Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Consult and the Hard Sell

I had my first consult today, where I met with the Dr. and the dietitian. Everything was going great until we got to the part where we discussed what type of surgery was best for me. They both recommended the gastric bypass because they felt that I have a lot of weight to lose and that would be the best fit. I'm 278 - they recommend a 104 lb weight loss.

Here's the thing. I am dead set against gastric bypass, I want the lap band. I cannot wrap my brain around that my organs would be cut apart and after witnessing my aunt, my best friend and a client go through horrible complications with GB, I simply cannot do it. They were such a hard sell though, at one point I was just about to give up on doing any surgery at all. They were saying things like "you'll only be able to lose like 40-50 lbs and you're comfortable with that??" I was asked that more than once. My long term goal is to get pregnant, so they even started talking that up saying, do it for you future baby,etc. They were saying that other drs have had patients with complications but THIS dr. did not have many cases with those problems.

I honestly felt like I was at a car dealership. I was at a point I was almost in tears because I simply DO NOT want to cut my internal organs but they were making such a strong case against lap band.

It ended up where they gave in and said they would support whatever decision I make. I went on to have other tests done after that (chest xray - bloodwork - ekg and also have the barium swallow test Monday), and I am going to do this, but has anyone else had an experience like this?

I could have taken two paths, either don't do either surgery or get the lap band and prove them wrong. I came to the conclusion that maybe they get paid more to do gastric vs. lap band? Thoughts?

You have a 3rd option. Go and see another surgeon. If this one is so bypass focused he is probably not the best person to do your band if that is what you decide. You may find that you do not get the aftercare and support that you will need with banding and if you don't lose 'quickly' enough he may be one of those that turns around and says "I told you you should have had a bypass".

I will meet with the Dr for the first time Thurs, and I attended his seminar Saturday. I have a feeling I will have the same issue that u had at your Dr's. During the seminar he focused mostly on the gastric bypass. I will have to do some wheeling and dealing like u did probably. Thank goodness u stood ur ground. I plan to do the same.

You have a 3rd option. Go and see another surgeon. If this one is so bypass focused he is probably not the best person to do your band if that is what you decide. You may find that you do not get the aftercare and support that you will need with banding and if you don't lose 'quickly' enough he may be one of those that turns around and says "I told you you should have had a bypass".

That's the fun part, he's the only one that is close to my home. The next closest one is an hour and a half away...

That doesnt seem like a healthy consult... I feel like you in regards to wanting the lapband because its less invasive and the one thing I did like about my surgeon's philosophy is that she thinks you should go with the procedure you believe in.

Its okay to give an opinion but it seems like the surgeon was trying to make you do something you don't feel comfortable doing.

I agree about getting another opinion.

An hour and a half isn't that far away. My surgeon is between 1 hr and 1.5 hours away depending on the traffic.I suppose I am used to travelling because I live in a small town but there is another surgeon much closer (about 30 min away). I chose my surgeon based on his amazing reputation and the distance to get there didn't even enter the decision making process.

I agree it sounds like a car salesman. I would not want them doing my surgery due to you might not get the correct lap band after care. I would drive the extra distance and get a different doctor. I wouldn't settle for a physician only for location when they will be going in my body and doing surgery. This is a life changing thing and should be done by a caring person I think.

Edited by PuppyBandit
not done lol

my doc (im in Alabama) has stopped doing gastric bypass. He does only lapband now. He believes there are so many negatives to gb as opposed to lp which is reversible and there is no major intervention to major organs. Change clinics and get a 2nd opinion!! I am having lp tomorrow and would have never considered gb!! With lp they recommend waiting 18 months b4 getting preggo!!

Where do they get that you will only lose 30-40 pounds? You make the band work for you, if you follow the rules eat right and excercise you could lose way more than that. My mom lost 90 pounds, and so far I have lost 57 pounds. Find a new surgeon and do what is best for you! Good luck on your journey.

I have 2 Dr's within 10 miles of my house and I drive 2 hours to see the one who did my surgery.

When I went in for my initial consult the surgeon was telling me that people do lose more weight on the by-pass and with my BMI being so high NORMALLY she would recommend by-pass. BUT she also said its more for people who have over 200 lbs to lose and while my BMI is high its that way because Im short. Im 5'2" and weight 275 (at the time I saw her) which is why she said my BMI was higher. She thought I would do well with the lapband and I need to lose about 140 lbs.

I would get a second opinion. Even if the doctor is over an hour away a second opinion is invaluable. you may decide you really like that doctor and dont mind the drive for the peace of mind you will have in being comfortable with your doctor. Good luck!

You might be on to something, there is about $11,000 difference between lap-band and GB at the hospital I used. I agree with the others here, need to have a second opinion from someone more open minded.:)

My surgeon does multiple weight loss procedures. I told him I would only do the Lap-Band. He laughed in the face of other surgeons who push one procedure over another.

I walked into his office and told him I had been preparing for LB and making the behavior and lifestyle changes needed in advance of meeting him.

He said both procedures would be beneficial for me but the LP was going to take more work because of my size. I told him I was fine with that. He said larger people are often pushed away from the band because of likelihood that the weight will not all come off so easily. My surgeon will place a LB in a patient 50+ BMI like me only if they are in the right mindset to make the changes required to be a good bandster.

I agree that you should see another surgeon to get another opinion. I am much larger than you from a weight standpoint though everyone height/weight combination creates a different set of circumstances.

Edited by IAmJacksLapBand

Great advice everyone. Thank you so much!

You should definitely get another opinion. My friend's mom got the band at 400 pounds. She's now 160 and looks great.