month is to prevent slipping from food getting stuck and vomiting. I was told 2 days of Clear Liquids, 3-14 any liquids/puree, 15-28 soft foods and 4 oz of anything you can tolerate after that.

After 10 days I was eating scrambled eggs and bacon (I chew them to a pulp though). Last weekend I had a 4oz filet mignon, again chewed to a pulp. I have not had a fill and I have not had anything stuck. I am 27 days now and have been eating the 4oz of anything for the past week with no issues.

Good luck, and EXERCISE!!