Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering what you can have when you go out to eat after surgery? Will I ever be able to eat at the Olive Garden again?

Went there last week...had a little Soup, a little something chickeny/cheesie and loved every bite of it. I'm at the point that bread and Pasta are not my friend so none of that.

As time passes you will find that you can eat at almost any place..just pick the best dish for you. Wendy's is great to start with the Chili is great even pureed and then eat it regularly when you are craving fast food. Almost all places have a chicken dish..ask for a to go box..you will not be able to eat it all. Look at the appetizers...they may be the better choices as well as the smaller portions..not always though.

I can't do Pasta or bread, so I avoid Olive Garden. I do go out to eat often and get Soup or chili most of the time.

I would probably do Soup and salad if I was going to Olive Garden. I love their salad and salad is never a problem for me. Personally, I would avoid all of the Pasta dishes. I sometimes have problems w/pasta (unless it is gluten free) so I just avoid it when I go out. Also, I'm sure you already know this, but the breadsticks probably won't work for you now that you are banded. bread seems to be the #1 thing people have problems with.

I eat out A TON! I always get Soup or a side salad when nothing else is there. I can do any shell fish, I do a lot of shrimp and crab. I seriously get shrimp anywhere I go. SOme places you can add shrimp to a dish so I do that. I always order off the appetizer menu. chips and salsa are good for me. I dont/cant do fried. Lots of places now are doing something called "small bites" or "tastings" which is a mini appetizer. I LOVE THESE. They are like 3-5 dollar little items like chicken dumplings, chips and guacamole, mini taco, etc. I can eat anywhere, you just have to look.

Yes, I agree, that Soup and salad will soon become your friends while eating out. I always ask for the children's menu too and check that out. Sometimes I order and then have them cut the portion in half before bringing it to me. That way I have lunch for tomorrow all boxed up nice. I, too, eat a lot of Soups or salads with chicken on top. I can only eat about a cup of food now so I don't eat out much any more; only occasionally. Also, I order ice Water to start and finish it before they bring my meal. I cover the glass with a small plate so the waiter doesn't refill it. The plate reminds me not to have any more with dinner or after. Hope this all helps! Best wishes!!! ps. I can't do pastas or breads any more either :(

When eating out, I usually get the "veggie plate"--veggies are usually soft and go down easily.

Also, I order fish (but not fried)--almost all restaurants have fish on their menu! Sometimes I find myself even craving it! Great Protein source!

We eat out a lot too and I LOVE OLIVE GARDEN!! salad is not a problem for me so I have about 1/2 bowl of that. And if I really really want some of the breadstick I will take a little pinch off the end where it is crusty, and I've only done that 1 time out of 3 that we've been there.

My FAVORITE menu item at Olive Garden is the Mixed Grill and I get it with all chicken. There is NO Pasta with this dish. It is all grilled chicken on a kabob with bell peppers & onions in the most amazing marinade...keeps it all moist. It comes with steamed veggies like squash & zucchini and roasted potatoes. I put 1/2 in a to go box right off the bat. 1/2 of a full order of all chicken mixed grill has 315 calories, 43 g Protein, 10 g fat and 10 net carbs.

Or....if I'm in the mood for spaghetti I get spaghetti and meatballs hold the Pasta. I don't even miss the pasta.

In a mexican restaurant I'll order a burrito or enchiladas and just eat the filling, not the actual tortilla....or a taco salad, or sometimes fajitas (i don't eat the tortillas). I also always order it with ground beef not shredded beef.

Chinese...pork & seeds & an egg roll or sometimes cashew chicken, no rice. Rice, chow mein, and lo mein are not my friends.

Tonight I had pizza for the first time since banded...Papa Murphy's thin crust combination with some salad. AWESOME!!!

So yes, you will be able to eat out again. During my pre-op diet I left 2 restaurants crying and posted that I thought I'd never feel normal in a restaurant again....so you're not alone!!! But it will get better. The first couple weeks after surgery are the worst but it all gets so much better after that!!

I love Olive Garden and have eaten there a few times post surgery. I found that getting a dish that is moist is the key, even with a Pasta. I cut the pasta up really fine and always get a chicken dish. I LOVE their salad. Good luck and enjoy.

I have a lapband pen pal and she was telling me she ate at olive garden the other day. you know how you get a discount at restaraunts if you show them your lapband card, well Olive Garden doesnt honor that but they do allow you to order off the childrens menu apparently. She had chicken off the kids mea section and still didnt eat it all.

My first real meal 8 days after my surgery, was at Red Lobster. I ordered the 2 choices meal, the Shrimp Scampi and the fried fish, a baked potato. I ate one piece of the fish, 3 shrimps and half the baked potato. I made sure and chewed real well and had no problems. I just was a little nervous, because it was my first meal. Not the wisest of food choices, but couldn't even come close to finishing it all.

I went to OG a few weeks ago. I had some salad and something that I had never tried. It was a Grilled chicken with citrus apricot sauce and it was served with steamed broccoli and tomatoes and some asparagus. It was really good.

I ate at olive garden the other day I had a grilled chicken caesar salad it was very good ate most of the chicken and a little salad:thumbup:

It has been 6 weeks since I had surgery... I can eat anything except fried eggs and toast... I hear about a lot of ppl having problems with salad and past and so on.. is it bc I am not filled good yet or what? And also has anyone had the problem of tasting their fills.. I always wonder why I should taste them if they are going through a tube...lol