Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all. I am on here looking for help or moral support. I am a stress eatter. I've found that out the hard way. I was banded on December 21st. Everything was going great. I had a port flip and that was fixed on the 14th of May. I'm trying to get into the mind set again that everything will be fine. I have a lot of stress going on in my life lately and I seem to turn to food for comfort even with the band on. Lately, for some reason, I've been throwing up food too. I could eat a cup of food but I still find myself throwing the food up. I guess I'm wondering how to get my mind to stop thinking like I did before I had the band put on and how to get myself to get away from the food for comfort.

I would recommend a therapist. Hopefully they can help you work through some of your other issues. Making your stomach smaller unfortunately doesn't fix our minds :smile2:

Best of luck to you.

That's a good suggestion but right now not a possibility. My family is moving so I am too. I'm having some trouble with this and apparently turn to food. I'm just looking for a way to not do that. I'd appriciate any other suggestions.

I was having a hard time at night after work and the stress of the day would catch up with me and I would eat like a pig and then I got a few books on weight loss surgery and just started to read them and that gave my mind something to distract it away from food. You need to stop throwing up though because my mother did that and her band slipped and she almost died and had to have her band removed by emergency surgery. It was terrible. I haven't thrown up yet and I was banded Sept. 28th, so I guess I am just lucky. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I have found I have problems eating when I get stressed out, the band seems to tighten up, your mind is not on eating and we tend to eat to fast, take too large of bites, not chew enough and food gets stuck. If this continues you may need to have some fill removed to loosen your band and allow any irritation and swelling to settle down. I went through this last year, the doctor removed half of my fill level and I felt so much better by that evening.

I am with you on the stress eating. The way I am dealing with it is to come here often. I think LBT has become my new addiction! Sometimes I post, or blog about how I am feeling, and other times I just read about other peoples experience. I am so thankful for people willing to share their stories. I feel like I am making new friends, but mostly it really helps to know people who really know how I am feeling! Good Luck!

You already have lots of good suggestions. My 2 cents is to start an excersise program. It is a great stress reducer. Start off slow and gradually increase your intensity and/or duration. Keep us posted on how your doing.

I'm pretty new at all this since I was just banded on April 26. I'm doing good. I haven't thrown up at all. Not sure what your food intake is, but I've been told to stay away from carbs. I eat very little bread, if any, it will be mexican tortillas, if I eat any carbs, I only eat like a table spoon full. I've really been concentrating more on eating Proteins, chewing and drinking and drinking lots.

When you feel stressed and want to eat, stick to Jello or sugar free popcicles.

Try to eliminate the stress in your life. Hope things get better soon.

You can do it! :smile2:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches